The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Civil Engineering IT

Hi there!
I’m starting Civil Engineering in September but need to get a laptop/iPad to work on.
Does anyone know how much of the course you spend using CAD Etc?
I like being able to use a stylus for marking up PDFs but I’m worried an iPad won’t be able to do everything I need and 2in1 laptops generally don’t have dedicated graphics (unless they are mega expensive!) so won’t be suitable if we use CAD all the time! (Obviously not an issue if it’s rarely used)
Anyone have any suggestions? I like using Macs but I don’t think they will be powerful enough and dont really want to be buying an iPad too for the stylus support!💸
Thanks very much 😁
Original post by Fn242
Hi there!
I’m starting Civil Engineering in September but need to get a laptop/iPad to work on.
Does anyone know how much of the course you spend using CAD Etc?
I like being able to use a stylus for marking up PDFs but I’m worried an iPad won’t be able to do everything I need and 2in1 laptops generally don’t have dedicated graphics (unless they are mega expensive!) so won’t be suitable if we use CAD all the time! (Obviously not an issue if it’s rarely used)
Anyone have any suggestions? I like using Macs but I don’t think they will be powerful enough and dont really want to be buying an iPad too for the stylus support!💸
Thanks very much 😁

Hi, I am literally in your position now lmao and have the same question... did you end up buying an iPad? I am thinking of buying a surface pro or smth - would this be good enough? Thanks!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Latest