The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Aircrew

I am very interested in applying to be aircrew in the Navy but cannot seem to find a person spec on the website. I see that the joining age is 17-26, compared to 17-23 for the RAF, why is this?

I have recently turned 25 so really need to get things moving along if I wish to do this, so if anyone has any information it would be gratefully received.

For the graduate entry, does one have to have a specific degree/degree class?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it depends on the nature of the job you want to apply for. If you want to be a pilot the requirements are different than if you want to be a member of the team who services the aircraft.

Best thing you can do is go down to your local Royal Navy recruitment office (Im not sure where you live or I would recommend one) and have a chat with them. They're very friendly and can advise you on your options and what you need.
Reply 2
AdaD
I am very interested in applying to be aircrew in the Navy but cannot seem to find a person spec on the website. I see that the joining age is 17-26, compared to 17-23 for the RAF, why is this?

Because the Navy is sneaky and is deliberately trying to pinch people who have just fallen outside the RAF's requirements.

Or more likely, the RAF receives a much higher number of applicants, so can narrow its requirements down to the "perfect" age range for school leavers and graduates. It doesn't need to look at 25/26 year olds because it has so many applicants, perfectly suited, who are within its bracket.

Likewise, there are slightly different attitudes towards certain medical conditions. The FAA doesn't have as large a pool of applicants relative to its intake requirements, so its necessary to cast a slightly different net.

AdaD
I have recently turned 25 so really need to get things moving along if I wish to do this, so if anyone has any information it would be gratefully received.

For the graduate entry, does one have to have a specific degree/degree class?

No, you just need "a degree" of some variety. Get yourself to the RN careers website, look up your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office, and give them a ring to arrange a visit.

And bearing in mind your age, while they can occasionally be a little flexible, don't count on it. Ring them tomorrow!
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice.. I shall be proactive and get some information.

I accept that my age will work against me but it's worth a shot. If I don't try, I'll never know!

Also, I'd really only want to fly (obv not fast jets as not capable) so would like to know if the same requirements, as the RAF, eyesight etc, apply to the Navy. How does one measure their aptitude for such roles?

I've never had any flying experience or anything in my life that suggests that I would be capable, so how would I convince someone of my desire.
Reply 4
AdaD
Thanks for the advice.. I shall be proactive and get some information.

I accept that my age will work against me but it's worth a shot. If I don't try, I'll never know!

Also, I'd really only want to fly (obv not fast jets as not capable) so would like to know if the same requirements, as the RAF, eyesight etc, apply to the Navy. How does one measure their aptitude for such roles?

I've never had any flying experience or anything in my life that suggests that I would be capable, so how would I convince someone of my desire.

Why do you say not capable of flying fast jets?

As per medical requirements, they're broadly the same, but not as anal about them as the RAF. As mentioned earlier, the RAF can afford to be a lot pickier, the FAA will take a lot of people the RAF cannot.

As for aptitude, don't worry, they measure it for you. There's not a great deal you can do to improve it [some things, sure, but not a lot] but being very quick and sharp with mental arithmetic would give you a significant boost.
Reply 5
Drewski
Why do you say not capable of flying fast jets?

I guess because I'm 25, no flying experience whatsoever and took the business educational route (only a 2:2 degree) so it is a world away from flying a jet at 500mph!

Obv the RAF is out anyway, age wise but is it a realistic possibility that I could fly in the Navy? The upper age limit on joining being 26 is still achievable but how long does the recruitment process take?

I don't know if I am setting unrealistic targets but I am not happy in accountancy and just think that flying in the military would be such an exhilarating and worthwhile experience. I'm seeking as much info as possible as I don't want to simply quit my job and end up with nothing if my 'dream' is not possible!
Reply 6
AdaD
I guess because I'm 25, no flying experience whatsoever and took the business educational route (only a 2:2 degree) so it is a world away from flying a jet at 500mph!

Obv the RAF is out anyway, age wise but is it a realistic possibility that I could fly in the Navy? The upper age limit on joining being 26 is still achievable but how long does the recruitment process take?

I don't know if I am setting unrealistic targets but I am not happy in accountancy and just think that flying in the military would be such an exhilarating and worthwhile experience. I'm seeking as much info as possible as I don't want to simply quit my job and end up with nothing if my 'dream' is not possible!

Means nothing.

Yeah, your age and previous experience doesn't make you think you'll be good - but it also shouldn't amke you think you'll be bad.

As I see it, the only barrier to you flying FJ in the Navy would be their relative lack of slots for such pilots.

Anyway, as for the rest of your questions, look around the posts and threads here, there's more than enough info.
Reply 7
I guess I am creating barriers in my own mind!

I am the sort of person to leave things so I think the best bet would be to put my full efforts into an application and see how it goes; if I am rejected, at least I have tried!

Before I do, I'd like to read up on relevant issues and am wondering if there are any specific resources to check out (obvious websites aside)?

Thanks for the replies, will check out some other posts for info.
Reply 8
Just had a look through the practice tests on the Navy website. For a pilot, which one(s) would they be looking for one to excel in?
Reasoning, verbal ability, numeracy and/or mechanics?
Reply 9
All, really. Though numeracy especcially.

As an officer you'd be expected to be pretty good across the board.

As for websites, you've already found one [the Navy's], then try the MoD's, and then news sites. Also other forums: rum ration and pprune.
Reply 10
Thank you.

I think the mechanics one would be my downfall. Any thoughts on how I can improve upon this? Websites, text books, courses etc?

Do you have any idea how long the application process is?
AdaD
Thank you.

I think the mechanics one would be my downfall. Any thoughts on how I can improve upon this? Websites, text books, courses etc?

Do you have any idea how long the application process is?

RumRation might be of great help to you - AIB thread and all. Start learning your ships and your role, current affairs, Navy Knowledge, SDT, deployments etc. and you should be fine. You have to do a simple Ratings test at the AFCO which is to assess your numeracy and literacy ability as well as a small bit of mechanical type stuff. It was in place to filter ratings into a suitable job but now used a pre-cursor to filter out officers who aren't up to scratch.
Reply 12
Game over for my dream it seems, I wear contact lenses so Aircrew is a no go area!
Reply 13
What about Nav?
Reply 14
I noticed that its been mentioned that a degree is required for Navy pilot training. Im currently in the testing stage with my application and although i have good A level results i have no degree at all and the recruiter at the AFCO still nearly bit my arm off when i said i would be interested in the FAA.
Reply 15
BEN_H100
What about Nav?

What is nav?
Observer = RN
WSO = RAF - used to be called Navigator

The brains behind the pilot :wink:
Reply 17
AdaD
What is nav?

It's like a combined butler, R2 unit, and mechanic.

They carry all your maps and stuff for you, do some boring domestic stuff with the aircraft kit you're too important to sort out, help with some boring en route jobs when airborne, and then check and refill the oil when you landaway. Then do your logbook. Then make the coffee. Then take the ugly ones.
If you want to give it a shot get the heck on with it at your age; the Navy application process can take a pretty long time (especially with their silly sift AIB expiry date business)!
Reply 19
Hi guys,

I have already had my general service medical and passed it. However I am aware that I have a Aircrew specific medical after AIB. My question is, what exactly does this entail/

Cheers,

Dave

Quick Reply

Latest