The Student Room Group

Near miss and dangerous driving- can I be reported and what will happen?

Hi I have some questions and just want some clarity on a driving situation. I am a careful driver but today was just ridiculous I kept making mistakes after another and I’m shaken up to the point I feel I’ll to think what will happen.
1st I had to put my satnav on to go through Glasgow I thought I had put on avoid motorways option but it turns out I forgot to switch it back so I ended up on the m8 in the centre of Glasgow. I was confused by the rapid differences in speeds and the fact others where just speeding. On a small 30 section between the road and bridge I got peeped at for going 30 so I stupidly sped up as other drivers around me where going to fast.

Still on the m8 and I have no idea what lane to be in and o got stuck in the middle lane. The satnav was telling me to merge into the left so I did all my checks (three times) before merging and as I did there was a car right there. I drove back but it was a near miss. I didn’t hear anything to indicate a hit or scrape so I don’t think they got hit. I was going at the speed limit of 50 but they must have been going way faster as I hadn’t even seen them get closer ( there was also a van behind so in hindsight I should have checked again).

The most stupid was that I was coming back from Glashow by the back roads. I had just turned left off the roundabout and going straight when a bus came onto the road and I nearly collided with it. I then realised my indicator was still ticking to turn left. I had just tuned out of the noise listening to the satnav instructions. No one got hurt but was a third (second being I was taken into the wrong lane of a roundabout and trying to merge into the left when a car on the right peeped me cause he was trying to get into the left lane. Both at fault but I had checked mirrors and blond spots and it looked ok to merge) near miss incident.

I’m really shaken up because of how stupid the bus one was and how dangerous. No one got hurt and the bus continued. I know bus drivers have cameras to record bus users can he use this to report me for dangerous driving? And if I do what are the consequences?
Can the driver on the m8 also report me for a near miss? And should I report myself as the one on the motorway he was speeding and I feel so guilty at causing danger to anyone driving because of my stupidity.
I am always so anxious about my speed and safety and drive carefully but today it just was a mess. I had been driving for too long and getting tired and it’s my fault.

I am on my parents insurance and if anything happens I will not be trusted to drive again. I’ve only been driving less than a year.

Scroll to see replies

Probably, but unlikely they would bother reporting, it's not like they get a bonus for it.

The lesson here should be to get your nose out the satnav and watch the road. And give way to all black Mercs in the M8 area.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Probably, but unlikely they would bother reporting, it'like they get a bonus for it.

The lesson here should be to get your nose out the satnav and watch the road. And give way to all black Mercs in the M8 area.

I hope he doesn’t report me. And yes I’ll be much more careful! I was relying to much on maybe satnav telling me where to go as I don’t look at it to often so I am not too distracted. It looked safe for me to merge and I had been indicating to merge for a while, I just don’t get that is I missed that car I had looked all around multiple times and even checked my vblind sot before I moved over. They must have driven up quick
Original post by Wend1876
I hope he doesn’t report me. And yes I’ll be much more careful! I was relying to much on maybe satnav telling me where to go as I don’t look at it to often so I am not too distracted. It looked safe for me to merge and I had been indicating to merge for a while, I just don’t get that is I missed that car I had looked all around multiple times and even checked my vblind sot before I moved over. They must have driven up quick

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about a report, in Glasgow far more likely to be verbally chastised with 'WTF ARE YOU PLAYING AT YA F***IN WAHNK!?!, I'm pretty sure Bus drivers learn that on day 1.

Obv I wasn't there, but generally when a driver says 'I did all my observations and moved....AND A CAR WAS THERE!' It kinda means your observations sucked or there was a mismatch in speed judging/time management.

In my exp of work vans on the M8 'indicating to merge for a while' is often seen as cute wishful thinking. The satnav does jump out in your tale as a multiple cause of distraction though, personally I don't use one while driving, i treat it like a mobile phone.
Reply 4
Yeh about it as a definite misjudgment on my part. I just got more a fright than anything.
Yes, highly likely that you will be reported even without dashcam footage. I know loads of people that got done for careless/dangerous driving because someone provided a witness statement when they phoned 101 or reported online.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, highly likely that you will be reported even without dashcam footage. I know loads of people that got done for careless/dangerous driving because someone provided a witness statement when they phoned 101 or reported online.

Do you know how soon after the incident they got fined Ron found out they have been reported?
Do you know how soon after the incident they got fined Ron found out they have been reported?

An NIP must be provided within 14 days, unless you are stopped by police (that is a verbal NIP).
(edited 3 years ago)
To be honest you will be fine in terms of being reported - nobody is going to actually take the time to write down someones number plate and go through the effort of reporting someone to the police for a bit of careless driving. So long as you didn't smash into anyone or scrape their cars you're golden. People do stupid stuff on the roads all day its annoying but nothing more. If theres no damage on your car I'd say you haven't caused any to them.

Regarding these 'checks' you are doing - clearly they aren't good/fast enough. To check 3 times and still almost hit a car means you failed to spot something 3x - aka whatever you're doing is wrong.

Driving schools seem to teach you to actually look over your shoulder to check as well as mirrors but this for a new driver seems really rather dangerous in itself. For me I would say if you are on the motorway you realistically know what is to the left of you as it should always be slower traffic you have passed. So nothing should come flying up the left lane and undertake you as this would be illegal. But checking in your centre mirror and then your left mirror can be done with a quick glance then indicate left - look in both mirrors again then turn. Same with the right lane but actively expect there to be traffic coming there at higher speeds towards you.

Regarding the sat nav - if you ignore it it will just redirect you an alternative route. Don't compromise safety for the sake of an extra few minutes to the next junction. Also most sat navs have the next upcoming directions before you reach them and it verbalises them. There is no harm in being prepared glancing at it in a quiet safe moment then you can pre-empt what it will ask you to do.
Reply 9
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
To be honest you will be fine in terms of being reported - nobody is going to actually take the time to write down someones number plate and go through the effort of reporting someone to the police for a bit of careless driving. So long as you didn't smash into anyone or scrape their cars you're golden. People do stupid stuff on the roads all day its annoying but nothing more. If theres no damage on your car I'd say you haven't caused any to them.

Regarding these 'checks' you are doing - clearly they aren't good/fast enough. To check 3 times and still almost hit a car means you failed to spot something 3x - aka whatever you're doing is wrong.

Driving schools seem to teach you to actually look over your shoulder to check as well as mirrors but this for a new driver seems really rather dangerous in itself. For me I would say if you are on the motorway you realistically know what is to the left of you as it should always be slower traffic you have passed. So nothing should come flying up the left lane and undertake you as this would be illegal. But checking in your centre mirror and then your left mirror can be done with a quick glance then indicate left - look in both mirrors again then turn. Same with the right lane but actively expect there to be traffic coming there at higher speeds towards you.

Regarding the sat nav - if you ignore it it will just redirect you an alternative route. Don't compromise safety for the sake of an extra few minutes to the next junction. Also most sat navs have the next upcoming directions before you reach them and it verbalises them. There is no harm in being prepared glancing at it in a quiet safe moment then you can pre-empt what it will ask you to do.

There is a small paint scratch in my car but I don’t believe that was from that incident. I had been camping at the weekend and scraped the car then. I don’t believe I caused any damage to the other cars I didn’t hear or see anything. It was very close though.

I am very worried about the indicator and the bus since it wasn’t completely dangerous and I don’t know how I managed not to notice it ticking. The bus driver got a good look at my car and is in every right to report me I just wondered I should expect if I do get reported.
Reply 10
Thank you for the advice I will do better next time! I usually check my route so I know what to expect but because I had forgot to put avoid motorways it took me he route I hadn’t planned for myself why I needed up making so many mistakes

I suspect that user is/was trolling you, otherwise they wouldn't hide behind anon.
Reply 12
I suspect that user is/was trolling you, otherwise they wouldn't hide behind anon.

Thank you for the head s up! I do still expect to get something as I kneeboarding it was dangerous of me. Funny I woke up and had thought that’s this was going to be a shite driving day... should have a stayed home and watched Netflix
Thank you for the head s up! I do still expect to get something as I kneeboarding it was dangerous of me. Funny I woke up and had thought that’s this was going to be a shite driving day... should have a stayed home and watched Netflix

Honestly if nothing actually happened it's v unlikely people would have taken the time and effort to report you to anyone, esp if we're talking 'stupid mistake' rather than 'wanton criminal driving'

Case in point, I could report the anon troll to admin and ask for them to be removed for abusing the anon function...but they would take a look and likely decide that although their post is obv intended to be unhelpful and alarm you... that no ones was really getting offended and i was likely overreacting, I'd likely get a nice ''we'll look into it' msg and they'd roll their eyes, and in this case I feel 'eye rolling' would indeed be the appropriate response. (Suck eggs NPC Greyscale :rolleyes:)
Reply 14
Pay more attention!!
Reply 15
Clearly you aren't paying attention clearly. That is why you're having so many near misses and not realising other vehicles until it's too late.

- If you're tired or doing a long journey take a break. Ideally don't drive when tired at all but you know...

- Planning your journey effectively = checking the sat nav before setting off

- Speed limit shouldn't be too confusing. NSL on motorways and dual carriageways is 70 and in built up areas 30 unless stated otherwise. This bit is elementary. Needless to say if other drivers are being idiots and peeping you for sticking to the limit/ speeding then let them. Don't join in!

- I don't get how you can literally just check and a car appears out of nowhere sorry. Back to my first point, you need to pay attention very carefully especially on a motorway. If you need to take breaks due to lapses in concentration you defo should. We all do!

- I doubt the bus driver is going to do anything. More hassle than it's worth. CCTV is mainly to prevent/detect crime and in case of an actual collision. Even then they moan that it costs them more than it's worth to retrieve the footage. Transport companies are NOTORIOUSLY stingy.

- You don't seem very confident at driving. Have you considered additional lessons to get over your fears?
Reply 16
Original post by FRS500
Clearly you aren't paying attention clearly. That is why you're having so many near misses and not realising other vehicles until it's too late.

- If you're tired or doing a long journey take a break. Ideally don't drive when tired at all but you know...

- Planning your journey effectively = checking the sat nav before setting off

- Speed limit shouldn't be too confusing. NSL on motorways and dual carriageways is 70 and in built up areas 30 unless stated otherwise. This bit is elementary. Needless to say if other drivers are being idiots and peeping you for sticking to the limit/ speeding then let them. Don't join in!

- I don't get how you can literally just check and a car appears out of nowhere sorry. Back to my first point, you need to pay attention very carefully especially on a motorway. If you need to take breaks due to lapses in concentration you defo should. We all do!

- I doubt the bus driver is going to do anything. More hassle than it's worth. CCTV is mainly to prevent/detect crime and in case of an actual collision. Even then they moan that it costs them more than it's worth to retrieve the footage. Transport companies are NOTORIOUSLY stingy.

- You don't seem very confident at driving. Have you considered additional lessons to get over your fears?

I had been checking and I m usually fairly confident on the motorway, I had seen that car but it was far back and I checked again and it was still a good few car lengths back. I looked forward for the road signs and did my checks but there was a van in my blind spot and that's where I ****ed up, as the car came up behind the van. I should have waited again instead of just going and like I said the car was far back I had misjudged its speed. about the speed limits there was a few road works and multiple speed limits that changed quickly and I stuck to them so I should be fine I just had a panic that I had misread them. I know I shouldn't have let the others bully me forward but he was right up my arse and I wanted to get some space between us if I had to stop.
im usually fairly confident I just had a bad morning of driving that put me on edge. I wasn't terrible tired it had been a long day and I just wanted to get home, I had planned on stopping at the lidl that was just 5 mins away from where I nearly collided with the bus (bad ****ing luck for me). I do pay attention to the roads, my problem is I can be to slow to react when I am focused on listening to the satnav or reading the signs. I was very much aware of that bus and remember thinking I hope it doesn't just come out on me like in the dashcam videos. As I was coming up to it the bus merged into the road as I was about passing causing me to swerve- I hadn't slowed my speed down as if I was turning into the road. if it had started emerging much sooner I would have braked for it but it did it as I was passing. My fault for leaving my indicator on it was drowned out by my satnav, music and me focusing my attention to the road ahead. it usually clicks itself off and I had been on that same road days before where my indicator automatically clicked off so I didn't think to worry about it.

now I sound like im justifying my *****y driving, my anxiety and getting distracted by road signs/directions/ was my downfall
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I have some questions and just want some clarity on a driving situation. I am a careful driver but today was just ridiculous I kept making mistakes after another and I’m shaken up to the point I feel I’ll to think what will happen.
1st I had to put my satnav on to go through Glasgow I thought I had put on avoid motorways option but it turns out I forgot to switch it back so I ended up on the m8 in the centre of Glasgow. I was confused by the rapid differences in speeds and the fact others where just speeding. On a small 30 section between the road and bridge I got peeped at for going 30 so I stupidly sped up as other drivers around me where going to fast.

Still on the m8 and I have no idea what lane to be in and o got stuck in the middle lane. The satnav was telling me to merge into the left so I did all my checks (three times) before merging and as I did there was a car right there. I drove back but it was a near miss. I didn’t hear anything to indicate a hit or scrape so I don’t think they got hit. I was going at the speed limit of 50 but they must have been going way faster as I hadn’t even seen them get closer ( there was also a van behind so in hindsight I should have checked again).

The most stupid was that I was coming back from Glashow by the back roads. I had just turned left off the roundabout and going straight when a bus came onto the road and I nearly collided with it. I then realised my indicator was still ticking to turn left. I had just tuned out of the noise listening to the satnav instructions. No one got hurt but was a third (second being I was taken into the wrong lane of a roundabout and trying to merge into the left when a car on the right peeped me cause he was trying to get into the left lane. Both at fault but I had checked mirrors and blond spots and it looked ok to merge) near miss incident.

I’m really shaken up because of how stupid the bus one was and how dangerous. No one got hurt and the bus continued. I know bus drivers have cameras to record bus users can he use this to report me for dangerous driving? And if I do what are the consequences?
Can the driver on the m8 also report me for a near miss? And should I report myself as the one on the motorway he was speeding and I feel so guilty at causing danger to anyone driving because of my stupidity.
I am always so anxious about my speed and safety and drive carefully but today it just was a mess. I had been driving for too long and getting tired and it’s my fault.

I am on my parents insurance and if anything happens I will not be trusted to drive again. I’ve only been driving less than a year.

Lol its fine (worst comes to worst you'll get the verdict within 14 days), you were just caught lacking that day.

Most of my near misses and close calls were mainly due to a lack of awareness/alertness on the roads (especially on days I was stressed). The others just involved dangerous drivers in general.

Main point is that you need to reflect on this experience; what did you do wrong? How can you rectify the problem so it doesn't happen again next time?
Reply 18
And give way to all black Mercs in the M8 area.

Preach
There is a small paint scratch in my car but I don’t believe that was from that incident. I had been camping at the weekend and scraped the car then. I don’t believe I caused any damage to the other cars I didn’t hear or see anything. It was very close though.
I am very worried about the indicator and the bus since it wasn’t completely dangerous and I don’t know how I managed not to notice it ticking. The bus driver got a good look at my car and is in every right to report me I just wondered I should expect if I do get reported.
Did anything come of this please? As in was you reported for any of the situations?

I’ve had a situation today that I’m now worried about. Basically, Made an accidental mistake today coming out of asupermarket car parkOn turning out my power steering went (which is acommon fault on my car) anyway, that meant mycar was then on the right hand side instead of left, Istopped at the give way line to turn car on and offas that’s what brings the power steering back thenthe road opposite me there was a man in a vanwaiting to go (obviously he couldn’t go straightahead as I was there so he waited behind his giveway line) and he was doing angry arm movementsto me, so I was moreFlustered, it was safe for me to turn right so I justmade my turn then instead of moving into the rightlane and stopping behind that give way etc. so noaccident was caused BUT I was in the wrong sideof the road. Do you reckon he will report me ? Ifso, how long until I hear back ? Many thanks inadvance.

Latest

Trending

Trending