The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Commuting to Herts Uni

Hi, i'm from Luton and i want to commute to Hertfordshire Uni-De Havilland campus via the Uno bus. Does anyone have any idea on how I would go by doing this? Thanks
Would you even be allowed due to corona?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Skelly1203

the buses are still running and the uni itself will conduct face to face teaching so I'm guessing yes
Reply 3
Original post by strtss
the buses are still running and the uni itself will conduct face to face teaching so I'm guessing yes

I thought some unis were making living bubbles? I know mine arent but some are
Original post by strtss
Hi, i'm from Luton and i want to commute to Hertfordshire Uni-De Havilland campus via the Uno bus. Does anyone have any idea on how I would go by doing this? Thanks

Hey, you would need to catch the 610 bus. You can search Uno bus 610 on the internet and then download the timetable!
Reply 6
Original post by LawflowLilies
Hey, you would need to catch the 610 bus. You can search Uno bus 610 on the internet and then download the timetable!

thank you! I'm confused about their tickets. Which ticket deal would be worth it? (Autumn term, weekly or annual). Where would I save the most money?
Original post by strtss
thank you! I'm confused about their tickets. Which ticket deal would be worth it? (Autumn term, weekly or annual). Where would I save the most money?

It kinda depends on your personal timetable. I did a return ticket for everyday that I went it. I didn’t do weekly as I wasn’t in everyday! Hope this helps
Original post by strtss

The 610 bus run by Uno will take you to and from both campuses.
Currently they and just about all routes are running to an amended Saturday service, what will happen when the school and UH term times start I'm not sure at the moment, because as we know due to the C19 pandemic things can change very quickly, including the way of working at the UH itself.

The Uno website www.unobus.info should give you some idea of times and ticket prices. What sort of ticket is the best obviously depends on your UH contact time and personal circumstances of course.

Hertfordshire County Council also have their own comprehensive travel site "Intalink" ( see my previous posts) including all timetable and corona virus updates.
Uno have fitted hand sanitisers on their buses by the way.

At the moment the government is propping up funding on many of the bus routes, as due to the massive shortfall in passenger numbers coupled with enforced social distancing reduction per bus passenger càpacity, they simply would not be economically sustainable. I understand this will continue, albeit with a reduced amount, from October onwards when current funding levels come to an end.
As soon as I hear of any further timetable developments I will keep you folks posted.
Excuse delay in reply.
(edited 3 years ago)

Most bus services are running around a Saturday service. You are perfectly allowed to use them as long as you follow government rulings of wearing a mask on board.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by UnclePete
Most bus services are running around a Saturday service. You are perfectly allowed to use them as long as you follow government rulings on wearing a mask on board.

No I'm more taling about social bubbles whether some unis are gonna require people to live on campus this year to stop the spread
No I'm more taling about social bubbles whether some unis are gonna require people to live on campus this year to stop the spread

:frown: That is something the UH will be able to advise on.
Regarding bus use, the litmus test is when all the schools and colleges etc. return in Sept. What sort of service format will be from then on is very much dependent on passenger use and with Uno as a UH-centric set up how the UH will operate itself.

It is very much use or lose : the bus companies have a catch 22 on their hands- they cannot allow the normal passenger count on each bus, thirteen or so as against the normal fifty plus odd, but on the other hand if they do not run enough services they will lose out that way.
At present the government is providing £218.4 million to help keep regional bus services going outside London until October, and a reduced amount of £27.3m each week for as long as is required after that.
Finally, note that all bus stops, except in principal places such as rail stations and the like in Hertfordshire are request only. It is quite clearly stated on the bus stop flags if you look " signal clearly for the bus to stop". Many students when coming out from the likes of London overlook this, as in Tfl land just about all stops are compulsory, not request.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
The 610 bus run by Uno will take you to and from both campuses.
Currently they and just about all routes are running to an amended Saturday service, what will happen when the school and UH term times start I'm not sure at the moment, because as we know due to the C19 pandemic things can change very quickly, including the way of working at the UH itself.

The Uno website www.unobus.info should give you some idea of times and ticket prices. What sort of ticket is the best obviously depends on your UH contact time and personal circumstances of course.

Hertfordshire County Council also have their own comprehensive travel site "Intalink" ( see my previous posts) including all timetable and corona virus updates.
Uno have fitted hand sanitisers on their buses by the way.

At the moment the government is propping up funding on many of the bus routes, as due to the massive shortfall in passenger numbers coupled with enforced social distancing reduction per bus passenger càpacity, they simply would not be economically sustainable. I understand this will continue, albeit with a reduced amount, from October onwards when current funding levels come to an end.
As soon as I hear of any further timetable developments I will keep you folks posted.
Excuse delay in reply.

ah thanks so much!
Original post by strtss
ah thanks so much!

:smile: You are welcome ! I have also added some more to my reply to Skelly1203 above.
Regarding paying as you go, like most bus companies cashless is preferred which is the method just about everybody does now anyway. I believe Uno along with Arriva will still accept cash, but not give any change.
I'm commuting to the uni too however I'm going to drive myself to the uni. My course is on dehav, what are you guys studying and what campus?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm commuting to the uni too however I'm going to drive myself to the uni. My course is on dehav, what are you guys studying and what campus?

:frown: Avoid parking in the service road that runs around the back and side of de Hav (by The Sports Village) There have been many issues with illicit parking causing problems, such that on occasions buses have had to pull out of stopping at their designated de Hav interchange stops using one side of the road only or not serving de Hav at all, often at short notice, causing much inconvenience to students using the bus service.
Both Welwyn-Hatfield Council and the police are on to this -last year they were issuing parking tickets and warning notices. At the non-barrier Albatross Way end the standard road sign quite clearly indicates no cars or motorbikes.
Double yellow lines are to be put in place I hear as Uno are understandably fed up - there have been some near misses with both careless driving and parking in particular right on the NE corner of the service road. For designated parking areas contact the UH.
Regarding the buses, most of these have reverted to pre covid timetables with some minor adjustments. Go to the websites given in my previous post for definitive info.
Comments welcome.
(edited 3 years ago)
:frown: Avoid parking in the service road that runs around the back and side of de Hav (by The Sports Village) There have been many issues with illicit parking causing problems, such that on occasions buses have had to pull out of stopping at their designated de Hav interchange stops using one side of the road only or not serving de Hav at all, often at short notice, causing much inconvenience to students using the bus service.
Both Welwyn-Hatfield Council and the police are on to this -last year they were issuing parking tickets and warning notices. At the non-barrier Albatross Way end the standard road sign quite clearly indicates no cars or motorbikes.
Double yellow lines are to be put in place I hear as Uno are understandably fed up - there have been some near misses with both careless driving and parking in particular right on the NE corner of the service road. For designated parking areas contact the UH.
Regarding the buses, most of these have reverted to pre covid timetables with some minor adjustments. Go to the websites given in my previous post for definitive info.
Comments welcome.

thx, wasn't going to park there but will deffo let some of the people i have met on fb who are also commuting know as i had no idea. ima be doing the park and ride
Original post by Anonymous
thx, wasn't going to park there but will deffo let some of the people i have met on fb who are also commuting know as i had no idea. ima be doing the park and ride.

:redface: The park and ride (Uno service no. 690) starts again on 21st Sept., the intercampus shuttle which is a short working of this on the14th.
For timetable details visit the Uno site www.unobus.info for general Herts travel www.intalink.org.uk and for rail travel to/from Hatfield including any forthcoming changes to the scheduled services www.hatfieldrail.com which is the local rail travellers' association site.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending