The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Most of my replies were completely unplanned, I think that the interviewers appreciated my spontaneity somewhat. Because I'm naturally quite modest, I just practised talking about myself with family members, and also answering some random potential questions that they'd ask me unexpectedly at various points over the weeks coming up to my interviews. I had three interviews and received two offers (I got rejected from Newcastle which was my first interview, so nerves got the better of me).
Edit: Also with regard to how I answered the questions, I tried to talk around the topic, but without straying into their next question. (I also found it useful to pause for a moment before beginning to answer, allowing me to collect my thoughts)
Reply 2
Tom4510
For all those who have had their interviews for med school in the past, how was it? ?

I had only one interview and it was ok . By "ok" i mean that yes before the interview I was exactly like :woo: and even after the interview. revision and keeping up to date with current news regarding the NHS or even the politicians that have an influence on the NHS, was for me the highest priority before the interview.

Im not talking what questions they asked, more about how you replied, and the reactions of the interviewers to your answers. ?

When I replied , I not only answered the question but also gave a response rich in information regarding the question/ answer ( if you get what I mean )

And how did you prepare?

I read on a daily basis the bbc health section but i screened (if you like ) the most interesting news that could one day be useful to society. But I definately recommend others to mention politicans (like david cameron ) that definately was a big bonus ( you just got to be different )
During my Bristol Interview the first Q was "why Medicine..."

Blabbed on and on about every single reason I could think of and then said "work experience was the final nail in the coffin." I meant to say like Icing on the Cake or something to that effect!

They just gave me a weird look and an awkward laugh.

My Nottingham interview went a lot better, thank God!!!

Anyway, know the current medical news, know about what happens after you qualify as a doctor ie Foundation Years and stuff. Make sure you know about the medical course at that particular uni, and know about the Uni itself. Some people read student BMJ or books related to medicine too!
"I wud luv to do da Medicine cos it is amazing and I luv helpiting peoples and I wants to save dem from teh nasties disezes in da world." :cool:
Reply 5
My mouth went all dry :puppyeyes:
Reply 6
I've done interviews this year, as in been on the panel as a medical student. There are certain questions they ask to everyone and i've found that often its more about how you talk about the things you've done, rather than the things you've actually done. For example, one girl had loads of medical/charity things that she liked to do. But when asked if she had any hobbies she said yes i play the clarinet, but i dont take any grades or exams for it because its "my hobby and its just for me", not for my music teacher or anyone else. Thats the only hobby outside of her charity and community work she had, but her answer was excellent and thats all that was required.
Reply 7
dont_trust_busdrivers
Anyway, know the current medical news, know about what happens after you qualify as a doctor ie Foundation Years and stuff. Make sure you know about the medical course at that particular uni, and know about the Uni itself. Some people read student BMJ or books related to medicine too!

This. Both Newcastle and Manchester wanted me to show an appreciation of the length of time it would take me to advance through my career (i.e not "I'm gonna finish medical school then I'm gonna be a consultant cardiac surgeon") They wanted me to show a knowledge of the structure of subsequent years, FY1&2, ST years etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending