The Student Room Group

Yet another AS choices thread - sorry again!

Hi TSR,

Thank you for clicking on here (I know how annoying these threads must be lol)

For my AS choices, I put down English lit, history, French and maths. However, for my GCSE results I got A* in everything but maths and history - in which I got As. Now, I would like to go on to study law, and my school are talking about me as a potential Oxbridge candidate (which I would love to be). Anyway, just to cut to the chase, I am wondering whether or not to take business studies (which I love) instead of maths (which I quite like). I know that universities would prefer maths, but I can't help feeling that I would miss business studies (my teacher says that if I don't do it then it'll be a waste and that I would waltz an A but my maths teacher was also trying to persuade me to do maths).

Final choices tomorrow - any help?

Toothbrushes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!
Reply 1
I think you could get away with choosing Business over Maths as your other choices will be liked by the universities as they are 'traditional'. So its personal choice really, I do both subjects and I really like them both.
Reply 2
22198doyle
I think you could get away with choosing Business over Maths as your other choices will be liked by the universities as they are 'traditional'. So its personal choice really, I do both subjects and I really like them both.

Thanks for replying - I'm really annoyed because my school isn't letting anyone do 5 subjects :mad:
Reply 3
toothbrushes
Thanks for replying - I'm really annoyed because my school isn't letting anyone do 5 subjects :mad:

That sucks- I didn't struggle too much with my 5 at AS, only you have less free periods than other people! :frown: I'm dropping one now though so all you are missing out on is 1 AS level.
i'd say to just do maths and work hard at it, i'm sure you'll do fine. that's my exact subject combination :yep: i don't think you can get much better than that for a law degree.
Reply 5
22198doyle
That sucks- I didn't struggle too much with my 5 at AS, only you have less free periods than other people! :frown: I'm dropping one now though so all you are missing out on is 1 AS level.

I'm so jealous of you lol - my school had seriously better let me take 4 subjects to A2
Reply 6
Maths is more 'respected' than Business Studies.
Reply 7
rainbow drops
i'd say to just do maths and work hard at it, i'm sure you'll do fine. that's my exact subject combination :yep: i don't think you can get much better than that for a law degree.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 8
Plato123
Maths is more 'respected' than Business Studies.

I know :frown: I just can't help thinking that it's a bit snobby to choose a subject for that reason
Reply 9
Ooh ooh ooh, would business or maths be better for business law - that would suit me down to the ground!
Reply 10
Flip a coin :biggrin:
Reply 11
If you enjoy bussiness studies than take that.
Better you do something you love than something you just like.
Reply 12
22198doyle
Flip a coin :biggrin:

I probably should - one sec...

It said maths:p:
Reply 13
If you'd like to be a oxbridge candidate, you wanna go in with a strong solid application. Maths will do that for you, Business Studies perhaps not so much.
Dunno how helpful this link will be to you, but there you go anyway :biggrin::
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 14
Eden01
If you'd like to be a oxbridge candidate, you wanna go in with a strong solid application. Maths will do that for you, Business Studies perhaps not so much.
Dunno how helpful this link will be to you, but there you go anyway :biggrin::
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Thanks!

Latest