The Student Room Group

Low UCAT score and dentistry

Sat my UCAT yesterday and scored 2460 av 615

What dental schools will look at me for this? I got 7A* 4A at GCSE three As alevel and A* in EPQ

Is Plymouth and Bristol a good idea? I have lots for personal statement have completed work experience, two years of volunteering at care home, skills for manual dexterity such as guitar and art and I am starting a dental nurse apprenticeship in late October.
(edited 3 years ago)
Post edited automatically
Reply 2
In this kind of situation my advice would be to wait until the UCAT consortium releases the preliminary results in mid-September. Have a look at which decile your score falls into and then take another look at the final published results after testing is over (after 1st October, but before 15th October). This will give you a rough idea of how well you've performed against your peers.

Universities place different weightings on the UCAT, for example Bristol (35% weighting) is lower than Barts (50%) which is lower than Kings (doesn't mention specific % but highlights the fact that grades and UCAT score are the most important factors during their assessments). However, Bristol also places very low weighting on GCSEs and A-Levels (15% for both) whilst Barts and Kings place higher % on these - so you'd have to write a very good personal statement for Bristol, whilst somewhere like Barts doesn't even consider the PS.
You meet the Plymouth threshold of 2290 and their A Level and GCSE requirements so that may be a good option.

Whilst your UCAT is not the best, it's not hopeless either, and you have relatively good grades too, so I refer back to my original point which would be to wait until deciles are published because you'll have a better idea of how well you've done and which other universities to go for.

For now, I think you should focus on writing a strong personal statement so that it can help strengthen your overall application.
Original post by louisefiax

What dental schools will look at me for this? I got 7A* 4A at GCSE three As alevel and A* in EPQ

Is Plymouth and Bristol a good idea? I have lots for personal statement have completed work experience, two years of volunteering at care home, skills for manual dexterity such as guitar and art and I am starting a dental nurse apprenticeship in late October.

Did u end up getting an offer if so from what unis
Original post by louisefiax

hi I just wanted to know if u got any offers as I’m in a similar position
Original post by tochukwu123
hi I just wanted to know if u got any offers as I’m in a similar position

If you don't mind me asking, did you get any offers?

Quick Reply

Latest