The Student Room Group

Dentistry rejections

Hi, I'm a 2024 dental applicant but I'm so feeling so depressed rn cuz I've gotten triple rejected. I applied to Cardiff, Liverpool, QMUL and Plymouth and got rejected from 3/4. My stats were UCAT 2720 band 2, Predicted 3 A*'s and GCSEs all 9s. I've got 1 interview from Plymouth, but knowing my luck I have no hope, and I'm pretty sure they've sent out lots of interview invites so post-interview success rate will probably be low. I genuinely thought I had a strong chance applying this year, and I chose most of these unis specifically thinking I had a chance of getting an interview by their criteria. It looks like i'm gonna have to take a gap year and i'm dreading it sm cuz I have to sit the UCAT again and that exam killed me. It also sucks seeing all my friends get multiple offers for med and I'm here with nothing. Idk but it feels like I've worked so hard for nothing, like I knew dentistry was competitive but not THIS competitive. With the Unis I applied to as well, especially Cardiff and Liverpool I don't even know what went wrong with my application :frown:. Sorry this was a long rant, but idk I'm just feeling kinda dumb bc my academics weren't worthy or my application overall just wasn't good enough.
Just smash the interview
Original post by Bluemuffins989
Hi, I'm a 2024 dental applicant but I'm so feeling so depressed rn cuz I've gotten triple rejected. I applied to Cardiff, Liverpool, QMUL and Plymouth and got rejected from 3/4. My stats were UCAT 2720 band 2, Predicted 3 A*'s and GCSEs all 9s. I've got 1 interview from Plymouth, but knowing my luck I have no hope, and I'm pretty sure they've sent out lots of interview invites so post-interview success rate will probably be low. I genuinely thought I had a strong chance applying this year, and I chose most of these unis specifically thinking I had a chance of getting an interview by their criteria. It looks like i'm gonna have to take a gap year and i'm dreading it sm cuz I have to sit the UCAT again and that exam killed me. It also sucks seeing all my friends get multiple offers for med and I'm here with nothing. Idk but it feels like I've worked so hard for nothing, like I knew dentistry was competitive but not THIS competitive. With the Unis I applied to as well, especially Cardiff and Liverpool I don't even know what went wrong with my application :frown:. Sorry this was a long rant, but idk I'm just feeling kinda dumb bc my academics weren't worthy or my application overall just wasn't good enough.

Hi sorry to hear about this.
What did liverpool say to your rejection letter? Is so strange they rejected you as liverpool is a low ucat uni.
All the best for your plymouth interview. :smile:

Getting all 9s at GCSE isn't an easy feat, and your UCAT score is above the average. Your application is excellent. If you got this a few years ago, you would have been able to choose any dental school. Dentistry is a very competitive course where not everyone gets into dental school first time. A low proportion are successful. Everyone, like you, is ambitious and highly skilled. I don't blame you for being disappointed.

There are more medical schools than dental schools, so more choice when selecting strategically. Even though your application didn't go as planned and it seems your friends did, it's still good you did it strategically. Like @AntonSlayer was saying, you still have a chance to get into dentistry through Plymouth. The interview is the last hurdle. By this point, they practically believe you're a good candidate, but they just need to narrow it down for the sake of number of places available. High number of interview invites does mean a lower chance but if you give them the answers they want to hear, everything will go smoothly. They'll only reject you if you give them a reason to.

I'd offer my input on how your application may have been unsuccessful (I will if you want it and I'm sure others on this thread would like to help), but please focus on getting your grades and passing the interview. There's still time and there's little meaning to reflect on your dentistry application, if you still have a chance of gaining a place. That being said, none of this is your fault. Good luck with everything ahead.
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi sorry to hear about this.
What did liverpool say to your rejection letter? Is so strange they rejected you as liverpool is a low ucat uni.
All the best for your plymouth interview. :smile:

Hi, they said that my combined Non Academic Questionnaire and UCAT score was not as high as those applicants who were called for interview.
Original post by EquivocateU2
Getting all 9s at GCSE isn't an easy feat, and your UCAT score is above the average. Your application is excellent. If you got this a few years ago, you would have been able to choose any dental school. Dentistry is a very competitive course where not everyone gets into dental school first time. A low proportion are successful. Everyone, like you, is ambitious and highly skilled. I don't blame you for being disappointed.

There are more medical schools than dental schools, so more choice when selecting strategically. Even though your application didn't go as planned and it seems your friends did, it's still good you did it strategically. Like @AntonSlayer was saying, you still have a chance to get into dentistry through Plymouth. The interview is the last hurdle. By this point, they practically believe you're a good candidate, but they just need to narrow it down for the sake of number of places available. High number of interview invites does mean a lower chance but if you give them the answers they want to hear, everything will go smoothly. They'll only reject you if you give them a reason to.

I'd offer my input on how your application may have been unsuccessful (I will if you want it and I'm sure others on this thread would like to help), but please focus on getting your grades and passing the interview. There's still time and there's little meaning to reflect on your dentistry application, if you still have a chance of gaining a place. That being said, none of this is your fault. Good luck with everything ahead.

Thank you so much, I definitely needed to hear this. I've kinda been in a slump recently cuz I'm so demotivated but you're so right, at least I have one interview and none of this will even matter if I don't achieve the A level grades at the end. Thank you!
Reply 6
Weirdly Daughter got rejected from Cardiff and Liverpool with 2760 B2 and strong GCSEs. Applied strategically too and she got interview at Leeds which requires higher UCAT. The whole thing this year is weird. People with 2500 UCAT getting interviews at Liverpool and higher ones being rejected
Reply 7

Hi, I wouldnt be too disheartened because I went through a similar situation in my first cycle getting 3 pre-int rejections and 1 post. The most important thing for you now should be is the plymouth interview and securing the grades. You'll be shocked at how common it is for people to get an offer and miss their grades. So secure the grades and in the next cycle you're fully in control. The UCAT score mustve been an issue I would say 2800+ would've definitely raised your chances.
Also gap years are extremely common in dentistry.

im more active on ig if you need more help message me on @ayaan.dent

Quick Reply

Latest