The Student Room Group

Pregnant and employer doesn't care?

Just wanted some advice about this issue at my workplace. I work at a care home as a Night Care Assistant. We have three floors, Strawberries, Apples and Cherries. Strawberries is the dementia floor and has a few aggressive elderly residents on the floor and they start a fight.

Currently I am more than 6 months pregnant and I have told them I don't want to be put on that floor as its unsafe for me. The manager told me that it's not a good enough reason for me to not be put on that floor and I should deal with the elderly person while they are being aggressive

There was an elderly person who chased me twice because I had the work device in my hand while I was doing my work. She also came up to me and started grabbing the phone aggressively and I let go to let her have it as I didn't want to get hurt.

I am told by an employee that some of them do punch people or are physically abusive in some form and I am scared if I get punched in the stomach I'll have a miscarriage...

I told them this yesterday at the meeting and they didn't seem to care and say I got to deal with the dementia person to resolve the issue of why they are angry with me. Is this the right approach? I don't know what else to do because they keep putting me on that floor and I am scared for my baby and me in case I end up in hospital...

I don't know what to do other than try and find a new job for my own safety.. any advice would be appreciated..
Original post by Nimsy
Just wanted some advice about this issue at my workplace. I work at a care home as a Night Care Assistant. We have three floors, Strawberries, Apples and Cherries. Strawberries is the dementia floor and has a few aggressive elderly residents on the floor and they start a fight.

Currently I am more than 6 months pregnant and I have told them I don't want to be put on that floor as its unsafe for me. The manager told me that it's not a good enough reason for me to not be put on that floor and I should deal with the elderly person while they are being aggressive

There was an elderly person who chased me twice because I had the work device in my hand while I was doing my work. She also came up to me and started grabbing the phone aggressively and I let go to let her have it as I didn't want to get hurt.

I am told by an employee that some of them do punch people or are physically abusive in some form and I am scared if I get punched in the stomach I'll have a miscarriage...

I told them this yesterday at the meeting and they didn't seem to care and say I got to deal with the dementia person to resolve the issue of why they are angry with me. Is this the right approach? I don't know what else to do because they keep putting me on that floor and I am scared for my baby and me in case I end up in hospital...

I don't know what to do other than try and find a new job for my own safety.. any advice would be appreciated..

what's your maternity leave/pay situation? you can't be far off when you'd be able to take it so I'd be seriously considering that as they seemingly haven't done a risk assessment and although you are entitled to one it's clear that the manager doesn't care at all. Also, give this charity a call https://pregnantthenscrewed.com/helpline/ and acas for some legal advice.
By law they must make reasonable adjustments for you to work safely. That said you are in a difficult sitation. Perhaps you could ask what the procedure is if you were to be punched in the stomach and you lost your baby. I think sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself. You can take maternity and then leave. Thankfully for you, getting a different care job shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck.
Original post by Nimsy

Consult your union - they should have done a risk assessment for you.
Original post by Nimsy

What on earth!?? put your foot down! Stand your ground. If worst comes to worst, can you ask some other colleagues on different floors if they will swap with you? I dont see how on earth you can "talk to the patient to see why they are angry at you" as they will forget you even had that conversation wouldn't they? Maybe even threaten them with legal action? Idk... this is terrible. Good luck girl, stand your ground with this. Other people are saying you should take your maternity leave now, but thats unfair, you should take it whenever you wanted/planned. Like, guys, maybe she wanted to take maternity leave later so she could have some time with her new baby? So unnecessary, all they have to do is move you to a different floor, its not hard. Good luck xx
Reply 5
who was at this meeting you attended? who else in your organisation (someone above them) can you raise the issue with? if it was low level management surely you can and should go to someone above them or talk to whoever is in charge of health and safety.

also read this link here and specially under the heading Making a Complaint

https://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/faqs.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending