The Student Room Group

HEALTHCARE workers - how do you wash your clothes during this pandemic?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what precautions healthcare workers take after they come back from hospital?
I will be starting my 5th year rotations at med school soon so just seeking some advice/points...

I was thinking about soaking my clothes (work & travel set) in a bucket with hot water, surf and dettol and then after a few hours transferring them into the washing machine to wash at normal temp (30 degrees)?
No extra precautions. Sometimes wear scrubs, which are washed by the hospital, but when I'm in my own clothes, I just wash them normally.
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMedic97
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what precautions healthcare workers take after they come back from hospital?
I will be starting my 5th year rotations at med school soon so just seeking some advice/points...

I was thinking about soaking my clothes (work & travel set) in a bucket with hot water, surf and dettol and then after a few hours transferring them into the washing machine to wash at normal temp (30 degrees)?

You are in your 5th year of medschool and you have no idea what viruses are made of and what breaks them apart? You are going to soak your stuff in bleach, really? Omg :biggrin: I really have to start to pay private insurance, if I ever need you , you are going to kill me :biggrin:
Even for people working in theatres?

Where I was working previously, we were given a few sets to wash ourselves but anyone doing bank shifts didn't have to wash their own. Where I am now, there is a pile of scrubs that anyone can use that the hospital washes.
Original post by Mojmeer
You are in your 5th year of medschool and you have no idea what viruses are made of and what breaks them apart? You are going to soak your stuff in bleach, really? Omg :biggrin: I really have to start to pay private insurance, if I ever need you , you are going to kill me :biggrin:

where did they say anything about bleach?!
Guess we are lucky then.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
where did they say anything about bleach?!

dettol ?
Original post by Mojmeer
dettol ?

Dettol have a lot of products, including laundry cleaner
Original post by Mojmeer
dettol ?

dettol is disinfectant not bleach
For biosecurity I was taught to always wash at 60C, I assume it is broadly the same in healthcare.
Original post by Mojmeer

Nah I know soap will disintegrate them so that's why the water will have surf and as ecolier posted, dettol was shown to kill other coronavirus and is likely to kill SARS-COV2, its not bleach :biggrin: and besides, my clothes will probably get ruined with bleach

It was recommended to wash clothes at 60 degrees but I though my clothes will get ruined (especially with this frequent washing), so I was looking for a way out and thought about soaking instead :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Dettol have a lot of products, including laundry cleaner

Yep! dettol as in the laundry cleaner
Reply 12
Wear separate clothes to come in to work in and then change to my uniform for the shift, before changing to come home again. Uniform goes in the wash at a high enough temperature to give it a good clean but not too high for the fabric. It’s then air dried. All other clothes are washed as usual. Shoes are the same and my work trainers are washed every now and again (sporadically because I’m lazy and drying shoes takes ages).
Original post by Mojmeer

Can't believe Mojmeer actually posted this, I actually thought they were a nice person but they have proved me wrong....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending