The Student Room Group
They're grossly misinformed. You can apply through UCAS with a wide range of qualifications from A-Levels to BTECs, the IB and NVQs.
Reply 2
What kind of moronic college do you go to?
There are zillions of different qualifications you can enter!

Maybe check with the universities you're applying to and see if they take them first because if they don't it would be a wasted application spot!
Reply 4
Lol that is soooo wrong...

I have a diploma in graphic design.. and I have used ucas

Tell them they are wrong...
Reply 5
You can apply as well if you took foreign examinations like the Abitur or the French Baccalauréat, you'll just have to change your application according to the way your educational system works.
Reply 6
Tinkerbell5
I had my connexions advisor, a business teacher and director of sixth form tell me that the only way I can use UCAS is if I have a levels, if I don't have them I can't apply to uni, is this true?

What qualifications do you (or will you) have?

and what do u want to do at uni?
Reply 7
Paulwhy
What qualifications do you (or will you) have?

and what do u want to do at uni?

I have a BTEC First Diploma in Business... overal Merit

I have 4 GCSE passes... English Lang/Lit, Textiles and Science... I am re-taking Maths GCSE atm... I want to do a extended degree at Kingston in Forensic Science and Investigate Analysis with a Science Foundation Year... The Foundation year requires "no formal entry" apart from A-C in Maths, Eng and Science.
Reply 8
Haha these people need the sack!
Tinkerbell5
I had my connexions advisor, a business teacher and director of sixth form tell me that the only way I can use UCAS is if I have a levels, if I don't have them I can't apply to uni, is this true?

well i can honestly tell you Tinkerbell5 you have defiantely been misinformed you can apply through UCAS if u are about to complete a BTEC Course,Access or another qualification that is equivalent to the above.I hope this helps:biggrin: :yep:
Reply 10
But I only have a BTEC first diploma in Business... That was a one year course, am I still allowed to apply?? These people have gotten me very confused!!
Tinkerbell5
I have a BTEC First Diploma in Business... overal Merit

I have 4 GCSE passes... English Lang/Lit, Textiles and Science... I am re-taking Maths GCSE atm... I want to do a extended degree at Kingston in Forensic Science and Investigate Analysis with a Science Foundation Year... The Foundation year requires "no formal entry" apart from A-C in Maths, Eng and Science.

mmm so u dont have anything higher than a Btec First Tinkerbell5 but you also have in additional 4 GCSES,right i understand now
I see that u mention a Year O course ie Science Foundation year which is similar to what i did on my Access Course gets you up to A Level standard in a year so u would be able to do the degree the year after u successfully completated the Foundation year is this correct??
I would also suggest Tinkerbell5 that you contact the concern University where the Foundation/Extended degree is done and ask them whether u fulfil their entry requirements and whether u have to apply direct to the University concerned Or do u need to go through the UCAS route or Have u already done this already??:biggrin:
Reply 13
ZakBrannigan
I would also suggest Tinkerbell5 that you contact the concern University where the Foundation/Extended degree is done and ask them whether u fulfil their entry requirements and whether u have to apply direct to the University concerned Or do u need to go through the UCAS route or Have u already done this already??:biggrin:

Well... I called the Kingston up like 20 times in one day, asking about the entry requirements and was told that I need an alevel and B in Science, but when I called up on another day I was told different and again on another day. It got to the point when I emailed the co-ordinator of Science and showed him actualy proof that the university does require formal entry apart from A-C in Maths, English and Science... Here is my email:

My reason for emailing you today, is to tell you how unhappy I am with staff at the Science Facultly, Kingston University. Stating on a number of websites and prospectuses that for the science foundation year there are ' no formal entry requirements', this has also been clearly stated on the Kingston Univeristy Science Website ( see below)

If you would like to study a science subject but are not yet ready to join the first year of a BSc(Hons) course, you can include an extra Foundation Year within your chosen degree. This gives you an alternative entry route if you lack traditional qualifications such as A-levels, if you are a mature applicant or if you have arts-based A-levels.

Typically a minimum of 40 points from one 6-unit award. Key skills may not be included within this points score.

Non-traditional entry: there are no formal entry requirements but offers are dependent on an interview.

Applications from mature students and international students are welcome.

(http://www.kingston.ac.uk/science/ug_found.htm)

This has also been clearly stated on the Kingston College website where the Science Foundation Year is taught:

There are no formal requirements. Mature students are especially encouraged to apply. Tutors look for a genuine interest and a commitment to study. A knowledge of Mathematics and English to GCSE level is desirable. Students who have previously studied A Level but who failed to reach their potential are also considered. If you wish to be considered for the course please contact the College and arrange an interview with the Course Director. Formal application for the course should be made through the normal UCAS system.

(http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/study/1089372792.html)

and Also in the Kingston University Undergraduates Prospectus - Biological, Chemical, Pharmaceutical and Sports Science Entry 2008:

Extract Taken from Page 10:

Course Features:

Typically students needs a minimum of 40 points for entry.
There are no formal entry requirements for non A-Level students.
Mature applications are welcome
This course provides entry to all honours degrees within the Faculty of Science.
The first year is taught at Kingston College.

Thankfully he replied asking me my age, qualifications etc and I'm awaiting another reply... Hopefully it's good news!!!
Tinkerbell5
Well... I called the Kingston up like 20 times in one day, asking about the entry requirements and was told that I need an alevel and B in Science, but when I called up on another day I was told different and again on another day. It got to the point when I emailed the co-ordinator of Science and showed him actualy proof that the university does require formal entry apart from A-C in Maths, English and Science... Here is my email:

My reason for emailing you today, is to tell you how unhappy I am with staff at the Science Facultly, Kingston University. Stating on a number of websites and prospectuses that for the science foundation year there are ' no formal entry requirements', this has also been clearly stated on the Kingston Univeristy Science Website ( see below)

If you would like to study a science subject but are not yet ready to join the first year of a BSc(Hons) course, you can include an extra Foundation Year within your chosen degree. This gives you an alternative entry route if you lack traditional qualifications such as A-levels, if you are a mature applicant or if you have arts-based A-levels.

Typically a minimum of 40 points from one 6-unit award. Key skills may not be included within this points score.

Non-traditional entry: there are no formal entry requirements but offers are dependent on an interview.

Applications from mature students and international students are welcome.

(http://www.kingston.ac.uk/science/ug_found.htm)

This has also been clearly stated on the Kingston College website where the Science Foundation Year is taught:

There are no formal requirements. Mature students are especially encouraged to apply. Tutors look for a genuine interest and a commitment to study. A knowledge of Mathematics and English to GCSE level is desirable. Students who have previously studied A Level but who failed to reach their potential are also considered. If you wish to be considered for the course please contact the College and arrange an interview with the Course Director. Formal application for the course should be made through the normal UCAS system.

(http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/study/1089372792.html)

and Also in the Kingston University Undergraduates Prospectus - Biological, Chemical, Pharmaceutical and Sports Science Entry 2008:

Extract Taken from Page 10:

Course Features:

Typically students needs a minimum of 40 points for entry.
There are no formal entry requirements for non A-Level students.
Mature applications are welcome
This course provides entry to all honours degrees within the Faculty of Science.
The first year is taught at Kingston College.

Thankfully he replied asking me my age, qualifications etc and I'm awaiting another reply... Hopefully it's good news!!!

Let me know how it goes TinkerBell5,I would be very interested to hear the outcome.Thats if u dont mind telling me that is:biggrin:
Reply 15
of course not!! I'll PM you!
Tinkerbell5

thanks TinkerBell5 good luck:goodluck:
Reply 17
Tinkerbell5

What about the rest of us?
We also want to hear how your story ends!!
Reply 18
Haha... ok I'll post back on this board :smile:
Reply 19
Tinkerbell5
Haha... ok I'll post back on this board :smile:

Great!!

Latest

Trending

Trending