The Student Room Group

People that have armpit hair?

Scroll to see replies

It should be completely their choice but u should be able to have a preference, I don’t think u should find it disgusting tho because it’s natural and it should be normalised for men and women. But I do agree it’s better when people shave their armpits, it doesn’t smell if u do that and to me you’re more hygienic.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 21
i honestly dont understand why people are against shaving their armpits, especially during summer. im not doing it for other peoples sake, it just feels so much cleaner and i don't sweat through tshirts etc
Normal to have armpit hair as a guy, I don't shave mine, seeing myself freshly shaved there would be a turn off, looking like a child. I want my armpit hair to be thicker in fact. On the other hand, seeing it in a lady is a huge huge turn off.
Original post by Appirition
It's also worth remembering that hair growth patterns don't settle down to steady levels until at least 4 years after puberty starts, so you can't effectively judge hair regrowth rates and thickness against hair removal methods during that time. Going by your ID, as a nursing student, you're probably past that stage now,

I am now (19) but to be fair it has been years since I touched my leg hair haha, so maybe at the time it wasnt an accurate representation lol
Original post by elyiot
i honestly dont understand why people are against shaving their armpits, especially during summer. im not doing it for other peoples sake, it just feels so much cleaner and i don't sweat through tshirts etc

sure, thats fine and makes sense lol. I just dont get why OP is so ticked off by other peoples armpit hair? lol
No shave no shame
You can have a preference regarding body hair, but you cannot tell someone to shave.

I personally do, I just feel better that way. However, I will never judge anyone for not shaving. It’s simply a beauty standard set in place by society.

It’s the same as shaving your legs. The majority of men don’t shave their legs and society sees that as acceptable, but if a woman doesn’t shave her legs then society kicks off.

It’s a beauty and society standard.

If you don’t want to shave then don’t! And if you do that’s fine as well.

If you judge someone just because of their body hair then I think you should spend some time reflecting on your judgement.
As a fox it looks rather strange when you shave any part of the body so we generally refrain from it.
Original post by nursingstudentuk
I am now (19) but to be fair it has been years since I touched my leg hair haha, so maybe at the time it wasnt an accurate representation lol

Which also means now is perhaps an appropriate time to start looking into long-term solutions for removal of unwanted hair that have been proven to be effective.
Original post by Appirition
Which also means now is perhaps an appropriate time to start looking into long-term solutions for removal of unwanted hair that have been proven to be effective.

I'd like to revisit this and say that actually I believe it was an accurate representation, because the areas that I shaved more are darker, and the areas that i shaved less are much much fairer (with areas I shaved not at all being non-existent)
Original post by nursingstudentuk
I'd like to revisit this and say that actually I believe it was an accurate representation, because the areas that I shaved more are darker, and the areas that i shaved less are much much fairer (with areas I shaved not at all being non-existent)

That reflects what I said in post #17 above, although I should've said 'stronger' instead of 'thicker', because each hair grows back slightly stronger and darker each time it's shaved off, which gives the impression of them being thicker even though they actually aren't any thicker.

Your experience so far is precisely why many people, mainly girls, go for hair removal methods such as epilation and waxing - because those methods remove the root of the hair rather than cutting each hair off just as it breaks through the skin surface. Each time the hair root is removed, the root gets weaker, and is therefore less and less able to produce hair, and each hair that it does produce is likewise weaker and also lighter in colour because the root contains what's required to create the colour.
Not my place to judge really
Reply 32
I really dont care in the slightest.
I don't shave my armpits because I was born male. It's not like the hair keeps growing and growing if you don't shave it, like head hair. It just stays there in a patch like.
I think they are like everyone else.Normal.
Reply 35
Original post by Horrorhiker
Shaving does not make hair grow thicker and darker. This is a myth perpetuated by each generation going back decades.

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-shaving-make-hair-thicker

It does though.. i used to shave and alll the hairs grew back thick and dark, once i left them over a couple of years they thinñed out and went lighter.
Original post by aĺy
It does though.. i used to shave and alll the hairs grew back thick and dark, once i left them over a couple of years they thinñed out and went lighter.

It doesn't though...

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-shaving-make-hair-thicker

Quick Reply

Latest