The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
Hi!

I wanna know whether the vacuum and iron are provided or do we have to bring our own. What about curtains?
Do we have to bring our own pans?

Thx for the help!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Vacuum is provided - if you are in Fiddes, you'll need to exchange your library card for a specific cable from reception, but yes - you won't need to take your own. I wouldn't advise taking anything like a vacuum anyway, because you can trip the tripswitch of your electricity supply, leaving you literally powerless.

You can take your own iron and ironing board should you so desire, again, beware of the wattage being too high. Although, there are irons and ironing boards provided in the laundry rooms near Fiddes.

Curtains are provided. They are minging but you cannot change them - otherwise you are breaching health and safety protocol and can be expelled from hall. The curtains are fireproofed and do their job, so leave them
Reply 3
Yes - you'll also need your own kitchen utensils. I wouldn't advise bringing much except:
Small frying pan
Small saucepan
Wooden spoon
Knife Fork Spoon, Teaspoon
Mug
[kettle if you dare]
Couple of plates
Couple of glasses/tumblers
Tin opener

Buy anything else as you go along.
Reply 4
I bought a 1200w hairdryer is that going to be ok? It is very difficult to find anything below 1000w or r they provided as well?

I cant believe they are only 2 bathrooms and 2 toilet on a floor! I am staying in Graham btw.

which block r u staying tis year?
Reply 5
^^ Nah, does it buggery. Take your own and don't worry about it. Just don't do what I did - turn on kettle and hairdryer at same time - *pffffft* no electricity for two days.

Graham is abit strange, rooms are ok, just slightly small - although the size varies alot. There isn't really ever a problem with bathrooms, I've never seen anyone have to wait.

I'm semi-living in DEH this year - in Sunnyside (It's not open to residents), been there two years already, in Main Hall then Fiddes.
Reply 6
Spacecam
^^ Nah, does it buggery. Take your own and don't worry about it. Just don't do what I did - turn on kettle and hairdryer at same time - *pffffft* no electricity for two days.

That must have been a nightmare!

Thanks for the info! :smile:
Reply 7
spacecam, u mean we may get a big room or a small room in graham? hope i'm lucky then.. :smile::smile:
Reply 8
ohya..
graham block, ground floor, room 10

[email protected]
Reply 9
DO you know what the bathrooms are like in Main Block? I mean will I be queuing for a shower in the morning?

Also you say the rooms are huge, do you have any images, or could you suggest a flicr page that might?

Thanky
Reply 10
Ji@y!
spacecam, u mean we may get a big room or a small room in graham? hope i'm lucky then.. :smile::smile:

Well I've never lived in Graham, nor have I spent as much time in them as in other blocks. The room size varies somewhat. The rooms are the same size as Ewings. However, because of the shape of both Graham and Ewings (slightly irregular), there are some rooms that are HUGE and some that are teeny tiny :p: I don't know if your's is large or not.
Reply 11
zeropoint
DO you know what the bathrooms are like in Main Block? I mean will I be queuing for a shower in the morning?

Also you say the rooms are huge, do you have any images, or could you suggest a flicr page that might?

Thanky

I never had to queue for a shower. There isn't an overall amount of privacy in them - but it is a male block. They are individual cubicles with a shower curtain at the front. It's usually kept clean, depending on how pro-active the cleaners are. Onceuponatime, there was cleaning provided for all areas of the hall - including rooms, but that stopped after my first year there.

Pictures of a Main Hall Room attached (Room 55, if anyone cares)
Reply 12
ok.. thx anyway~^^
Reply 13
Does someone have room pictures of Sutherland?
Reply 14
Why is this a sticky??
:confused:
Reply 15
TI-84
Why is this a sticky??
:confused:

No idea, can we have Oak House as a sticky as well if this is going to be up :p: I sense favouritism!
Reply 16
Is this Jamie/Lukas?

Latest

Trending

Trending