The Student Room Group

How do i keep on top of it all!?

So, i started sixthform last Thursday, I'm doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry, General Studies & English Literature. A lot of TSR people have said during alevels "try to stay on top of your work!", But how! I mean, i've only had a week of sixthform and i'm already behind. I've been given so much homework & some pieces are due in the next day and i'm like :eek: i went to a crappy school before, and they didn't even know the definition of homework. And i come back from school and i'm so tired. Any suggestions on how to stay on top of my work and a timetable?:no:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prioritise. I did it simply by doing the work that was due in on monday first, and friday last etc. Also perhaps try doing shorter bits of homework first.
Clichéd, but do the work the day it is set. I have been doing it so far this year (year 13) and it has helped me so much. Get all of your HOMEWORK out of the way, and then do extra reading/note making.
I had a similar issue, but prioritising hekps. If you are tired perhaps eat something or drink an energy drink. Or take a nap for 1-2 hours, and then begin work.
Good luck!
xx
Reply 2
tea + a public library
When you are set work try and do at least some of it the same night/day.

Don't waste any frees you have, use them wisely and you will be able to stay on top of everything.

If you don't have a weekend job leave a couple of hours free to do any work that you were set in the week.

At some point you will get behind, it's inevitable, I did it about 4 times and it really stressed me out. Don't get stressed, it will only make the situation worse than it is.

Good luck :biggrin:!
Reply 4
Frees are your friends :smile:. Work hard in frees and you should do fine with it. I did a whole A2 in a year plus four other ASs (although only three with lessons :p:) and through the joy of frees was fine.

If your school doesn't have frees, or sets more homework than mine (quite likely I guess :smile: ) then I'm not sure, however setting any real homework for the next day is simply not on. Tell one of the heads of sixth form if you are really struggling, as remember that if you are finding it hard, its almost guaranteed there are loads of others finding it hard too and speaking up can help everyone :smile:
Reply 5
Organize all your notes if you haven't already - if you think keeping up is hard now, wait until you have several wads of paper to wade through to get what you need.
LittleMissTwinkle
So, i started sixthform last Thursday, I'm doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry, General Studies & English Literature. A lot of TSR people have said during alevels "try to stay on top of your work!", But how! I mean, i've only had a week of sixthform and i'm already behind. I've been given so much homework & some pieces are due in the next day and i'm like :eek: i went to a crappy school before, and they didn't even know the definition of homework. And i come back from school and i'm so tired. Any suggestions on how to stay on top of my work and a timetable?:no:

I'm in the same boat as you, I was just about ok in year 12 but year 13 is a nightmare, I have had 10 pieces of homework this week! Including c/w to be done by tomorrow, set on Monday. The whole c/w.. I've no idea how to keep on top of it all without exhausting myself, I'm tired :frown:
During my A Levels I often found that some weeks I'd have very little work (sometimes none) and in other weeks I'd be completely snowed under with piles of work for each subject. Its annoying when it happens like that but like you say you just need to keep on top of it. Dont waste your free periods (if you have any) - use them as a time to do homework. If you're particularly pushed for time then give up a break or lunchtime and spend it in the library doing your homework. Reading can be done on the bus/train or at other moments when you'd otherwise be doing nothing.

It can be overwhelming at first and the transition can be hard, especially if you're not used to the level of work. Keep on top if it, dont let one subject lag behind another and you'll be fine :smile:
Thanks for your replies it really helps:smile: Somebody said about leaving hours at the weekend if i don't have a weekend job, i do have a weekend job too.
Redpanda91
I'm in the same boat as you, I was just about ok in year 12 but year 13 is a nightmare, I have had 10 pieces of homework this week! Including c/w to be done by tomorrow, set on Monday. The whole c/w.. I've no idea how to keep on top of it all without exhausting myself, I'm tired :frown:

I know how you feel:o:
Reply 10
i really feel sorry for you guys. i rarely did any homework for A levels, and just revised very hard for 1 month before exams. i dont know if this works for everyone, but i got AAA (maths, chem, bio)

you may be working over the top now and forgetting it all come the important exam period. dont overload yourself
rotor
Prioritise. I did it simply by doing the work that was due in on monday first, and friday last etc. Also perhaps try doing shorter bits of homework first.
Clichéd, but do the work the day it is set. I have been doing it so far this year (year 13) and it has helped me so much. Get all of your HOMEWORK out of the way, and then do extra reading/note making.
I had a similar issue, but prioritising hekps. If you are tired perhaps eat something or drink an energy drink. Or take a nap for 1-2 hours, and then begin work.
Good luck!
xx

This. I also did/do any extra note making/reading when i did the home work if it was combined. You can make it work, once you get the hang of it, it works.
stargirl001
During my A Levels I often found that some weeks I'd have very little work (sometimes none) and in other weeks I'd be completely snowed under with piles of work for each subject. Its annoying when it happens like that but like you say you just need to keep on top of it. Dont waste your free periods (if you have any) - use them as a time to do homework. If you're particularly pushed for time then give up a break or lunchtime and spend it in the library doing your homework. Reading can be done on the bus/train or at other moments when you'd otherwise be doing nothing.

It can be overwhelming at first and the transition can be hard, especially if you're not used to the level of work. Keep on top if it, dont let one subject lag behind another and you'll be fine :smile:

Yeah, i think i'm also finding the transition hard and plus it's a new school too, so i'm taking time to settle in aswell & the level of work:o:
Reply 13
Try and use every bit of time you can. For example my school bus got to school 30 mins before the start of the school day, in Year 12 i would usually just go to the common room and so nothing for 30mins, but in year 13 i used to use it to study, and it has a big effect, its 2 and half hours a week, but it sounds much nicer as half an hour a day :wink: So if can fit regualr short burst of work in it can make a big differnece.

Also as has already been said you should prioritize, if you think you know what you need to on an area then don't spend long doing notes on it, just do what need to.

Once you get into a routine it should get easier. Good luck :smile:
1. Have 2 magazine racks or cereal boxes, label one "in" and the other "out". When you get home from school place stuff in the in box and then when it is finished place it in the out, it enables you to feel as though what you have done is productive and when you see a bulging "in" box you realise you need to do work. :p:

2. Record all homeworks, no matter how small in your academic diary, even if it is just back your books, it will help you as you won't forget.

3. Prioritise your work, as in setting rank, it can be done in accordance with size of homework or due date. It can actually be better doing the most dreaded piece of homework first as it can stop you procrastinating and you may have something more enjoyable afterwards.

4. Break down all the homeworks into smaller pieces, this will enable you to keep on top of things as they will seem less challenging.

5. Organising your folder as you go along will enable you to keep on top of things as this will award you with more time come exam time.

6. Use "free" periods as constructively as possible, they are unjustly called free periods when in fact (as teachers always used to remind me) study periods hence should be used as so.

7. Mark all exams somewhere you can see it and this will make it seem less daunting and provide motivation as you realise you are working toward something therefore need to keep on top of things.

8. Make a to-do list each day and tick off things as you have fulfilled them. This makes it clear what you still have to do.

9. Remember when you were little your mother probably asked you, "Have you done your homework?" well actually tell your mum to keep doing that as you won't want her ranting at you.

10. Finally and the most geeky suggestion, read forward if you are bored. For example in english you may have to do one chapter a night, if nothing is on the television, read three or four chapters and make notes. You can be more on top of it than everyone else thus lessening stress of being behind.

Hope this helps.
LittleMissTwinkle
Thanks for your replies it really helps:smile: Somebody said about leaving hours at the weekend if i don't have a weekend job, i do have a weekend job too.

Do a max of fifteen hours a week at your job and use your break too, I remember at work I used to have one 45minute break on a shift and I would make notes and do homeworks then. :yep:
Reply 16
LittleMissTwinkle

dont go on tsr :p:

go to ur local lıbrary for about 3hours each day after school, ınto the sılent study area n try and do the work uve been gıven on that day, try to tımetable whıch ones due ın fırst and prıorıtıse those.. take clear notes durıng lessons, try to concentrate and read over ur notes at the end of each tıme as bedtıme story :shifty:

good luck :smile:
Reply 17
PRACTICE
It'll take afew weeks to get used to 6thform, Prioratise your work
A2 Has been a HUGE shock for me, but we get time to do homework, like a week, none of my teachers are cruel.
Plan your time, I take Psychology, and I have to use all my frees for homework cause its coursework time for Psychology and philosophy.
I need to plan time in to self teach myself 1/3 of unit 4 in Psychology, so I need to start planning in time for that aswell =|
Sit on it.
You've got frees, too. :]
If you need an extension on a deadline because you don't have time and too many other deadlines, ask for an extension.

Latest