The Student Room Group

Friend also asked for ID when I bought alcohol

Hello, I know people have posted about this before but it's something which really enraged me when it happened. I was in Tesco with a friend from uni, we were both doing our weekly shop and I happened to pick up a four pack of cider. We both went to the same till but it's VERY clear we have done our own shop.

I had my ID ready as I expected to be asked for it but the cashier also asked my friend for ID who was loading his weekly shopping onto the conveyer belt. I decided to question this very bizarre phenomenon which led to the supervisor being called down to explain it. My issue was more to do with why she was asking, because my friend happily handed his ID over. I don't like to see stupid rules being enforced which is why I challenged it; you see, I can completely understand if we had done one shop together and were paying together why she would need to ask for both IDs but as I say it was clear we had done our own shops...it's treading on dangerous territory as it is essentially saying "if you buy alcohol, you can't be with anyone under 18" and we all know that is NOT written into law. If a father was with his 10 year old son, they wouldn't refuse the sale, so why do they immediately assume I am buying it for my friend?

I reminded the supervisor he was quoting company policy and NOT the law; what I take issue with is the undeniable fact that if she is asking my friend for ID, she is in effect suspecting me of purchasing it for him, and there was nothing constituting reasonable suspicion for that. This company policy is not only absurd, it also doesn't work in the slightest for those underage teenagers wanting to get their hands on some vodka; they will literally ask their parents to buy them a bottle or they will get an of-age friend to go in while they wait in the car. Needless to say this experience really upset me and I made a complaint to Tesco.

Scroll to see replies

Seems like you're making a very big deal over nothing. Shops trying to keep underage kids from drinking seems very reasonable and they still let you buy it, so I don't see what the problem is.
This is actually quite common and it's happened to me before too but it's their company policy. It is a really dumb rule but I understand why they enforce it I guess...
You really do sound like a pain in the arse. I've worked in retail, people like you need to do one. It is not worth their job, it takes your friend a second, get the hell over yourself.
Original post by scg123
I don't like to see stupid rules being enforced which is why I challenged it

You might think it's a stupid rule, but it's still a rule that she could lose her job over for note following if you or your friend had been mystery shoppers.
There have actually been cases of parents being refused alcohol sales because they had their children with them. It can be a bit ridiculous sometimes, but the fines for shops (and individual cashiers, I think) are so big that they have to play it safe.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s not the law to ID you both. The shop can still refuse to serve you if they want, even if it’s annoying.
Reply 6
Original post by Theloniouss
Seems like you're making a very big deal over nothing. Shops trying to keep underage kids from drinking seems very reasonable and they still let you buy it, so I don't see what the problem is.

Looking at the time you posted, you took less than a minute to read the whole post, maybe next time be respectful and actually read it all.
Reply 7
Original post by Wick3d
You really do sound like a pain in the arse. I've worked in retail, people like you need to do one. It is not worth their job, it takes your friend a second, get the hell over yourself.

Ah what a lovely comment to brighten up my day! As I have stated, what they are essentially saying is that you cannot be with anyone under 18 if you buy alcohol, is this correct smarty?
(edited 3 years ago)
This is very standard and something you should've already been aware of. (you can easily circumvent this by one going to the tills, other to self-checkout, etc. etc.)

If not, you know now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by scg123
Looking at the time you posted, you took less than a minute to read the whole post, maybe next time be respectful and actually read it all.

I'm a fast reader :dontknow:
(not to mention, my post is actually over 2 minutes later than yours)
(edited 3 years ago)
its not tescos fault, this is a known rule in supermarkets, if they suspect you're gonna give the alcohol to someone who looks under 25 then they have to ID you both. ofcourse its very ambiguous since different people suspects different things but all in all you seem to be overreacting a bit?
i was expecting you to have an argument or something based on how long this post was but turns out someone was just asked for ID??
Original post by scg123
Ah what a lovely comment to brighten up my day! As I have stated, what they are essentially saying is that you cannot be with anyone under 18 if you buy alcohol, is this correct smart a**?

My mistake, I broke one of my rules using TSR. You joined recently, troll. Go away. :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Gent2324
its not tescos fault, this is a known rule in supermarkets, if they suspect you're gonna give the alcohol to someone who looks under 25 then they have to ID you both. ofcourse its very ambiguous since different people suspects different things but all in all you seem to be overreacting a bit?
i was expecting you to have an argument or something based on how long this post was but turns out someone was just asked for ID??

Maybe I did overreact, but nevertheless to quote what you say, they have to suspect you're buying it for the friend, so what constitutes them suspecting it? I guess the main issue is if my friend didn't have his ID on him
Original post by scg123
Hello, I know people have posted about this before but it's something which really enraged me when it happened. I was in Tesco with a friend from uni, we were both doing our weekly shop and I happened to pick up a four pack of cider. We both went to the same till but it's VERY clear we have done our own shop. I had my ID ready as I expected to be asked for it but the cashier also asked my friend for ID who was loading his weekly shopping onto the conveyer belt. I decided to question this very bizarre phenomenon which led to the supervisor being called down to explain it. My issue was more to do with why she was asking, because my friend happily handed his ID over. I don't like to see stupid rules being enforced which is why I challenged it; you see, I can completely understand if we had done one shop together and were paying together why she would need to ask for both IDs but as I say it was clear we had done our own shops...it's treading on dangerous territory as it is essentially saying "if you buy alcohol, you can't be with anyone under 18" and we all know that is NOT written into law. If a father was with his 10 year old son, they wouldn't refuse the sale, so why do they immediately assume I am buying it for my friend? I reminded the supervisor he was quoting company policy and NOT the law; what I take issue with is the undeniable fact that if she is asking my friend for ID, she is in effect suspecting me of purchasing it for him, and there was nothing constituting reasonable suspicion for that. This company policy is not only absurd, it also doesn't work in the slightest for those underage teenagers wanting to get their hands on some vodka; they will literally ask their parents to buy them a bottle or they will get an of-age friend to go in while they wait in the car. Needless to say this experience really upset me and I made a complaint to Tesco.

Does it stop you using paragraphs?
As it is a private business, then the company can have whatever policy it wishes as long as it isnt illegal. Policy is as important as the law for company staff lest they get fired.
If they decide not to sell you alcohol because you dont use paragraphs, then that is their choice.
How do you know their challenge 25 policy doesnt work?

Think you are having rather a large overreaction.
Original post by scg123
Ah what a lovely comment to brighten up my day! As I have stated, what they are essentially saying is that you cannot be with anyone under 18 if you buy alcohol, is this correct smart a**?

Why are you so wound up about getting ID’d? Especially since you did get your alcohol.

I couldn’t buy painkillers recently because I didn’t have ID on me (also shop policy, not law). Which was pretty frustrating since I had a headache. But I didn’t start writing formal complaints or attacking people online over it.
Original post by scg123
Maybe I did overreact, but nevertheless to quote what you say, they have to suspect you're buying it for the friend, so what constitutes them suspecting it? I guess the main issue is if my friend didn't have his ID on him

well its common sense really, if you see 2 ppl both look around 18 and they are talking and 1 of them puts a 6 pack of beer on the till, that usually gives the suspicion the other person is gonna be drinking it too.

for more obscure cases its unclear since it varies. the main thing to takeaway from this is that the cashier would rather ID your friend than get fired because they didn't ID an undercover challenge 25 employee. and yes, that does happen.
Original post by scg123
Ah what a lovely comment to brighten up my day! As I have stated, what they are essentially saying is that you cannot be with anyone under 18 if you buy alcohol, is this correct smarty?

No they arent, they are saying they can ask you to provide id as part of challenge 25. You agree to this policy by entering the shop.
This is common. No biggie
This is quite interesting. When I worked in retail (won't name the store but not Tesco) they made a big deal about how proxy sales only apply if you have evidence goods are being purchased for someone else. Training videos explicitly stated that just because some young people are shopping together, does not mean they should all be asked for ID.
Reply 19
Original post by AcseI
This is quite interesting. When I worked in retail (won't name the store but not Tesco) they made a big deal about how proxy sales only apply if you have evidence goods are being purchased for someone else. Training videos explicitly stated that just because some young people are shopping together, does not mean they should all be asked for ID.

Thank you for your input, that's actually a very helpful comment, many thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending