The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scg123
Ah what a lovely comment to brighten up my day! As I have stated, what they are essentially saying is that you cannot be with anyone under 18 if you buy alcohol, is this correct smarty?

It doesn't have to be positively written in to a specific law, buying from a shop is a form of contract. They can refuse to serve anyone for any reason and you will find they 'reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcohol to adults accompanied by minors'. You were obviously 'with' the other person in the eyes of the till person, and them showing their ID enabled you to buy the alcohol. So everyone was helping you and yet you still have a tantrum :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
No they arent, they are saying they can ask you to provide id as part of challenge 25. You agree to this policy by entering the shop.

I haven't got a problem with them asking my ID, I have a problem with the fact I have to worry about whether my friend has forgotten his ID if I want to go shopping with him...
Original post by Desideri
There have actually been cases of parents being refused alcohol sales because they had their children with them. It can be a bit ridiculous sometimes, but the fines for shops (and individual cashiers, I think) are so big that they have to play it safe.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s not the law to ID you both. The shop can still refuse to serve you if they want, even if it’s annoying.

I have had this happen. When I was buying a family shop and my 18 yr old daughter was with me to help, they refused to sell me alcohol because she didn't have ID on her. I ended up leaving her in the car with the first shop while I went round again and used a different till to check out with alcohol.
Original post by scg123
Maybe I did overreact, but nevertheless to quote what you say, they have to suspect you're buying it for the friend, so what constitutes them suspecting it? I guess the main issue is if my friend didn't have his ID on him

So did your friend have his ID or not?
In post # 13 above you say he didnt have it.
In post #1 you say " My issue was more to do with why she was asking, because my friend happily handed his ID over".
Reply 24
Original post by 999tigger
So did your friend have his ID or not?
In post # 13 above you say he didnt have it.
In post #1 you say " My issue was more to do with why she was asking, because my friend happily handed his ID over".

I think you misread it, I said the issue would be IF my friend didn't have his ID
Original post by scg123
Thank you for your input, that's actually a very helpful comment, many thanks :smile:

Will also throw out that obviously all stores are different, and by the sounds of it Tesco has a totally different policy. I don't buy alcohol, so I've never encountered this. Whether it's right or wrong or not is a totally different debate, but if you're concerned about it, or concerned about shopping with someone that potentially doesn't have ID, just shop somewhere else I guess.
Reply 26
Original post by ReadingMum
I have had this happen. When I was buying a family shop and my 18 yr old daughter was with me to help, they refused to sell me alcohol because she didn't have ID on her. I ended up leaving her in the car with the first shop while I went round again and used a different till to check out with alcohol.

This is why I think the rule is a little silly because if someone wants alcohol they can easily get their hands on it.
Reply 27
Original post by AcseI
Will also throw out that obviously all stores are different, and by the sounds of it Tesco has a totally different policy. I don't buy alcohol, so I've never encountered this. Whether it's right or wrong or not is a totally different debate, but if you're concerned about it, or concerned about shopping with someone that potentially doesn't have ID, just shop somewhere else I guess.

As I say, the issue is more to do with the fact that if I go shopping with anyone I have to make sure they have ID, and that's not what it should be like
Original post by scg123
As I say, the issue is more to do with the fact that if I go shopping with anyone I have to make sure they have ID, and that's not what it should be like

I would generally agree that it shouldn't be a matter of "hey guys I want to buy some age restricted product, has everyone got ID". But realistically your options there are to shop individually, do the ID check with everyone or shop somewhere else. Tesco aren't going to change their policy
So what ID or no drink you spending money on drink you should be doing your course work you look 15 and are acting like 15 grow up posting stuff like that on TSR what do you think we are going to agree with you
where's the op gone?😂
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
where's the op gone?😂

I am the OP.png
When I've gone to my local pubs before with my friend and we were buying a round they asked for ID from both of us despite it just being one of us paying, this happend at several pubs we visited. However, our local shop didn't ask for ID however we were buying alcohol or when my friend bought some cigars during the middle of the day, but this was when school was on and we were not in uniforms and might have recognised me from before when i showed them ID before a couple months back
Original post by Anonymous
What a very poorly constructed sentence, no punctuation and the grammar is appalling!

At least l am not Anonymous and not in hiding like you if you knew anything about me you would change your mind so dont make judgement on me unless you are a perfect human being ?
Have the friend wait elsewhere, while you pay for the items. Don't let shopkeeper see the both of you together. Sometimes looking younger than one is can be quite annoying, especially if that person doesn't have an ID card.
Original post by Anonymous
Have the friend wait elsewhere, while you pay for the items. Don't let shopkeeper see the both of you together. Sometimes looking younger than one is can be quite annoying, especially if that person doesn't have an ID card.

CCTV is watching its illegal to buy alcohol for someone that looks younger they should buy there own alcohol and show there ID the shopkeeper can be fined up to £10.000 by law they have to ask for ID they dont want to ask to see your ID but they have to do it
Original post by Scottishlad888
CCTV is watching its illegal to buy alcohol for someone that looks younger they should buy there own alcohol and show there ID the shopkeeper can be fined up to £10.000 by law they have to ask for ID they dont want to ask to see your ID but they have to do it

How is that even remotely relevant? They just mentioned having the friend wait somewhere else so they don't get asked for ID. Nothing is this thread has implied OP is trying to complete a proxy purchase.

I'll also note, it is only the law to ask for ID of the person making the purchase. If a store chooses to implement a policy where they ask everyone in the party for ID that is their choice, but that is not in itself a law. Hence why anonymous suggested the friend go and wait somewhere else.
Original post by AcseI
How is that even remotely relevant? They just mentioned having the friend wait somewhere else so they don't get asked for ID. Nothing is this thread has implied OP is trying to complete a proxy purchase.

I'll also note, it is only the law to ask for ID of the person making the purchase. If a store chooses to implement a policy where they ask everyone in the party for ID that is their choice, but that is not in itself a law. Hence why anonymous suggested the friend go and wait somewhere else.

Its called adding and abetting telling the friend to go and wait somewhere else the friend should carry there own ID and buy there own drink
Original post by Scottishlad888
Its called adding and abetting telling the friend to go and wait somewhere else the friend should carry there own ID and buy there own drink

1: It's called aiding and abetting
2: The actual name for the act of buying age restricted goods at the request of someone else is called a proxy sale
3: It is completely and utterly irrelevant, as OP has never suggested they were trying to buy alcohol on behalf of their friend, or that their friend had anything to do with the purchase. OP is not comitting a crime, nor would it be a crime to ask a friend to wait somewhere else to circumvent store policy of getting ID from everyone in the party.
Original post by AcseI
1: It's called aiding and abetting
2: The actual name for the act of buying age restricted goods at the request of someone else is called a proxy sale
3: It is completely and utterly irrelevant, as OP has never suggested they were trying to buy alcohol on behalf of their friend, or that their friend had anything to do with the purchase. OP is not comitting a crime, nor would it be a crime to ask a friend to wait somewhere else to circumvent store policy of getting ID from everyone in the party.

Not to mention, OP's friend isn't underage so it wouldn't be a proxy sale anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending