The Student Room Group

Shamed for not being able to tell the time

Don't know why I'm being shamed that I can't tell the time... Ok I get it, it's "essential" but if I can't, I can't.
Not right now anyway, maybe in the near future when I get a job I'll teach myself. But I'm 21, since school and college I have struggled immensely with maths, I've repeated it 3x in college and still failed lol.
I think it's just easy to say what number is shown on the phone instead of the clock, like say exactly what number it is and keep it moving - makes it less complex. I become so puzzled when people say quarter past 5 or quarter to 8, only thing I understand is half 6 which is 6:30. I'm in university now, and have no maths related courses which is a blessing, however in the real world When I get a job I'll probably be asked about my maths qualifications and it'll be AWKWARD. Also job positions might require math knowledge, again AWKWARD. Is it possible to teach myself to know how to tell the time? I feel embarrassed that I can't, it's simple for others but not for me :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It doesn't really matter. Say it how you like.
Honestly it doesn't take a lot of practice. Just watch a 5 minute video on Youtube and you'll learn quickly. And once you've understood the basics just keep testing yourself every time you see a clock.
But it's not a problem. I doubt it's ever going to be a problem for you!
Reply 3
Original post by gtty123
It doesn't really matter. Say it how you like.

True.
Reply 4
Original post by dylgeo
This was taught around Year 3 times. Must be something with you, sorry 🙁

Nothing is wrong with me, not everybody grasps a hand of knowledge easily, takes longer for others, and in that circumstance It's taking long for me. But I'll know it eventually. How about that.
Reply 5
Original post by dylgeo
This was taught around Year 3 times. Must be something with you, sorry 🙁

Wow. What a naive comment. So, someone, for example, who can't grasp a concept at Maths, initially, is "wrong"? Completely disregarding the fact that they can improve?
I can’t glance at a clock and immediately know the time, I need to work it out first. It’s not instinctive.
But it’s not really an issue. I have a digital watch. I am an accountant. Only time it was an issue was in Japanese lessons where they show us a clock and say it in Japanese, took me longer to work out the tone, then translate.
It sounds like you have discalculia. Most people who struggle with time find it easier to use a digital clock all the time, but this actually might not be the case for you.
I don’t know much about teaching people with discalculia, but I’ve heard they struggle when things are just in numbers and find it much easier to work with physical objects and shapes. Could you try getting one of those analogue clocks kids learn with that have the plastic moveable hands, and visualise the different times on it? You could even write words like ‘quarter past’ and ‘quarter to’.

Edit: it seems like I’m wrong about the analogue clocks being easier https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexia/neurodiversity-and-co-occurring-differences/dyscalculia-and-maths-difficulties
(edited 3 years ago)
Try counting in 5s or search it up on google how to tell the time.
Reply 9
This is something you learn when you're 5 with a paper plate and some metal pointers when you make your own clock and practice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by chloenix
Just watch a 5 minute video on Youtube and you'll learn quickly.

(What's the point telling them it's 5 minutes?, they won't know :tongue: )
Original post by StriderHort

What's this supposed to mean? Lol. I'm not stupid, I know numbers.
Original post by Anonymous
What's this supposed to mean? Lol. I'm not stupid, I know numbers.

It's an obvious gag that I could not bring myself to walk away from.
Have you ever been tested for dyscalculia, it's like dyslexia but for maths.
Original post by StriderHort

Bit mean but it was a good one lmaooo
Learning to tell the time is a skill most people have before they can read and write to any standard, so your situation is unusual.
Khan academy has a video and some practice questions on the topic that can be useful for you.
Lol I'm sure there were more comments on this thread earlier, but if deleting truthful comments helps you...So just to sum up you are 21 years old and cannot tell the time but there is nothing wrong with you?? hmm
most clocks are digital so it probably doesn't matter but I suggest you learn just in case
Original post by Anonymous
Don't know why I'm being shamed that I can't tell the time... Ok I get it, it's "essential" but if I can't, I can't.
Not right now anyway, maybe in the near future when I get a job I'll teach myself. But I'm 21, since school and college I have struggled immensely with maths, I've repeated it 3x in college and still failed lol.
I think it's just easy to say what number is shown on the phone instead of the clock, like say exactly what number it is and keep it moving - makes it less complex. I become so puzzled when people say quarter past 5 or quarter to 8, only thing I understand is half 6 which is 6:30. I'm in university now, and have no maths related courses which is a blessing, however in the real world When I get a job I'll probably be asked about my maths qualifications and it'll be AWKWARD. Also job positions might require math knowledge, again AWKWARD. Is it possible to teach myself to know how to tell the time? I feel embarrassed that I can't, it's simple for others but not for me :/

You shouldn't be shamed for it but I still think you should learn it to save yourself from future embarassment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending