The Student Room Group

housemate being selfish, what can we do?

I'm in second year of uni and living with 5 other girls. One of the girls I live with is classed as high risk for covid so we have to be extra careful. Yesterday she got very ill and ended up in A&E. Her immune system is compromised atm so if she were to get covid it wouldn't be good.

My other housemate has her bf over every weekend from up North. We told her that he shouldn't come down this weekend because he's coming from a high risk area and its putting her health at risk. She freaked out and stormed off but turns out she still invited him and he's just arrived. Everyone is obviously fuming but its not like we can physically stop him getting in the house. Is there anything we can do? We were thinking about telling the landlord but even then what can he do?
Tell your landlord and see what he says. In this case, your flatmate is brining somebody from a high risk area who isn't part of the household over and that isn't fair at all. Maybe have a flat meeting too to see why she's being such an *******.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in second year of uni and living with 5 other girls. One of the girls I live with is classed as high risk for covid so we have to be extra careful. Yesterday she got very ill and ended up in A&E. Her immune system is compromised atm so if she were to get covid it wouldn't be good.

My other housemate has her bf over every weekend from up North. We told her that he shouldn't come down this weekend because he's coming from a high risk area and its putting her health at risk. She freaked out and stormed off but turns out she still invited him and he's just arrived. Everyone is obviously fuming but its not like we can physically stop him getting in the house. Is there anything we can do? We were thinking about telling the landlord but even then what can he do?

I would probably have a word with uni residential services or anyone that is handling health & safety related to COVID. Although it sounds like you are not in uni managed accommodation, they still have a duty of care and you should all be following their guidance.

You've tried the "appealing to someone's common sense" approach, so I think you need to try something else now.
Im having a similar thing with one of my flatmates, every night he brings his friends round, we are in a local lockdown here in Birmingham so it isnt allowed in the first place. His friends aren’t even in these halls and they don’t even go to the same uni. Im hoping now we are in tier 2 that he has stopped as he didnt have them round last night. They used to come and stay til around 3am and shout in the corridors slamming the doors. Its not him thats the issue its his friends. They don’t seem very approachable. One of them looks at us like we shouldn’t be here.

The other flatmates mostly agree that its out of order but all we said to him was they were being too loud. We dont want a year of arguments so have left it at that. Im hoping one day they will get caught out but it doesnt seem that way as security seem to be letting them in 🤷*♂️🤦🏼*♂️
(edited 3 years ago)
I would tell the landlord and when he comes just go in your own rooms or go in a room together and lock it.Is the girl still in the A E ?
Talk to the landlord.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending