The Student Room Group

Do international applicants compete with other international applicants for places?

Hi all, I'm applying to study in the UK as an international applicant. I've applied to some pretty competitive universities (LSE, UCL, etc.) and I was curious - will I be competing only with the other international applicants for a place, or will I also be competing with EU & UK students? Additionally, for what I've applied to study, I've noticed on TSR that everyone else applying is male whereas I'm female - does that work in my advantage (i.e. universities have to give equal number of offers to both males & females) or does it not matter much at all?
Reply 1
Yeah technically you'll be competing for a place same as every one else but I have a feeling that since there is going to be less overseas applicants this year you might have a better shot just because the top Unis usually take quite a lot, but on the other hand there's a hell of a lot of people who would have been going to uni this year who have deferring until next year because of covid (myself included) so I wouldn't be able to say how the two will weigh up against each other.
I believe you compete with other international students. Your gender might work to your advantage but no, there is no rule to say that a university has to give the same number of places to females as males.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending