The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Stress

It's got to that time where everyone is applying to university, and my personal statement (or lack of) is really starting to annoy/worry/stress me out. I did fine at AS level, have a decent set of GCSE results, and my reference should be fairly decent as well, furthermore, I've picked my course and my 5 unis, my problem however, lies with the personal statement.

I have started trying to write it, but always seem to run in to obstacles. On the phrasing/style side of things, it either sounds really cheesey and fake, or horrendously dull and poorly written. On the academic side of things, I keep finding myself relying on nothing more than AS/GCSE standard knowledge, simply because I don't/haven't read around my subject. To put salt in the wound, my extra-curricular activities consist of a part-time job and nothing else, which hardly helps. :frown:

Anyone got any advice or ideas? I think one of my main problems is I don't really know what the admissions tutor will be looking for, and therefore, don't really know what to write.
Reply 1
I feel your pain.
Reply 2
read a book on the subject. talk about that.
or go on wikipedia and look at what some, for example, economist has to say about the causes of the american bank **** ups. then say what you think about it.

your ex curric just being a part time job is fine. try and do something but a part time job is fine!

all personal statements sound cheesy and poorly written :P
except mine, of course :smile: :biggrin:
Well you should start reading around the subject, even just on Wikipedia. What are the reasons for studying it? What did you like about your A Levels that is relevant to the course? What do you want to do with the course later? What kind of interests do you have? How does your job help you relevant to the course? Time management, planning, people skills?
Reply 4
Rhysy123
I feel your pain.

:rolleyes: The fact that I'm applying for geography doesn't help either. Simply because there are very few example personal statements on the internet to look at unlike law/medicine etc where there are loads...
I've written mine, but I think I'm talking absolute *******s for 90% of it :biggrin: So am too embarrassed to post it in the PS helper section, for now...
Reply 6
I'd suggest to start reading around your subject NOW then! Buy some books, read a bit to see if you like it and then put it in your PS - you can finish reading it later (do make sure you do this though).

I get the impression most tutors don't care much about the PS so don't worry too much - just write anything right now to get a first draft and then improve on it.
I just wrote whatever came into my head, really. Talk about yourself and why you like the subject you're applying for, I guess!
Reply 8
Don't worry ...!! Relax...Which subject you're applying for ??
My friend had similar problems .
She divided into 3 or 4 sections , like the course,extra curri,closing statement,etc and wrote spontaneously . Then Edited out each section by modifying language ,style, sturcture , it turned out well . I suppose reading a lot about your desired choice will aid you .
The admission tutor will generally look at your motivation,knowledge and your ability to complete the course successfully . It is important you try to be 'yourself' but show confidence, enthusiasm .
Mine sounds so cheesy " I understand the importance of computers at the forefront of technology" blah blah blah (I'm applying for computer science)
Reply 10
don't worry, I'm in a similar state of panic over mine as due to having changed my mind over what course I want to do 3 times I've had to write it 3 times over. not fun, not fun at all.

I'm sure it'll all come together in the end, and get people you know to look over it, like a friend or a parent, people who you're comfortable enough with that it'll be funny rather than embarrassing if they tell you it's rubbish :p:

my dad told me mine read like a tacky tourist guide. to be fair, I was being a bit hyperbolic :biggrin:
Do a skeleton, with really basic words at first..just list... 'job' 'AS levels' etc. and then start expanding, so write a sentence or even just a phrase, for example on job.... do this for them and you'll probably find you keep adding in little extra phrases. Then explain WHY you think these things relate to your chosen degree, and you'l begin to build up diddy paragraphs, which you can start piecing together.
Try to over-repeat words....use a thesaurus. Get together maybe 1000 characters and then leave it a day or too, then come back to it....I find that a litle break helps ideas to improve.
And of course, take note of all that the above lovely people have recommended!!

Hope this helps even a tiny bit.

Don't forget, you're persuading the admissions people- they want to be told WHY they want YOU on their course. Good luck!!!
Reply 12
Luce-eeeee
use a thesaurus.

^^^ pearl of wisdom. thesaurus = your friend
Personal statements are about getting the right balance between sounding cringeworthy and cocky :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending