The Student Room Group

Can someone give me some advice?

Is it normal to have loads of friends around you and yet still feel lonely,to appear happy and bubbly on the outside but be really down and depressed on the inside? I should be happy my life is good and I get along well with people but I don't feel okay what should I do?? I don't feel like I belong here or anywhere as a matter of fact I don't like the person I am on the inside.
I'm sorry to hear about this. :console: It sounds like your depressed. Have you talked to your GP about it?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal to have loads of friends around you and yet still feel lonely,to appear happy and bubbly on the outside but be really down and depressed on the inside? I should be happy my life is good and I get along well with people but I don't feel okay what should I do?? I don't feel like I belong here or anywhere as a matter of fact I don't like the person I am on the inside.

Hi there

Yes it is VERY normal to still feel lonely even though you have loads of friends. Because those friends might not be actual real friends - they're in your life but they're not fulfilling your friendship needs. And that's normal. It's very common to also have this happy exterior but feel depressed inside because of those issues.
Have you had a falling out or do you just not feel like they know you anymore or they're not the type of friends that fulfil your needs anymore? Have you tried cutting those friends out of your life and finding new ones?
I know it's hard (especially if you're studying or working from home right now during covid) but it's not impossible i.e. I never thought I'd be FTiming my Bumble BFF friend who I met 4 months ago - we talk almost every single day now and plan to meet in the new year. So anything is possible.

Maybe you need to pause and take a step back and reflect on what is making your happy, what is making you unhappy and what you want to change.
Reply 3
Thank you for replying I do have some close friends that I can talk to I just don't as it feels like a weaknesses admiting to them that i'm in a vunerable and compromising position especially as a teenager people don't seem to understand as much and I feel like I have nobody to talk to It's a lonely world especially now because of covid and i feel like im slowly losing myself and I can't stop it from happening.

Original post by 21ForEva
Hi there

Yes it is VERY normal to still feel lonely even though you have loads of friends. Because those friends might not be actual real friends - they're in your life but they're not fulfilling your friendship needs. And that's normal. It's very common to also have this happy exterior but feel depressed inside because of those issues.
Have you had a falling out or do you just not feel like they know you anymore or they're not the type of friends that fulfil your needs anymore? Have you tried cutting those friends out of your life and finding new ones?
I know it's hard (especially if you're studying or working from home right now during covid) but it's not impossible i.e. I never thought I'd be FTiming my Bumble BFF friend who I met 4 months ago - we talk almost every single day now and plan to meet in the new year. So anything is possible.

Maybe you need to pause and take a step back and reflect on what is making your happy, what is making you unhappy and what you want to change.
Thank you for replying I do have some close friends that I can talk to I just don't as it feels like a weaknesses admiting to them that i'm in a vunerable and compromising position especially as a teenager people don't seem to understand as much and I feel like I have nobody to talk to It's a lonely world especially now because of covid and i feel like im slowly losing myself and I can't stop it from happening.

I 100% understand you. I had a low period a few months ago - partly covid but most of it was existing issues that just blew up BECAUSE of covid being the catalyst. I ended up feeling like my friends never understood my emotions or feelings on some of my issues - they were not understanding. I've cut them off now so that's good. Much more healthy to do this instead of having friends hanging around like webs - they're there but not really there.

I think there's people still out there who'd love to help you and hear you out. You might find them via friends. But if this fails then I would go to Talking Therapies (NHS) and get a referral. It's actually me in the past talking to someone who's got an unbiased approach with these things. The Mix and Samaritans is also good if you just want random calls or instant chats -- whereas the NHS thing is more of a 20 session therapy course. They'll help you choose which type of therapy you might need. But in no way, does therapy make you any less of a capable human being - everyone needs help with finding themselves and finding happiness ... it doesn't matter where you get the help from, ya know?

I hope this has helped. PM me if you're feeling lonely.
Completely normal. There's a video a saw by a psychiatrist called Dr K (he does twitch streams where he interviews and helps people with their mental health) on this exact thing.

Hiya there!
Yes, its very, very normal to feel like this. I used to be like u - I had loads of friends yet still felt lonely and seemed like a happy person but felt depressed. But now I'm better. For me what I did was try and calm my mind - self-care. Take some time for yourself Luv it will help a lot. Try to focus on yourself and give yourself positive quotes - I have positive quotes all around my locker at school and in my bedroom at home.
What activities do you like to do?
Reply 7
I love sport and being active but slowly I have found myself not liking it as much
I love sport and being active but slowly I have found myself not liking it as much

do u like any crafts or baking or anything similar?
Reply 9
Original post by sunny.side.up
I'm sorry to hear about this. :console: It sounds like your depressed. Have you talked to your GP about it?

I spoke to them before a year ago maybe when i started to self-harm but they said i would be okay and that it would pass but they did refer me to camhs a therapy thing but nothing has come of it...
Original post by 𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
do u like any crafts or baking or anything similar?

my auntie has a bakery and I bake some of the cakes but with covid the bakery has gone downhill and things havent been great so now i just bake when i can or when I want to do something as all i ever do lately is sit and stare into space......
my auntie has a bakery and I bake some of the cakes but with covid the bakery has gone downhill and things havent been great so now i just bake when i can or when I want to do something as all i ever do lately is sit and stare into space......

how do u feel about crafts? - like journaling, bullet journaling, knitting etc?
I spoke to them before a year ago maybe when i started to self-harm but they said i would be okay and that it would pass but they did refer me to camhs a therapy thing but nothing has come of it...

Follow up with them about it. Sometimes referrals get lost, it's ****. Be persistent in getting help.

In the mean time try and do what you can to help yourself, it won't get rid of the MH issues, but should help you manage them a little better.
Original post by Pathway
Follow up with them about it. Sometimes referrals get lost, it's ****. Be persistent in getting help.

In the mean time try and do what you can to help yourself, it won't get rid of the MH issues, but should help you manage them a little better.

thank you
how do u feel about crafts? - like journaling, bullet journaling, knitting etc?

I can't say I've ever tried it will it help do you think??
I can't say I've ever tried it will it help do you think??

YES, it will help! - well when I went through a rough depression path it did
I would suggest the following:
- journaling and or bullet journaling;
- jewellery making;
- calligraphy - its amazing;
- knitting;
- doing some mindfulness;
- card making;
YES, it will help! - well when I went through a rough depression path it did
I would suggest the following:
- journaling and or bullet journaling;
- jewellery making;
- calligraphy - its amazing;
- knitting;
- doing some mindfulness;
- card making;

thanks for the advice you have really helped me out and i appreciate it .
thanks for the advice you have really helped me out and i appreciate it .

awww your welcome! Glad I could help
if you need something to cheer you up I suggest my blog - I write self-care quotes and remind people about them being themselves
My blog: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6751346

Have you tried the therapy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending