The Student Room Group

Similar to Of Mice and Men....Recommendations?

I have a friend who's resitting GCSE English and wants to get into reading. He doesn't really read for pleasure but enjoyed Of Mice and Men, his GCSE set book.
Can anyone recommend any simple to read books, with fairly obvious themes or explanations available, simple language, to help with his comprehension?

I was thinking Animal Farm maybe? Some more Steinbeck? Not read any myself but Tortilla Flat or Cannery Row?
Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
What about the other GCSE texts? Lord of the Flies is usually in there, as is To Kill a Mocking Bird. The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye, too.

Also Dickens, maybe? Great Expectations, David Copperfield, perhaps Oliver Twist.

I would say no to Animal Farm. It's too allegorical, and has no real plot or character development. Nineteen Eight-Four would be better.
Reply 2
I was considering 1984 - I read it a few years ago and am studying at the moment, but I was worried the dystopian world might seem overbearing? Animal Farm might be a good introduction to Orwell?

The other GCSE tests seem like a good idea, I'll certainly recommend them. Many thanks :smile:
The Red Pony is the only other Steinbeck novel I've read, but it's good - quite short and simple, like OM&M, with an underlying meaning that isn't too hard to work out. If he's not a keen reader, then maybe something more contemporary than most of the GCSE texts would be good? I personally love Chuck Palahniuk, whose books are horrifying and hilarious in equal measure, and absolutely impossible to put down IMHO.
Oh, also, my friend wanted to get her boyfriend into reading so she bought him "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (can't remember the author's name right now, someone will know) - the crazy drug theme was irresistible to him. :p:
Try the Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck; it's most similar in content to Of Mice and Men, at least in historical terms. Also, on a broader note, I would read Malory's Tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table as they were a MASSIVE influence on Steinbeck's writing.
Reply 5
Marlowe
What about the other GCSE texts? Lord of the Flies is usually in there, as is To Kill a Mocking Bird. The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye, too.
Also Dickens, maybe? Great Expectations, David Copperfield, perhaps Oliver Twist.

I would say no to Animal Farm. It's too allegorical, and has no real plot or character development. Nineteen Eight-Four would be better.

In addition, Flowers for Algernon, The English Patient, and The Separate Peace.
Reply 6
Mrgd291190
Not read any myself but Tortilla Flat or Cannery Row?
Cheers :smile:

These books are a brilliant read.

Latest

Trending

Trending