The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

I am studying a degree in business but I want to do a second degree in Radiography

I am in my last year of studying business at university at Hertfordshire university but I’ve recently been interested in radiography. I am a bit confused how I could go into radiography and will I be able to get funding. In terms of requirements, I have a Btec Health and social Care Extended diploma but I’m not sure if that will be enough to be considered. If anyone could help me out and tell me what my options are I’d appreciate it.
Afternoon!

Qualified radiographers register with the HCPC; I applied for and was successful for operating department practice and occupational therapy (these were separate applications with a few years in between) both of these professions register with the HCPC as well. The application process was similar to radiography back then. Some years ago I submitted an application via UCAS and attended selection days with group tasks and individual interviews. Your personal statement should definitely mention patient-centered care because the patient is quite literally the reason you are there. You should say what drew you to radiography. Radiographers need to undergo continuing professional development (CPD) throughout their career and keep a record of this in order to remain a registered radiographer and, therefore, be safe to work. CPD shows that your knowledge is based on up to date evidence. You need to get this across in your statement and any interviews. You also need to be prepared for writing reflections on your practice. This is like a writing a professional diary entry that the HCPC might read i.e. what did you do at work, how you did it, why did you do it, what could you have improved, etc.

With a previous degree you will be showing that you have studied at a higher level before and can handle that level of study. Brill. When I got on the OT degree, many people had degrees in things like Fine Art. Your BTEC appears very relevant, explain in your personal statement what this has taught you in relation to studying radiography. Definitely mention any relevant work experience with people.

You need to be prepared for placements which are very fatiguing and are usually in addition to your other uni commitments. You might be placed down the road or miles away from home.

Funding wise I can offer no advice because when I studied an allied health professions course it was NHS bursary funded and I've not kept up with that side of it recently and student funding always changes.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending