The Student Room Group

Haircuts in Cambridge

The short gist:

Where's the cheapest place to get a decent haircut in Cambridge within reasonable cycling distance of Churchill College? Any student discounts, etc.

Basically, I've never actually had a haircut in England before. I always go back home and do it during the holidays. However, since I've been working here over summer I figure I need to get it overwith before term starts.

Anything I should know about British barbers? I saw Sweeney Todd a few weeks back...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lololol. cambridge is the worst place for haircuts, in the world probably.

i don't think there are any west of the river, so...

the closest i think is Mr Politos. i think i got cut by Mr Polito himself when i went there, and with his first snip he cut my entire fringe off, which i did not ask for. i went a second time, actually, and a fat woman cut my hair. not great. £11, i think.

then there's that place that has the boards outside, and has the student offer thing. most people seem to go there, and they all come back having the exact same haircut. £11 again i think, and awful.

the best (and final) place i've been is Parkers, on Regent Street. it looks slightly more funky than the other places, and the lady cutting my hair was quite nice. her hands smelled of cigarettes too, which i kind of like. £11 again.

if you remotely care about your hair, i'd recommend getting it cut outside of cambridge, or if you can afford it, go to Toni & Guy.
Reply 2
Cut it yourself?
I think mill road has a few good places. Google maps it.

Depends. Are we talking cheap and cheerful or full on super-styled?
Reply 4
I just had my dreadlocks redone at a hairdresser in cobble's yard just out of the Grafton Centre. I've also seen one or two other hairdressers around the Grafton Centre area. I'd try those places first, simply because that's normal Cambridge, so they aren't likely to be charging you the ridiculous prices they could get away with in the historic centre.
And yeh - not tried Mill road, but that's another likely place to look for something reasonable.
Reply 5
There's a barber on King St and one on Jesus Lane too. Not a clue how much they are- I never ever got my hair done in Cambridge because I get it highlighted and it was expensive enough for a cut- Northern prices are much cheaper!
Reply 6
Sensible, Jo. Unfortunately I live here :dry:

If one is that lazy, there's also a barber on Pembroke st. Again - looks pricey to me.
Reply 7
Jesus Lane (Dominics) is £10 for students. Seems ok quality
Reply 8
Deep1989
Cut it yourself?

No. Don't. I know this from experience.

Lets just say, i'll be making sure to never face away from anybody for a few weeks.
Reply 9
Gourdman

Lets just say, i'll be making sure to never face away from anybody for a few weeks.

He's a boy, he should just shave it off.
Reply 10
Gourdman

I cut my own, not hard at all, clippers on a long length(depending how long you like it) and cut, easy!!!
Reply 11
Don't know exactly where's best for a boy to have it done, but if we were to open up this thread in a more general sense, then I've had my barnet fair done in a few places. Directors on green st are pricey, but they've always given me a good cut. Plus, they will cut your hair and colour it for cheap if you agree to be a model for one of their trainees. San Rizz on Sussex St. are the same - both salons are quite slick, and the trainee is supervised by a stylist so I'd recommend either! I got my hair cut and coloured for £25 at the latter....

If you want cheap(er) prices, go up near the Grafton. Lets be honest though, if you go anywhere South of Birmingham you're going to get less for your money *grumbles*. I can get my hair highlighted, cut and blow dried by a stylist for £35 in Manchester!!!!
i swear i walked by a toni and guy when i went for an impromptu visit, lol.
Reply 13
Many people object to paying £50 for a haircut though :p:
Reply 14
Ruthie_J
Directors on green st are pricey, but they've always given me a good cut.

they also have a constant flow of steam coming out of the front of the place into the street. it's so weird.

just wanted to get that off my chest.
Reply 15
Yeah, there's a Toni and Guy. They quoted me £75 to have my hair put up for a ball :|

The steam thing is bizarre!! I wonder, do they have dungeons on Green St?
Reply 16
I think I'm going to try to last a term without having it cut. Then just get it cut when I return home. May pull it off if I have it cut it really short just before I go. *hopes, doesn't want fringe butchered too*
Reply 17
I just want a cheap fast, decent looking haircut. No need for colouring or styling, I have hair gel for that :biggrin:.

It seems a little overboard and time consuming to compile a list of hair joints and visit each of them in turn. What are your absolute best recommendations for value and product?
Reply 18
Your male, what the hell are you doing at a hairdressers? Buy clippers for £9 at boots stand on a sheet and shave your head. Ta da.
Reply 19
JonGreg1
Your male, what the hell are you doing at a hairdressers? Buy clippers for £9 at boots stand on a sheet and shave your head. Ta da.

This thread is doing wonders for my ego. Am I actually the only bloke to utterly and miserably FAIL at this? I managed to get the front and top looking nice enough (took a while round the ears) but somehow managed to gouge chunks out the back.

Although I only have my sister's word on that. She's probably lying. Because i'm not incompetent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending