The Student Room Group

AS level choices..

I am considering taking Geography, Psychology, Economics or English Lit and Lang.
I'm a bit unsure about English, as much as i enjoy it i got a C at GCSE in English Lang and a B in English Lit when i was predicted A's in both so am aware this is my weakest subject.
I got an A at GCSE in maths, a B in geography and have no previous experience of the other two subjects.
Could anyone possibly give me some more information on these courses, what they involve, and personal experiences with the subjects to help me decide.
Any help is great!
Many Thanks
Reply 1
what do you want to study at uni?
Reply 2
Pineapple1989
I am considering taking Geography, Psychology, Economics or English Lit and Lang.
I'm a bit unsure about English, as much as i enjoy it i got a C at GCSE in English Lang and a B in English Lit when i was predicted A's in both so am aware this is my weakest subject.
I got an A at GCSE in maths, a B in geography and have no previous experience of the other two subjects.
Could anyone possibly give me some more information on these courses, what they involve, and personal experiences with the subjects to help me decide.
Any help is great!
Many Thanks

If you got an A in GCSE maths, you'll find A-level maths a doddle, easiest subject by far. You learn a few principles then solve the same equations. Plus it's so respected. Do maths, maths maths maths, maths is cool.
Pineapple1989
Any help is great!
Many Thanks

No. It depends on whether you are NATURALLY a good mathematician or do you NATURALLY prefer mathematics should you do AS Maths I feel. I'm also an A-grader at Maths, and that only happened because I worked my socks off to get it. In mind, if I went with the flow, I'm no naturally better than the average C to Low B student at Maths.
So don't do maths, on the basis it was an A only.
If you were predicted As in English, it means you had the talent to get it, and you enjoy it, so dont let bad gcses ruin it for you , go for it.

Economics or Eng Lit or Lang?
Out of the three take the first two.
Not lang. Lang isnt as respected as the first two.

Other than that your choices are fine.
Only Psychology is seen as the 'softer' option, but you'll drop that most likely at A2. So everythings in order
Reply 4
Maths, Geography, Economics and Psychology. Great combination for you.
Reply 5
Snobpence17
If you got an A in GCSE maths, you'll find A-level maths a doddle, easiest subject by far. You learn a few principles then solve the same equations. Plus it's so respected. Do maths, maths maths maths, maths is cool.

I have to disagree sorry, Everyone in my class who only got an A at GCSE went on to get a U or E at A level. Even some people who got an A* only got a C maybe. It's definitely a step up from GCSE.
Reply 6
Milch
I have to disagree sorry, Everyone in my class who only got an A at GCSE went on to get a U or E at A level. Even some people who got an A* only got a C maybe. It's definitely a step up from GCSE.

Seriously?

my school is shiiiit and there were 5 A's at AS, plus about 5 people who were very close. It's easy, easy, easy, in a non-football chant sense :awesome:
Reply 7
Sorry i'm new to this whole thing and forget about replies until now lol.
I would like to become a teacher, but don't have any specific areas of teaching in mind.
I am currently studying for a maths A Level as well, but thanks for your advice to do so lol.
Thank you all for your help!
Still a tad undecided though..
Reply 8
Snobpence17
Seriously?

my school is shiiiit and there were 5 A's at AS, plus about 5 people who were very close. It's easy, easy, easy, in a non-football chant sense :awesome:

I personally found Maths Easy, Easy, Easy as I got 94% in it at As and I think about 10 others got an A aswell. However there also many people who found it extremely hard and got a U or an E so it is only an 'easy' subject if you are naturally talented at maths.

Latest