The Student Room Group

The Oxbridge Mentality

The mentality im talking about is the supposedly hard work ethic. Ive been set on applying oxbridge for a while now but recently ive started to have doubts, thankfully my application isnt in yet so i still have some deliberation time. Anyway, to the real issue.

I've spent most of my academic life coasting through and doing very well, at least until this year when ive actually decided to work hard (Otherwise my A2's may decide not to come out nicely and i will fail to get into any nice uni's). Anyway, i know any university steps up the workload considerably to anything a student is previously used to, but i guess oxbridge does even more so.

I'm not adverse to hard work, at least i don't think i am, but i can be quite lazy - although i have the desire to work hard and suceed with my future degree. The problem is i am not 100% sure i will enjoy the ever so clichéd "work hard play hard" mentality. I have read many posts about how oxbridge is ever so stressfull with the short 8 week long terms being basically just one elongated deadline. How much more work intensive is it than many of the other universities, mainly the 'topish' ones? Now i know that sounds bad as in order to go oxbridge you need to be prepared to work extremely hard, which i think i am, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, how much does it differ from the 'normal' (i use that word lightly) university experience? Obviously you are being taught by the leading professionals in your subject, the subject of my choice being Geography, but what about the social side of things? I really want to enjoy my time at university but i get the feeling from many things ive read that its so work intensive that sometimes its impossible - is this a general pattern in universities?

Is it perhaps worth going to a 'easier' (again a term used very lightly) university as getting a 2:2 at oxbridge is still a 2:2 and closes many doors, whereas it must, in theory, be easier to get a 2:1/first at other uni's. Dont get me wrong, im not really looking for the easy way out, but if i arrive and find i cannot actually cope with working and my top level of working is coasting, just about doing enough, then im a bit buggered.

Finally, do you find that the longer holidays are boring and seem to be a waste of time? I get the feeling that once ive had a taste of freedom i wont enjoy being pushed back into my hometown life and will be dying to come back to university - you spend more weeks out of oxbridge than you do in it if my maths is right? I guess there will be alot of work to do, but still...

I understand my questions are pretty hard to answer, hell they are pretty hard to distinguish from the crap ive written, but im tired and feeling quite ill so there's my excuse ^^.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i wouldn't worry. i'm sure you'll be able to handle it.
Do what you want!
Symbioticenigma
Do what you want!

That's real helpful :rolleyes:
Reply 4
LH123

Is it perhaps worth going to a 'easier' (again a term used very lightly) university as getting a 2:2 at oxbridge is still a 2:2 and closes many doors, whereas it must, in theory, be easier to get a 2:1/first at other uni's. Dont get me wrong, im not really looking for the easy way out, but if i arrive and find i cannot actually cope with working and my top level of working is coasting, just about doing enough, then im a bit buggered.

I can't help you with most of these questions, as I was only ever a postgrad at Oxford. But I would like to say that it isn't easier to get a 1st / 2:1 at other unis, at least not intellectually / academically. The thing that makes Oxbridge more work is the unassessed essay count. But this has little bearing on the degree classification you'll end up with.

As for your other questions, current undergrads are more likely to be able to advise you. It's probably true that you can get away with more laziness at universities that don't offer (twice-)weekly tutorials - but in other ways, these tutorials might provide the extra help you would have to ask for, rather than expect, at some other universities. Swings and roundabouts.
Reply 5
A lot of courses at a lot of universities are actually quite a bit more relaxed than the last two years of a lot of secondary schools.
the_alba
I can't help you with most of these questions, as I was only ever a postgrad at Oxford. But I would like to say that it isn't easier to get a 1st / 2:1 at other unis, at least not intellectually / academically.

Pretty sure this isn't true for at least some courses.
Reply 7
I really can't answer your question as I don't know what Oxford is like but if you are passionate about what you do and the environment suits you then you shouldn't have a problem. Apply for it, and see what you vibe you get during the interviews.
Reply 8
LH123

I've spent most of my academic life coasting through and doing very well, at least until this year when ive actually decided to work hard (Otherwise my A2's may decide not to come out nicely and i will fail to get into any nice uni's). Anyway, i know any university steps up the workload considerably to anything a student is previously used to, but i guess oxbridge does even more so.

I'm not adverse to hard work, at least i don't think i am, but i can be quite lazy - although i have the desire to work hard and suceed with my future degree. The problem is i am not 100% sure i will enjoy the ever so clichéd "work hard play hard" mentality. I have read many posts about how oxbridge is ever so stressfull with the short 8 week long terms being basically just one elongated deadline. How much more work intensive is it than many of the other universities, mainly the 'topish' ones? Now i know that sounds bad as in order to go oxbridge you need to be prepared to work extremely hard, which i think i am, but I'm not entirely sure.

You sound like me, and I got a first. I guess it depends a lot on the subject you do, and the attitude of the college you're at - you can't really lump the whole of oxbridge together!

I studied a science subject and found that provided you actually go to most lectures, and stay awake in most of those, you'll be fine. I often got completely lost by about half way through a lecture course but made sure I at least got my head around whatever was necessary to do some of the tutorial questions, and (vitally) put in the hours to properly get my head around it when it came to revision. Of course it goes without saying you need to have some degree of talent for your subject.

Arts subjects I haven't experienced but I imagine it's a similar story - just replace lectures with reading.
Reply 9
I'm a lazy arse with the willpower of a mind-controlled cat, with a slight dichotomy in that I can work really well when I'm 'in the zone'. If you're coasting, that probably means that when you actually get down to working you'll turn out decent stuff. The Oxbridge lifestyle pressures you with frequent supervisions/lectures, so you're usually under motivation to work, and if you pay attention then, and crunch down before exams everything should be fine. I was (un)fortunate enough to somehow strike the exact spot of getting the lowest First in the year, which is too close for my comfort but arguably the best work-reward ratio you can get.
Reply 10
the_alba
But I would like to say that it isn't easier to get a 1st / 2:1 at other unis, at least not intellectually / academically. The thing that makes Oxbridge more work is the unassessed essay count. But this has little bearing on the degree classification you'll end up with.

I'd disagree. The standard of work required to get a 1st / 2:1 naturally differs between institutions, because the papers are marked internally, and not according to some standard national critera. A first from Oxbridge is just darn hot. The standard is higher, the courses more in depth and vigourous, and the learning environment more intense.

OP - doesn't mean we can't have fun though :cool: . There are more societies at Oxbridge than any other uk university culture. Life's not just about work - the Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie/Python footlights crew are testament to the fact that students at Oxbridge can be well rounded too...
Ruthie_J
OP - doesn't mean we can't have fun though :cool: . There are more societies at Oxbridge than any other uk university culture. Life's not just about work - the Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie/Python footlights crew are testament to the fact that students at Oxbridge can be well rounded too...

Except that Hugh Laurie got a third :biggrin:
Reply 12
Most people here coast a lot more than this site will appear to suggest. Especially Arts students. Despite what many will shriek at you about "OXBRIDGE BEING ABOUT LOVING YOUR SUBJECT MORE THAN YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS/FAMILY/PERSONAL HYGENE" and other such sweeping overstatements, most people hit a point where they no longer care if their tutor gives them one less tick than usual, and will start to ease up.

I had many of the same concerns as you, and to be honest, there were weeks when I just wanted to go out and do something but everyone I know seemed more engrossed in their essays. Or weeks where I felt like if I didn't lock myself in my room and put on my hairshirt, I would never get this essay done.

It is rare that either of these situations was actually true.

Some people will spend hours slaving in front of a hot laptop, before going out and downing their own weight in alcohol. However, a lot won't stress so much, and will space out their work/play time, instead of trying to condense them into completely separate halves of the week. Much more like a 'regular' university, but with tutorials instead of more lectures.

Obviously, the work is hard. But as for it being so work intensive it's impossible...no. People who get that wound up are generally perfectionists putting those standards upon themselves. Or medics.

the_alba
The thing that makes Oxbridge more work is the unassessed essay count. But this has little bearing on the degree classification you'll end up with.

This is a really good point. Remember, these essays do not count towards your degree. They are essentially the Oxbridge equivalent of notes taken at lectures. Kind of. Do not freak out about them, you can improve on it before your exams.
Reply 13
It's perfectly possible to coast and get a 2:i, at least for some subjects (including my own, PPE). If you want to coast, you'll be able to.
Reply 14
Dan-IW

And so did David Mitchell.

Doesn't change the fact that he's bloody hilarious. I wonder if that would be a bad thing to put on your PS "Going to Oxbridge makes it more likely that i'll become a comedian"
Reply 15
Dan-IW

Anyone know what class degree Stephen Fry got? I know he did English at Queens', Cambridge.
Reply 16
Gourdman
And so did David Mitchell.

Sorry but worng. Close but no cigar.

Wessexscene.co.uk
Mitchell scraped a 2.2. in history after tremendous cramming in the weeks leading up to his final exams.

Link - http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/features/1011
Reply 17
2.1 i believe
Reply 18
zef99
Sorry but worng. Close but no cigar.

Link - http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/features/1011

I was right in that he bummed around and didnt really try to hard.

Admittedly, I didn't use those exact words, or even anything close to them, but I knew it. Which is close enough.
Reply 19
the_alba
I can't help you with most of these questions, as I was only ever a postgrad at Oxford. But I would like to say that it isn't easier to get a 1st / 2:1 at other unis, at least not intellectually / academically. The thing that makes Oxbridge more work is the unassessed essay count. But this has little bearing on the degree classification you'll end up with.

As for your other questions, current undergrads are more likely to be able to advise you. It's probably true that you can get away with more laziness at universities that don't offer (twice-)weekly tutorials - but in other ways, these tutorials might provide the extra help you would have to ask for, rather than expect, at some other universities. Swings and roundabouts.

For economics at least, the external examiners tend to disagree

Latest

Trending

Trending