The Student Room Group

Bristol LLB on hold

I was just told that my LLB application was put on hold. I have been straight A’s in all my classes for the past two years. My country doesn’t have GSCE’s. I surpass LSE’s A-level equivalent. Bristol doesn’t specify the exact equivalent. My grades should be A*A*A or 3A*. I really felt my personal statement was strong. I felt like my LNAT MCQ went well, and Bristol gives out a lot of offers to 50 percent essay applicants..and I believe I at least achieved that score. Could they of put me on hold due to my unconventional grades? I am really worried.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gizmo2020
I was just told that my LLB application was put on hold. I have been straight A’s in all my classes for the past two years. My country doesn’t have GSCE’s. I surpass LSE’s A-level equivalent. Bristol doesn’t specify the exact equivalent. My grades should be A*A*A or 3A*. I really felt my personal statement was strong. I felt like my LNAT MCQ went well, and Bristol gives out a lot of offers to 50 percent essay applicants..and I believe I at least achieved that score. Could they of put me on hold due to my unconventional grades? I am really worried.

Surpassing LSEs entry requirement is irrelevant. This is Bristol not LSE.

I also would say dont try and equate your grades to A-levels. Look on the international section of Bristols website. Bristol will make their own mind up on what your high school grades represent.

If its not a rejection then your application is still in consideration, it just means its not strong enough for an offer yet. They may need to see the whole cohort of applications or see what percentage of offer holders "firm" them before sending out offers to other students.

Law is competitive & Bristol has an excellent reputation, this means they likely get a very high yield from offers and as such admissions teams need to be more diligent when giving out offers.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Surpassing LSEs entry requirement is irrelevant. This is Bristol not LSE.

I also would say dont try and equate your grades to A-levels. Look on the international section of Bristols website. Bristol will make their own mind up on what your high school grades represent.

If its not a rejection then your application is still in consideration, it just means its not strong enough for an offer yet. They may need to see the whole cohort of applications or see what percentage of offer holders "firm" them before sending out offers to other students.

Law is competitive & Bristol has an excellent reputation, this means they likely get a very high yield from offers and as such admissions teams need to be more diligent when giving out offers.

I didn't equate my grades with A-levels. I equated them with my A-level equivalent in my country. I equated my high school grades with the GSCE's. Secondly, I would love to look at Bristol's website to find the A-level equivalent, but they don't offer much information. They just tell me to achieve good grades.
So, to figure out my A-level equivalent I used LSE's and KCL's website. My predicted grades surpassed their A*AA equivalents.
I think it is safe to say that Bristol would have a similar opinion of my grades.
I never said that I was rejected. I understand the concept of being on hold. I simply don't understand why my application wouldn't be considered strong enough.
Reply 3
Original post by Dillt2003
Could it just be that they’ve already given out quite a few offers before the January 15th deadline. Perhaps it’s on hold just to give fair consideration to all of the other applicants.

I suppose you might be right, but I still quite disappointed.
Reply 4
That’s understandable!

I hope you hear some good news from them in the future. Have you heard anything promising from other universities?

No, I sadly haven't. I haven't been rejected, but not offered a place either.
No, I sadly haven't. I haven't been rejected, but not offered a place either.

This is something Bristol do very often. It is like a holding letter. They will reply in due course probably sometime in the New Year. Loads of law applicants at Bristol are receiving the same letter. Nothing to do with you or your qualifications. @McGinger can you add anything to this.
Reply 6
Hopefully you’ll hear back soon!

Where else have you applied?

I have applied to KCL, Edinburgh, LSE, Cambridge and Bristol. I hopefully will get an interview offer from Cambridge soon, and maybe an offer from LSE or Edinburgh. I have a feeling that KCL will take a while...at least that is what everyone told me would happen.
Reply 7
Exciting! They’re all fantastic choices and I hope you hear back soon.

I applied to Cambridge too, but for history! Which college did you apply to?!

I applied to Gonville and Caius. Which other unis have you applied to?
Reply 8
I applied to Christ’s. Caius is nice though!

I’ve applied to Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and Warwick.

I’ve offers from the first three, just waiting on Warwick and Cambridge now!

Congrats! Is Cambridge your first choice?
Reply 9
Definitely hahaha

You have a couple “acceptable” schools to fall back on.
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
This is something Bristol do very often. It is like a holding letter. They will reply in due course probably sometime in the New Year. Loads of law applicants at Bristol are receiving the same letter. Nothing to do with you or your qualifications. @McGinger can you add anything to this.

Thank you! I saw someone get an AAB offer though.
Thank you! I saw someone get an AAB offer though.

Lots of Bristol law applicants get this letter. Look through previous threads.

Depending on how they process applicants, they may not even have read your PS at this stage. Likely all that is happened is that someone has scanned your quals and deemed you above the auto reject criteria. You’re probably in a huge pile waiting for a course selector to score.

Being out on hold isn’t a bad thing.
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
Lots of Bristol law applicants get this letter. Look through previous threads.

Original post by Admit-One
Depending on how they process applicants, they may not even have read your PS at this stage. Likely all that is happened is that someone has scanned your quals and deemed you above the auto reject criteria. You’re probably in a huge pile waiting for a course selector to score.

Being out on hold isn’t a bad thing.

Thank you! You have both put my mind at ease!
I’m thinking about exactly the same thing... I’m also an international student from Hong Kong and have achieved grades equivalent to A*A*A. I already received an offer from Durham and given Durham and Bristol are in the same league, I’m quite curious as to why my application is considered not strong enough for an offer...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by davidtse
I’m thinking about exactly the same thing... I’m also an international student from Hong Kong and have achieved grades equivalent to A*A*A. I already received an offer from Durham and given Durham and Bristol are in the same league, I’m quite curious as to why my application is considered not strong enough for an offer...

Please read post #19 for your answer. It’s not that your application isn’t strong enough, it’s that they haven’t assessed your application in full at this stage. It’s just a courtesy to let you know that you are still being considered.
Incidentally this thread is a good example as to why my Uni does not generally send out ‘hold’ messages to applicants. It just causes confusion and frustration, (quite understandably too).

In reality, a great many uni’s will place your application on and off hold at various stages. They just choose not to tell you about it.
DON'T PANIC.

This is how Bristol does things. They score applications and rank them as they come in and start making offers gradually from the top of the list. The score threshold for offers is gradually reduced and once January arrives/they have all the LNAT results, offers happen more quickly. Some offers may not be made until March/April - hang on in there, if you have not been rejected you are still likely to made an offer as the process goes on.

So - its just a system of 'parking' applications with a view to a later offer. You meet the entry requirements, your LNAT is acceptable, they have scored your application. Unlike many other Unis who just go quiet on you, Bristol actually tells you what is going on.
Reply 18
Original post by McGinger
DON'T PANIC.

This is how Bristol does things. They score applications and rank them as they come in and start making offers gradually from the top of the list. The score threshold for offers is gradually reduced and once January arrives/they have all the LNAT results, offers happen more quickly. Some offers may not be made until March/April - hang on in there, if you have not been rejected you are still likely to made an offer as the process goes on.

So - its just a system of 'parking' applications with a view to a later offer. You meet the entry requirements, your LNAT is acceptable, they have scored your application. Unlike many other Unis who just go quiet on you, Bristol actually tells you what is going on.

Thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by McGinger
DON'T PANIC.

my friend was put on hold but I haven't heard anything yet. we are both applying for law. what does this mean for me? is it a good thing or a bad thing?....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending