The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick- history of art

is anyone doing history of art at Warwick?? for 2023 entry
Reply 1
Hi! I am a second year Art History student at Warwick. If you have any questions I can answer them :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by eharris04
Hi! I am a second year Art History student at Warwick. If you have any questions I can answer them :smile:

Hi i wanted to ask how academic this course is because I’m looking through the modules and it just seems very vague also how is the teaching structured?
Reply 3
Original post by darklingswife
Hi i wanted to ask how academic this course is because I’m looking through the modules and it just seems very vague also how is the teaching structured?

The contact hours are very little per week compared to other courses. Here is a run-down:
- 4 modules per term: Study skills and main module, and then you have options on the other 2 modules you would like to take.
- Lectures for main modules only and seminars for all modules
- I had 9.5 contact hours per week, then you are expected to do a certain amount of reading per week
However there is a lot reading to complete per week and extra reading is necessary in order to structure a good academic essay. You have to write an essay for each of your modules at the end of every term.

The second year includes a term in Venice, which is one of the main reasons I chose the course haha. Even though you don't spend a lot of time with lecturers (which my flatmates were very annoyed about as they had like 5 things a day lol), it is a very academic course. You learn about technique, influence, importance of message, development, institutional critique in paintings, drawings, sculpture, architecture, ceramics, textile, immersive experiences etc.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I will say that the module descriptions are very vague so I can add some more detail if you need it.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by eharris04
The contact hours are very little per week compared to other courses. Here is a run-down:
- 4 modules per term: Study skills and main module, and then you have options on the other 2 modules you would like to take.
- Lectures for main modules only and seminars for all modules
- I had 9.5 contact hours per week, then you are expected to do a certain amount of reading per week
However there is a lot reading to complete per week and extra reading is necessary in order to structure a good academic essay. You have to write an essay for each of your modules at the end of every term.

The second year includes a term in Venice, which is one of the main reasons I chose the course haha. Even though you don't spend a lot of time with lecturers (which my flatmates were very annoyed about as they had like 5 things a day lol), it is a very academic course. You learn about technique, influence, importance of message, development, institutional critique in paintings, drawings, sculpture, architecture, ceramics, textile, immersive experiences etc.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I will say that the module descriptions are very vague so I can add some more detail if you need it.

Thank you so much !! May i ask what your career ambitions are? ( i have no idea what I’m doing in life) and also i thought the Venice term was in 3rd year? That’s what it says on the website?
Reply 5
Original post by darklingswife
Thank you so much !! May i ask what your career ambitions are? ( i have no idea what I’m doing in life) and also i thought the Venice term was in 3rd year? That’s what it says on the website?

no problem :smile: I don't really know what I want to do yet either haha, art restoration/conservation would be good but art fraud is something I am interested in. There are many career options that are available to you if you take this course though.
Yes aha I thought Venice was in the 3rd year too, it might have changed due to covid but i'm not sure. Us 2nd years and 3rd year History students are going next term.

Quick Reply

Latest