The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Reputation

I've fallen in love with one of the courses at York, but after watching a few videos and researching more, multiple people have said York has a reputation for being boring along with the people... is this true? I'd like some advice as I'm debating as to whether to put it as my first choice!!
The reason York gets that rep is because it hasn’t got a huge club scene like places such as London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. and if that’s what you want, then York may not be the one for you! However, York is definitely far from boring.

The club scene isn’t wild, but there are still 4 decent clubs (5 if you include Popworld...) which host good, cheap, busy student nights. There are also numerous bars and pubs, which I would say is where York really holds its own - there are so many unique events on, you just have to look!

Then in the day, York is one of the most historic cities in the UK, with so much history to explore, museums, walks to do etc. There’s also all your usual shops and cute little cafes to discover.

In terms of the university itself, York is really like any other middle sized university, but with the added bonus of the college system, which is another way to meet people and attend social events.

So please don’t let people make you think York is boring - yes, it hasn’t got the crazy club scene like the bigger cities will give you, but it’s far from boring and still has plenty going on :smile:
University of York
York
Boring is relative.

But if you are choosing to go to a small city (townish) university, which is miles away from a major city, it is the kind of university you go to because you need some ambience to focus on your studies.
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalBeams
Boring is relative.

But if you are choosing to go to a small city (townish) university, which is miles away from a major city, it is the kind of university you go to because you need some ambience to focus on your studies.

I think I've decided I like city universities better and I'm going to replace York with Edinburgh! thanks for the advice:smile:

Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
The reason York gets that rep is because it hasn’t got a huge club scene like places such as London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. and if that’s what you want, then York may not be the one for you! However, York is definitely far from boring.

The club scene isn’t wild, but there are still 4 decent clubs (5 if you include Popworld...) which host good, cheap, busy student nights. There are also numerous bars and pubs, which I would say is where York really holds its own - there are so many unique events on, you just have to look!

Then in the day, York is one of the most historic cities in the UK, with so much history to explore, museums, walks to do etc. There’s also all your usual shops and cute little cafes to discover.

In terms of the university itself, York is really like any other middle sized university, but with the added bonus of the college system, which is another way to meet people and attend social events.

So please don’t let people make you think York is boring - yes, it hasn’t got the crazy club scene like the bigger cities will give you, but it’s far from boring and still has plenty going on :smile:

I think I've decided I like city universities better and I'm going to replace York with Edinburgh! thanks for the advice it was very helpful:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I've fallen in love with one of the courses at York, but after watching a few videos and researching more, multiple people have said York has a reputation for being boring along with the people... is this true? I'd like some advice as I'm debating as to whether to put it as my first choice!!

York isn't all that boring; indeed, if it were, no one would visit (and it has a thriving tourist sector). There's over 400 pubs and bars in the city. There are quite decent clubs; although they are hardly as good as those found in Manchester, Leeds or Liverpool. But, despite this, most students who like the club scene of the bigger cities often go on nights out in Leeds (it's a 20 minute train journey). I think that, considering you've "fallen in love with the course", you'd be silly to worry about stereotypes--after all, it's the degree that matters the most!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest