The Student Room Group

My hair is falling out

Hello,
Seeking desperate help!
My hair is falling out at an alarming rate and it is significantly thinner than it used to be. I have bleached my hair 3 times and I also straighten it every time I wash it. Recently, the quality has deteriorated. Is this because I bleached it or is it a nutrition /stress problem? Its falling-out from the root.... I am very stressed constantly with A levels and also have eating problems - however I still eat around 1,300/1,400 a day (but no simple carbs at all and little meat ie protein)

Has any one experienced anything similar or have any advise on how to six it?

Was hoping to dye it back to brown as I hate the bleach... Would this be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 1
Go to your GP for advice.
Reply 2
i think its probably a combination of all these things. I suggest talking to your GP about it if its due to nutrients or stress because they can suggest solutions and help medically. If you're a girl going on the pill helped me stop my hair falling out as much, it also cleared up my skin which was good, so that could be an option. Also if you can try to let your hair dry naturally (sometimes that's just not possible i get that). If you're thinking about dying your hair and think it might also be a factor for your hair loss id suggest phoning up a hair salon for advice, not necessarily for an appointment although it would be better if you are able to afford it. I have a friend who frequently used to dye their hair and it was really damaged because of it, they chose to use wigs instead as it gave their hair a break. Bleaching tends to thin the hair so i wouldn't suggest that although i think dying it darker might be ok.
I used to loose a lot of hair from stress and i found focussing on making sure i looked after my mental health really helped so if you are finding things difficult mentally its a good idea to speak to a therapist, friends or family. Also if you can it would be a good idea to take protein supplements if you don't consume enough because sometimes it can be easier than actually eating although it still is difficult.
I hope this has helped, feel free to ignore everything ive said, im just talking from personal experience. Hope things get better :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by graceooo
i think its probably a combination of all these things. I suggest talking to your GP about it if its due to nutrients or stress because they can suggest solutions and help medically. If you're a girl going on the pill helped me stop my hair falling out as much, it also cleared up my skin which was good, so that could be an option. Also if you can try to let your hair dry naturally (sometimes that's just not possible i get that). If you're thinking about dying your hair and think it might also be a factor for your hair loss id suggest phoning up a hair salon for advice, not necessarily for an appointment although it would be better if you are able to afford it. I have a friend who frequently used to dye their hair and it was really damaged because of it, they chose to use wigs instead as it gave their hair a break. Bleaching tends to thin the hair so i wouldn't suggest that although i think dying it darker might be ok.
I used to loose a lot of hair from stress and i found focussing on making sure i looked after my mental health really helped so if you are finding things difficult mentally its a good idea to speak to a therapist, friends or family. Also if you can it would be a good idea to take protein supplements if you don't consume enough because sometimes it can be easier than actually eating although it still is difficult.
I hope this has helped, feel free to ignore everything ive said, im just talking from personal experience. Hope things get better :smile:

Thank you thats really helpful :smile:
Are there any updates on your hair right now? Please keep us posted. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by cooltowering
Are there any updates on your hair right now? Please keep us posted. :smile:

Hi - sorry this is 2 months later.

I found a saviour product - Olaplex (no.3). Literally repaired my hair in two uses. It was kind of pricey at £26 but definitely worth every penny. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by a2n2o2n
Hi - sorry this is 2 months later.

I found a saviour product - Olaplex (no.3). Literally repaired my hair in two uses. It was kind of pricey at £26 but definitely worth every penny. Hope this helps :smile:

You realise this only makes it *look* better, it won't solve any underlying issues. Sounds to me like you need to up your protein. Hair falling out is very common if you're not giving your body the nutrients it needs. Maybe change your wash routine also - less is more.

Quick Reply

Latest