The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Do Woosta pay for you to advertise? he he

They ought to, tbh :beard:
Original post by Nevarty
I was looking at Exeter because it looked gorgeous, plus I’m a huge His Dark Materials fan. In the end something didn’t feel right about it and when I remembered my grandad went to Johns I just knew it was meant to be.

Then again, I’m a different person now to the person I was last year, never say never, I might change my mind again 😂

You mean Philip Pullman? He is an Exonian (but I bet you knew that).

My son did the telethon at Exeter College (fundraising at beginning of December). Philip Pullman visited the college, said "hi" to all the fundraisers and treated them to high tea at Banks.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hee hee! I do like promoting Woosta :biggrin: SJC is a great college too though :yep: Plus almost everyone ends up happy, whichever college they end up at :biggrin:

That's right, everyone loves their own college. There's no wrong choice.
Reply 23
You mean Philip Pullman? He is an Exonian (but I bet you knew that).

My son did the telethon at Exeter College (fundraising at beginning of December). Philip Pullman visited the college, said "hi" to all the fundraisers and treated them to high tea at Banks.

Yes! Hence why I mentioned it! It would be so cool to go there and see the place that inspired Jordan. But I can’t get too carried away and I have to think of what would best suit me as a place to live for 3 years if I was lucky enough to get in
Original post by Nevarty
Yes! Hence why I mentioned it! It would be so cool to go there and see the place that inspired Jordan. But I can’t get too carried away and I have to think of what would best suit me as a place to live for 3 years if I was lucky enough to get in

I've recorded His Dark Materials but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth it?
Reply 25
I've recorded His Dark Materials but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth it?

Definitely! It’s been quite loyal to the books so far which always pleases me.

Makes the film that was made a few years ago look like it was made in a GCSE film class 😂
Original post by Nevarty
Definitely! It’s been quite loyal to the books so far which always pleases me.

Makes the film that was made a few years ago look like it was made in a GCSE film class 😂

Really? Hope that polar bear doesn't keep jumping out like it did in the film as that's quite scary :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Really? Hope that polar bear doesn't keep jumping out like it did in the film as that's quite scary :s-smilie:

I should have titled this thread the His Dark Materials Appreciation Society 😂😂
Hey @Nevarty, this thread has had 100 views already!

:call2::call:
Reply 30
Hey @Nevarty, this thread has had 100 views already!

:call2::call:

Shame there’s only one applicant. Seems I don’t have much competition to worry about hehe 😂
Original post by Muttley79
This is a bit early when people are now being interviewed for 2021.:eek:

If you are in Year 12 how on earth can you be sure you will be at the right standard? I'm a very experienced teacher and I can see some people who might be 'right' for Oxford but grade prediction now is just foolish.

It's such a lengthy process and requires such certainty that it goes much further than grades - in my opinion. I think now is the right time and commend everyone for starting at this point!
Original post by CJStevens
It's such a lengthy process and requires such certainty that it goes much further than grades - in my opinion. I think now is the right time and commend everyone for starting at this point!

I agree wholeheartedly @CJStevens

I think we should all make out like a boy scout and "be prepared". This may be the time to start doing a bit of reading, if you have some spare time (then you're not cramming at the last minute) Here, for the first time on this thread, Is Oxford Demystified! It's a free, online book written by me and Oxford students (offer holders at the time) on how they got into Oxford, with a few general pointers from me.

This is the first year I have had nearly every chapter, and people are starting to point out, on the Oxford 2021 thread, that people at their school are starting to get more interviews... hopefully this will translate into more places @Nevarty @Scotney

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480
hello - i’m a reapplicant, after being rejected pre-interview.
still not sure if i’m reapplying but i thought i might as well write on this thread anyway

geography @ keble

gcses: 99999888888A*7777 (12 a*s 4 as)

- i’ve taken a few gcses this year (at my school and they paid!!) and i’ve studied them on my own. i’ve done all of my centre assessments for my gcses now, and i got 999998 and my evidence i have provided all is at grade 8 or 9, so hopefully that’s all good signs!

A*A*A*A in epq geography economics and english literature.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by azby1098
still not sure if i’m reapplying but i thought i might as well write on this thread anyway
geography @ st hilda’s or st anne’s, gcses: 6 A*s 4 As (with mitigating circumstances), predicted A*A*A*A in epq geography economics and english literature.

hoping that if i reapplied my circumstances may be taken more into account :redface:

If you had 6A*s and 4As I can't help but suspect you were rejected for reasons other than your GCSEs? Your personal statement, for example.
Original post by Theloniouss
If you had 6A*s and 4As I can't help but suspect you were rejected for reasons other than your GCSEs? Your personal statement, for example.

yeah i thought that, but geography shortlists ‘blind’ so only gcses are really looked at :/ also i had an email from the head of geography at york uni who said she loved my PS and altered my offer to lower grades. i’ll have to get feedback and see. also i had a lot going on during gcses, so i would have achieved much higher and oxford were aware of that too :/
geography @ st hilda’s or st anne’s, gcses: 6 A*s 4 As (with mitigating circumstances), predicted A*A*A*A in epq geography economics and english literature.

hoping that if i reapplied my circumstances may be taken more into account :redface:

Hi Azby :hello:
Hi Azby :hello:

Hey OM!!
Hey OM!!

Hey, Azby! Enjoy the serenity of this baby thread, before it gets overcrowded
Reply 39
Hello 2022 applicants! I’m Culver but you can call me Rosie if you want. I’m a 2021 applicant for modern languages and linguistics, and have taken two interviews today! However, I’m not your average applicant - I have faced extenuating circumstances over the past few years, and my GCSEs were a lot lower than other applicants because of this. To be exact: 8887766655. See? No 9s at all, and two 5s (one of which was in maths, may I add!). Despite all that, I still got an interview offer.

Use me as someone to inspire you and your application! If you’re here and wondering whether to apply or not, especially if your GCSEs are lower than other people’s and you’ve faced circumstances that have negatively impacted your grades, I’d definitely encourage you to apply!

I’m always here if you want to ask me questions about the applications process, the admissions test, interviews, modern languages, linguistics, or if you think you have faced mitigating circumstances. I don’t have an offer, but I’m more than willing to help any of you! Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending