The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azby1098
yeah those are fine a levels :smile: i don’t think it matters too much as long as you do geography. i’d say sociology may be pretty helpful and i do economics and that’s really interesting and applicable

Yes sociology is quite helpful especially with human geography!
Reply 81
UMM, HEY, I wanna apply for 2022 and can you guys just give me a realistic image about my application please:
- Predicted : A*A*A
- GCSE : 999998776
- State school
- Medicine
Reply 82
Original post by yxsh_p
UMM, HEY, I wanna apply for 2022 and can you guys just give me a realistic image about my application please:
- GCSE : 999998776
- State school
- Medicine

I don't know. Medicine is so intensely competitive. Three of my friends applying for Oxford Medicine each have a combination of only 8s and 9s (and more 9s than 8s). We're also in a state school with a high rate of FSM (one of them was on FSM and one still is). Maybe Cambridge might be better, since they pay less attention to GCSEs and more to BMAT/UCAT scores and A-Levels? Or maybe you should ask for his opinion as he's much more qualified to give you a realistic point of view than me (I hope you don't mind me tagging you for this).
Reply 83
Original post by Nevarty
I don’t think I personally could have coped with the admissions process and stress

Nothing wrong with changing your mind. If it happens it happens. One thing 2020 taught me is some things are meant to be

Yeah, that's one of the other things I'm worried about. It looks like such a laborious process and a lot of people aren't even successful. At least you've got some first-hand experience with applications now and you have the chance to study something you might like even more. I talked to a current Fine Art Oxford student back in September (the virtual open day) and she said she absolutely loves the course and the support given to those studying it, so hopefully you'll find that it suits you. :smile:

And yes, truer words were never spoken about a year as chaotic as 2020.

Original post by Jelly20
Apply! It’s one of five choices. Some of the brightest minds tend to underestimate themselves and, at the end of the day, someone has to get in. If you don’t apply, you won’t get in. If you do apply, you could. Don’t let the reputation and prestige of the university implement a fear of not being good enough... go for it!

Thank you! Good luck if you're applying too.
Reply 84
Thank you
Original post by overlord25
I heard that it's generally not a good idea to apply to the same college- the same people as before will likely read your application

oh I didn't know that, thanks for the tip!
Subject: CAAH
Stats: GCSEs = 999999999999, A-Levels = A*A*A*D1
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you, , for that healthy dose of realism there.

The best time to put off prospective medics who, because of low GCSE results, have little point in applying to Oxford, is now.
Original post by Pichi
Yeah, that's one of the other things I'm worried about. It looks like such a laborious process and a lot of people aren't even successful. At least you've got some first-hand experience with applications now and you have the chance to study something you might like even more. I talked to a current Fine Art Oxford student back in September (the virtual open day) and she said she absolutely loves the course and the support given to those studying it, so hopefully you'll find that it suits you. :smile:

And yes, truer words were never spoken about a year as chaotic as 2020.

Thank you! Good luck if you're applying too.

If it's a laborious process, yet you are determined enough, you won't be put off. In fact, you will enjoy the process.

The only thing is, you are not guaranteed to get a place, no matter how hard you work. It's a matter of flair.

Do have a go if you want to. As my son says "someone has to get in, and it might as well be me".

Yes you have to get top marks to get in for medicine, but not necessarily for some other subjects.
Original post by Elizabeth Choc
Hi there. Can't believe I'm here already after just having left the Oxford 2021 thread a few weeks ago - I was rejected pre-interview for law at Worcester. The email was horrible, but I want to reapply. A lot of places say not to bother if you're rejected pre-interview but I'm from Australia and was preparing my oxford application while studying for my final exams so I didn't have much time to prep for the lnat or devote to my ps so I feel like I didn't put in the best application I'm capable of by a long shot. I don't regret it, I had to focus on my finals but it's still sad. On to the introductory things though:

Subject applying for ~ Law
College applying to ~ Probably Worcester again I just love it
A Levels/ equiv taking ~ in Aus you get an ATAR (number between 1 and 99.95)
Additional qualifications (if any) - nope
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ Just got my results yesterday and I got a 99.30 (equivelant to A*A*A* or A*A*A I believe)
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~ Australia has no equivelant
Why Oxford? ~ Best Law school in the world (other than Harvard but I don't want to go to America right now)
Why that college? (if you know why) ~ I love that Worcester has such beautiful gardens, I live in the countryside and I need lots of grass, plus it has a lake and that's amazing
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ Australian state school

As has been said before, do NOT apply to the same college again.

Try changing your application, as what you have done before has not worked. Do more research, when Covid is over, trying going to see real court cases if you are allowed to in Australia, etc.
Original post by Nevarty

University of Oxford 2022 Applicants
Well either I'm blind or there isn't a thread for Oxford hopefuls applying for entry in October 2022 - Forgive me if I'm wrong and I will go home and cry
( Praise be to @Oxford Mum )

Tell us about yourself

Subject applying for ~
College applying to ~
A Levels/ equiv taking ~
Additional qualifications (if any) -
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~
Achieved GCSE/ equiv grades ~
Why Oxford? ~
Why that college? (if you know why) ~
State/Private/Grammar/Home ~

Peace and love to all and hope you are all staying safe out there! <3

My name is Courtney and I am in Year 12!
1) Law or Oriental Studies (I initially wanted to do PPE but I’m not taking Maths or History A-Level)
2) Magdalen for Law and either Balliol or Christ Church for Oriental Studies
3) English literature, Politics and Religious Studies
4) AAA (we can’t be predicted an A* until year 13)
5)9888888777
6)I just prefer the jurisprudence course at Oxford in comparison to other universities
7) I like the architecture at Magdalen. I’m still researching the colleges.
8) State school
Hey Courtney. Which Oriental Studies option do you think that you might apply for?

Original post by Courtzzz13
My name is Courtney and I am in Year 12!
1) Law or Oriental Studies (I initially wanted to do PPE but I’m not taking Maths or History A-Level)
2) Magdalen for Law and either Balliol or Christ Church for Oriental Studies
3) English literature, Politics and Religious Studies
4) AAA (we can’t be predicted an A* until year 13)
5)9888888777
6)I just prefer the jurisprudence course at Oxford in comparison to other universities
7) I like the architecture at Magdalen. I’m still researching the colleges.
8) State school
I wanna apply for medicine 2022 entry can you guys just give me a realistic image about my application please:
- GCSE : 9999999888
- Independent school
- Medicine
Original post by Jvug2321
I wanna apply for medicine 2022 entry can you guys just give me a realistic image about my application please:
- GCSE : 9999999888
- Independent school
- Medicine

My eyes are not brilliant but I think I counted 10 x 8/9s there. That's good enough. However the grades are just a starting point.

Here is a chapter I wrote for an TSR online book called Oxford Demystified. It tells the story of how my son got into Oxford medicine

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019726

Here is my son's chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6044384

And an offer holder's chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6616982&p=90128126#post90128126

The question is, are you also prepared to go through all that hard work? It's a rollercoaster, but as my son says, that will not put off someone who is really serious about Oxford medicine.
Original post by oh.ME.DEA
Hey Courtney. Which Oriental Studies option do you think that you might apply for?

Hi @oh.ME.DEA definitely Chinese !
Hi, my name is Claudia and I’m looking at applying to Oxford in 2022 too!

I’m looking at applying for biochemistry.

I don’t mind which college at the moment however I like the look of St Edmunds Hall.

I’m currently taking A levels in biology, chemistry and maths and I’m also doing an EPQ.

I don’t have any additional qualifications at the moment but hopefully my college will be doing the Cambridge chemistry challenge again this year and the chemistry olympiad next year (they do them every year but I don’t know what the situation will be this time around.)

Predicted A level grades - I haven’t been given any but based off of my portal results (portal is a website we use to track our progress, and it gives you an average grade based on all your test scores) I would say A*A*A although my tutor wants me to aim for 3 A*s. I’m also aiming for an A/A* in my EPQ.

Achieved GCSE grades - 9999999998 (and a C in OCR’s FSMQ additional maths - which was pretty similar to the first year maths I’m currently doing). For reference I went to a deprived state school with a high rate of FSM and rather low results.

Why Oxford?: Why not? The biochemistry course looks really broad yet in depth which will provide a great grounding for a research career. Also, statistics say that 50% of graduates go on to pursue a PhD which is my plan.

Why that college?: I like the name “teddy hall” (idk why 😂) although that’s subject to change when I actually look around the place.

I currently go to a state sixth form college. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Claudiarose4
Hi, my name is Claudia and I’m looking at applying to Oxford in 2022 too!

I’m looking at applying for biochemistry.

I don’t mind which college at the moment however I like the look of St Edmunds Hall.

I’m currently taking A levels in biology, chemistry and maths and I’m also doing an EPQ.

I don’t have any additional qualifications at the moment but hopefully my college will be doing the Cambridge chemistry challenge again this year and the chemistry olympiad next year (they do them every year but I don’t know what the situation will be this time around.)

Predicted A level grades - I haven’t been given any but based off of my portal results (portal is a website we use to track our progress, and it gives you an average grade based on all your test scores) I would say A*A*A although my tutor wants me to aim for 3 A*s. I’m also aiming for an A/A* in my EPQ.

Achieved GCSE grades - 9999999998 (and a C in OCR’s FSMQ additional maths - which was pretty similar to the first year maths I’m currently doing). For reference I went to a deprived state school with a high rate of FSM and rather low results.

Why Oxford?: Why not? The biochemistry course looks really broad yet in depth which will provide a great grounding for a research career. Also, statistics say that 50% of graduates go on to pursue a PhD which is my plan.

Why that college?: I like the name “teddy hall” (idk why 😂) although that’s subject to change when I actually look around the place.

I currently go to a state sixth form college. :smile:

I once knew someone who worked in the accounts department of Teddy Hall. It's a bit of a sad story, though.

Here is a little tour of Teddy Hall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUr42lTOqx0
Original post by Oxford Mum
I once knew someone who worked in the accounts department of Teddy Hall. It's a bit of a sad story, though.

Here is a little tour of Teddy Hall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUr42lTOqx0

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the story?
Original post by Claudiarose4
If you don’t mind me asking, what was the story?

I went on a cruise round Norway in 2014. I was doing quizzes on my own, and didn't know where my kids were. Turns out they were in the ballroom, dancing with a rather charming, beautiful lady. It turns out she worked in the accounts department of Teddy Hall. The elder one was already studying at Oxford, and younger son wanted to apply for medicine.

We were very sorry to part when the cruise was over. We emailed each other, but she was so popular and busy, I thought with a sinking heart that we would never get to see her.

She was telling me about working at the Oxford Playhouse as an usherette at weekends, and getting a new kitchen fitted.

Then her sister emailed me to drop a bombshell. She had been diagnosed with a brain tumour. We did get to meet her, travelling to her home several times and finally, in Churchill hospital.

A year later she died.

I have still kept the slip of paper, when she wrote down her name and contact details, in my purse.

She really believed younger son would get in and she would be very proud if she could see him now.

She was so popular, some of the homesick international students would travel to her house in the holidays to see her.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I went on a cruise round Norway in 2014. I was doing quizzes on my own, and didn't know where my kids were. Turns out they were in the ballroom, dancing with a rather charming, beautiful lady. It turns out she worked in the accounts department of Teddy Hall. The elder one was already studying at Oxford, and younger son wanted to apply for medicine.

We were very sorry to part when the cruise was over. We emailed each other, but she was so popular and busy, I thought with a sinking heart that we would never get to see her.

She was telling me about working at the Oxford Playhouse as an usherette at weekends, and getting a new kitchen fitted.

Then her sister emailed me to drop a bombshell. She had been diagnosed with a brain tumour. We did get to meet her, travelling to her home several times and finally, in Churchill hospital.

A year later she died.

I have still kept the slip of paper, when she wrote down her name and contact details, in my purse.

She really believed younger son would get in and she would be very proud if she could see him now.

She was so popular, some of the homesick international students would travel to her house in the holidays to see her.

Wow that’s awful :frown: She sounded like a wonderful lady.

Latest

Trending

Trending