The Student Room Group

Cambridge Interview Fails

I've just been through the disastrous interviews, came out feeling extremely down, then I came across this video about Cambridge interview fails (https://youtu.be/aYk14pGWARI). I feel slightly better, but it made me want more.

Sooo if you're in Cambridge, or you're a Cambridge applicant, and you don't mind sharing your awkward moments during the interviews, please by all means embarrass yourself so people like me can be free of the post-interview syndrome and still cling on the last straw of hope of getting into Cambridge.

(Please do not go into full details about the interviews )
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucas__
I've just been through the disastrous interviews, came out feeling extremely down, then I came across this video about Cambridge interview fails (https://youtu.be/aYk14pGWARI). I feel slightly better, but it made me want more.

Sooo if you're in Cambridge, or you're a Cambridge applicant, and you don't mind sharing your awkward moments during the interviews, please by all means embarrass yourself so people like me can be free of the post-interview syndrome and still cling on the last straw of hope of getting into Cambridge.

A while back @Doones compiled a spreadsheet that showed the correlation between a candidates perception of how well their interview went and offers received. The main conclusion was that candidates are really poor at assessing how well their interviews actually went.
Reply 2
Original post by dking2001
A while back @Doones compiled a spreadsheet that showed the correlation between a candidates perception of how well their interview went and offers received. The main conclusion was that candidates are really poor at assessing how well their interviews actually went.

Yup I've read the data before, it makes sense completely, but I can't help but to feel 'I could have done better' that kind of guilty. My brain just snapped and I blurted some basic facts that were wrong completely and I didn't take that back soon enough :frown:. Now looking back , it was somewhat hilarious though haha
Reply 4
Original post by Lucas__
Yup I've read the data before, it makes sense completely, but I can't help but to feel 'I could have done better' that kind of guilty. My brain just snapped and I blurted some basic facts that were wrong completely and I didn't take that back soon enough :frown:. Now looking back , it was somewhat hilarious though haha

have you got the spreadsheet? EDIT: don't worry i found it!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
--
(edited 3 years ago)
I had my first interview with the Director of Studies, and he seems very serious so I was trying to crack a joke to ease up the seriousness a bit and make him smile but to no avail. ;(
At some point, there was a question that I felt like I was blabbering too much but I am going to try and remain as positive as I can be. *Fingers cross*.
Reply 7
Original post by iamblessingk
I had my first interview with the Director of Studies, and he seems very serious so I was trying to crack a joke to ease up the seriousness a bit and make him smile but to no avail. ;(
At some point, there was a question that I felt like I was blabbering too much but I am going to try and remain as positive as I can be. *Fingers cross*.

not to worry you but never crack jokes in interviews lol
Reply 8
Original post by edaram
not to worry you but never crack jokes in interviews lol

My interviewer laughed at mine but it was related to the extract. Might have been laughing at my stupidity but we move.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ray3RE
My interviewer laughed it mine but it was related to the extract. Might have been laughing at my stupidity but we move.

loll
I made it seem like I thought interest rates were set by the UK Government and not the Bank of England in an interview for Economics.

But I also didn't get in so...
Reply 11
Original post by someenglishguy
I made it seem like I thought interest rates were set by the UK Government and not the Bank of England in an interview for Economics.

But I also didn't get in so...

They are all the same, you are just woke to the conspiracy.
I am confident my interview was not very good to say the least, don't worry. Well, compared to me at least.

On the bright side the vast majority of us will be rejected, so when it happens, or if it happens, at least we won't be alone.

I am very relieved I made it to the interview in the first place. Was not feeling very good about my admissions test.

I'm just so anxious to see when they release decisions. I'm not sure I have any hope left, just want to get it over with.

(Does anybody know? January 10th I've heard, but that was for previous years... any advice would be appreciated.)
Original post by iamblessingk

Don't worry, I also tried to crack a few jokes with mine (who were a little more receptive than yours, by the sound of it!), good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Jroom144
I am confident my interview was not very good to say the least, don't worry. Well, compared to me at least.

On the bright side the vast majority of us will be rejected, so when it happens, or if it happens, at least we won't be alone.

I am very relieved I made it to the interview in the first place. Was not feeling very good about my admissions test.

I'm just so anxious to see when they release decisions. I'm not sure I have any hope left, just want to get it over with.

(Does anybody know? January 10th I've heard, but that was for previous years... any advice would be appreciated.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe+nn+do+cambridge+decisions+come+out&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB931GB931&oq=whe+nn+do+cambridge+decisions+come+out&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l2j69i60j69i65l2j69i60l2.21447j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It says 25th of January but also 'to be decided' so it might not be a certain date yet.

My College has confirmed all applicants will hear by 5:00pm January 25th :smile:
Got it. I didn't apply to that college, so I guess hoping it will be more or less similar across the whole University. Thank you both for the informative replies.
Reply 17
Original post by Lucas__

😭😭😭😭 I just did mine for law today and.... I'm sobbing. They were trying so hard to help direct me but I just couldn't understand what the point was and they just left it... this happened not once, not twice but probably lots of times 🫠
All the practice I did with thinking about pros and cons and evaluating questions couldn't be applied in these unseen situations, I barely comprehended the situations themselves. 🧑*🦯 I stuttered because of how awful I was doing and I knew it, boy did I know it. I just didn't know how to rectify it. 🫠We finished the interview and they seemed to give off the vibes that I was a lost cause. They were like, anymore questions Interviewer 2? No, nope. Ok well thank you for coming!

😭 Patiently awaiting my rejection email in January.

I know a lot of people say that people think they did badly but actually did good, I know that this is not the case for me. My heart was cracking within the interview because of just how awfully I was proceeding. I was also trembling... like my legs were full on seizure type of shaking 🤧

This experience made me feel so dumb and robotic like. It's like I can't even get the most basic concepts... how did I even make it this far😭 I feel so worthless and useless rn because I can't seem to do anything right.

Best of luck to those who have interviews in the coming days. You'll smash it dw! I'm sure no one will do as disgustingly as I did 🫂
Original post by Coeoe
😭😭😭😭 I just did mine for law today and.... I'm sobbing. They were trying so hard to help direct me but I just couldn't understand what the point was and they just left it... this happened not once, not twice but probably lots of times 🫠
All the practice I did with thinking about pros and cons and evaluating questions couldn't be applied in these unseen situations, I barely comprehended the situations themselves. 🧑*🦯 I stuttered because of how awful I was doing and I knew it, boy did I know it. I just didn't know how to rectify it. 🫠We finished the interview and they seemed to give off the vibes that I was a lost cause. They were like, anymore questions Interviewer 2? No, nope. Ok well thank you for coming!

😭 Patiently awaiting my rejection email in January.

I know a lot of people say that people think they did badly but actually did good, I know that this is not the case for me. My heart was cracking within the interview because of just how awfully I was proceeding. I was also trembling... like my legs were full on seizure type of shaking 🤧

This experience made me feel so dumb and robotic like. It's like I can't even get the most basic concepts... how did I even make it this far😭 I feel so worthless and useless rn because I can't seem to do anything right.

Best of luck to those who have interviews in the coming days. You'll smash it dw! I'm sure no one will do as disgustingly as I did 🫂

I feel the exact same!!!! My interviewers had to prompt me again and again and again.. it was horrible. I'm just trying to put it behind me now and focus on a levels
Reply 19
Original post by marimalaria
I feel the exact same!!!! My interviewers had to prompt me again and again and again.. it was horrible. I'm just trying to put it behind me now and focus on a levels

Aaaa 😭 I'm glad I can relate to someone. I'm so sorry though, I'm sure you still did great! Perhaps they were pushing you to see your limits 🤧 They were trying to help me but I just couldn't grasp it haha.
I'm super proud of you and how you still got this far and ploughed through it!
Best of luck with your A-levels!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending