The Student Room Group

I am 17 years old, and I would like to increase my muscle mass. What can I do?

I have searched the internet but you never understand anything about it... especially because it’s full of contrasting opinions. Any tips? Thanks
What’s hard to understand about eating breakfast,eating protein and whole foods,working out or doing exercises,drinking water and eating healthy?
Have you tried taking protein shakes cause they help a lot. Also if you go to the gym do very limited amount of aerobic exercise like running long distances cause itll waste energy. If you focus on heavy weights then youre more likely to gain muscle coz high intensity is more challenging for muscles
Original post by Luke_s.23
I have searched the internet but you never understand anything about it... especially because it’s full of contrasting opinions. Any tips? Thanks

Just go regularly to the gym ( or while there is corona do some work out at home).
I recommend doing the three most effective exercises regularly (!) SQUAD, DEADLIFT and BENCH PRESS. Make a Plan for a Cycle of 6 weeks an example: week one you start with Squad 20kg, deadlift 30kg and Bench 20kg each 5 reps and 5 sets. Next week you add 2,5 kg and so on and in the end of the 6 week cycle you do a max out. You do a warm up (NEVER SKIP THE WARM UP) and than for every round you add 2,5 kg to your set and you only do one rep and you see how far you can go. The next Cyle of 6 weeks you start with 22,5 kg and repeat.
Muscles dont grow over night it needs time and consistency. And you have to eat very clean and well! Loads of vegetables and proteins (Tofu, Chicken etc) Protein Shakes are pure ******** and not healthy!
Any weight 4 x 12 reps
Original post by jackmarshal757
Any weight 4 x 12 reps

Not any weight, it has to be heavy enough that you can’t do more than 12, 3 sets will also suffice.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Not any weight, it has to be heavy enough that you can’t do more than 12, 3 sets will also suffice.

I meant any type of weight exercise
I meant any type of weight exercise

Even so, 3 sets is enough.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing

I normally do 4
I normally do 4

Reply 10
Original post by 𝔻𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕝𝕒𝕙𝕙𝕙
What’s hard to understand about eating breakfast,eating protein and whole foods,working out or doing exercises,drinking water and eating healthy?

dude, wtf, i didn’t insult your mother or things like that. Some people are too stressed nowadays
(edited 3 years ago)
You workout, surprising right? Then, you eat in a caloric surplus - 200 to 400 above maintenance calories should suffice. Progressive overload is key as well. Also, you rest.
Follow a proper program too not just 3 sets for 12 reps like people above are saying. How many days a week can u go to the gym?
How could you be confused? Eat more, lift weights? In fact, you don't really even have to eat more but it'll help a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest