The Student Room Group

Do As subjects matter that much?

Do As subjects matter that much for medicine?

I'm currently doing physics but I want to swap because I'm not getting on as well as I should be in it.

If I changed to RS instead would that be valued as highly as physics?

I don't want to do maths, history or a language.

I'm worried that Religious Studies isn't really as academic but I think it would be good because of certain things we learn like euthanasia, etc it would relate to med.

I'm taking english lit, bio and chem to A2.

Scroll to see replies

Jinxy
Do As subjects matter that much for medicine?

I'm currently doing physics but I want to swap because I'm not getting on as well as I should be in it.

If I changed to RS instead would that be valued as highly as physics?

I don't want to do maths, history or a language.

I'm worried that Religious Studies isn't really as academic but I think it would be good because of certain things we learn like euthanasia, etc it would relate to med.

I'm taking english lit, bio and chem to A2.

Well don't ask me! I don't know.
Reply 2
RamocitoMorales
Well don't ask me! I don't know.

You don't know much do you?

Anyway, what other subjects you doing OP?

I reccommend you consider maths actually, if you've got at least an A at GCSE you'll fly to an A, if I base it on mose people in my maths class (at an average school)
I think you should be ok but religious studies isn't as well respected. Maths, like someone said, may be a good idea!
Reply 4
Snobpence17

I reccommend you consider maths actually, if you've got at least an A at GCSE you'll fly to an A, if I base it on mose people in my maths class (at an average school)

Hi i said above im doing english lit, bio, chem and at the mo physics but i want to change physics.

maths is one thing i dont want to take i'd rather take RS or something more essay based i didnt do history at gcse so cant apply to do it at sixth form
Reply 5
Snobpence17

You won't 'fly to an A' in Maths with an A at GCSE. You will need an A* in my opinion or a high B or A in additional Maths (if you did that).
Reply 6
Merlinedge
You won't 'fly to an A' in Maths with an A at GCSE. You will need an A* in my opinion or a high B or A in additional Maths (if you did that).

Most people with A or A* are getting easy A's now in A-level, even one guy with a B at intermediate. But yeah, the minority who slack aren't getting great results, the OP just seems like someone who will work for an A, which doesn't take that much in maths as it does in other subjects, especially physics or RS!.

I think it depends what you're applying for OP, if you're going for Law, then do the essay subject, then you'll have a good variety. If you're going for medicine, or want to keep the science door more open. Think of maths.

Physics is much, much harder than maths OP, in the latter you'll only have to do questions and past papers to get an A in it. Chemistry, now that's the bugger!
as long as you don't take media studies, then you're fine :rolleyes:
Reply 8
DrDomDom
Is it religious studies or philosophy and ethics?

Personally, I think Philosophy and Ethics would be a really good addition to your resumé - you would be able to say that you've explore ethical dilemmas like you would in medicine etc - also, thus far, the people who have done it in my year are finding the 3rd section of the BMAT much simpler as they are arguments that they have discussed before.

It's sadly not philosophy and ethics, it's religious studies but there's a section on the course that argues about things such as abortion, medicine and religious beliefs and also euthanasia.

do you think i would be disadvantaged to do RS instead of Physics because physics is harder and more mathsy or does it matter more than I get a good grade. I'm more likely to get an A in RS than physics...I'm just not sure if it's classed as academic. because then i'd only be doing two sciences, bio and chem and then english lit and RS?...
Reply 9
DrDomDom
Well, if youre not applying to anywhere that specifies that they want three sciences, i.e cambridge etc, then you will be fine. As far as I know, RS is an academic subject, and with your other three A-levels being academic, you dont have much to worry about if youre taking RS anyway. Would you be continuing on with it to A-level too?

Either way, if you intend to do the BMAT in a years time, I maintain that it would help you - RS is largely debating from what I know, which would do you good in the writing section of it.

I'm not considering applying to anywhere that wants 3 sciences. and I'd probably take english lit, bio and chem to A2 instead of RS to A2 because i feel english lit is more 'respected' and will look better than RS :smile:
Reply 10
R.S is brilliant, I think you'll enjoy it, it is also respected.
Reply 11
DrDomDom
As long as you can get a B or better in RS then, I would say go for it 100%.

Getting a A/B in RS and enjoying the course will benefit you much more than a course you dont like, and perhaps wont do so well in because of that. You still have 3 very academic subjects behind you too...

thank you, what subjects are you doing? :smile: :smile:
Reply 12
DrDomDom
Got my AS in French this year, and at A2 Im carrying on with biology chemistry and maths.

French gives me some variety in my academia, though not like RS/ English lit would, but its better than just all the sciences + maths.

Do you know many people applying with just bio and chem as their sciences? i cant help but worry i'll be disadvantaged for having only two sciences...
Are you able to do Philosophy, Classics or Art History?

They are highly respected and will help you stand out on your application.

Otherwise RS would be fine :smile:
Reply 14
DrDomDom
I know two girls last year who applied to manchester and leeds respectively with only biology and chemistry, and both got in. Really, you'll be fine with just the two - most places just demand the third A-leve to be a "rigorous one", which you have. The only exceptions are cambridge and durham I think.

thank you i gave you some rep for all your help :smile:
Reply 15
DrDomDom
Why thankya.

Keep me updated with how the A-levels go *thumbs up*

thanks a lot and best of luck to you getting into uni :smile:

mind if i add you to my friends list? :p:
Castelbajac
Are you able to do Philosophy, Classics or Art History?

They are highly respected and will help you stand out on your application.

Otherwise RS would be fine :smile:

I believe RS is respected a lot more than Philosophy is. Well, especially at As/A2 level. The top universities regard RS as an academic subject and I believe Philosophy is black-listed.

But as a fourth As subject it doesn't really matter what you take.
Welsh_insomniac
I believe RS is respected a lot more than Philosophy is. Well, especially at As/A2 level. The top universities regard RS as an academic subject and I believe Philosophy is black-listed.

But as a fourth As subject it doesn't really matter what you take.

Sorry, but that's the biggest load of **** I've ever heard.

Maybe you should actually read the blacklists before you make ridiculous statements like that.

Philosophy is more respected than RS, albeit only slightly.
i know a no of ppl who did rs religious studies and got into med.
Reply 19
No Future
i know a no of ppl who did rs religious studies and got into med.

do you think that was solely down to the fact that they took RS?

Latest

Trending

Trending