The Student Room Group

Did your school make you do an ebacc for gcse?

Poll

Do you think the ebacc should be scrapped?

Apparently its not an actual qualification

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nikkiblonsky

I'm in year 10 and my school is making us do EBACC and 2 other options. For some reason they also made RE compulsory for me.
Original post by radbhak
I'm in year 10 and my school is making us do EBACC and 2 other options. For some reason they also made RE compulsory for me.

what?? exactly the same as me wtf
Reply 3
what?? exactly the same as me wtf

Ikr, i wish i got to choose differently because instead of RE i would've preferred Drama or Music
Original post by radbhak
Ikr, i wish i got to choose differently because instead of RE i would've preferred Drama or Music

ugh I chose the worst subjects fr, they're so boring ic with them
Reply 5
ugh I chose the worst subjects fr, they're so boring ic with them

Oof I chose Triple Science and Computer Science, I'm happy with language and geography but not RE

It isn't a qualification - it only benefits your school.

Many schools mistakenly make students choose subjects they do not want to do just to fit Ebacc - creative subjects like Music and Graphics are suffering as a consequence.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79

Many schools mistakenly make students choose subjects they do not want to do just to fit Ebacc - creative subjects like Music and Graphics are suffering as a consequence.

Yeah i wish i could've done Music, is it still possible for A-Level?
Original post by radbhak
Oof I chose Triple Science and Computer Science, I'm happy with language and geography but not RE

same,but I did history

awww damn that sucks, music and graphics are such a=fun subjects as well
Original post by radbhak
Yeah i wish i could've done Music, is it still possible for A-Level?

You'll have to check with your own school - in mine, if you play at grade 6 and are in school music groups then you can take A level.
My school made our yr do rs which just doesnt seem fair if they're already ripping away two of our choices with ebacc
so im assuming its common for schools to make students do the ebacc?

Yea i think something similar almost happened to me :smile:
I didn't think I did ebacc (back in 2015) at first but thinking back my school were a bit annoyed I wanted to do Food Tech, graphics and history, they wanted me to take geography :colondollar: luckily they let me do the latter though because the timetabling allowed it :iiam:
Original post by Chronoscope
I didn't think I did ebacc (back in 2015) at first but thinking back my school were a bit annoyed I wanted to do Food Tech, graphics and history, they wanted me to take geography :colondollar: luckily they let me do the latter though because the timetabling allowed it :iiam:

did u do a language??
Original post by Chronoscope
Yea i think something similar almost happened to me :smile:

The Ebacc was invented in August 2010 by Michael Gove ... I'm pleased you were able to chose what you wanted :smile:

so some schools care more about their own benefit then what students want to pursue?
My daughter was recommended to take the EBacc route but she decided not to as they made a language compulsory so she dropped EBacc. Best decision she made, secured four 9s and three 8s. Just received four offers so far from four universities and waiting for answer from the fifth one. EBacc makes no difference whatsoever and you should be given the choice if you are selected for EBacc. You don’t have to take it.
Original post by Kelivesy
My daughter was recommended to take the EBacc route but she decided not to as they made a language compulsory so she dropped EBacc. Best decision she made, secured four 9s and three 8s. Just received four offers so far from four universities and waiting for answer from the fifth one. EBacc makes no difference whatsoever and you should be given the choice if you are selected for EBacc. You don’t have to take it.

wow thats amazing,and yh it sucks some schools want students to do ebacc so they force them
Original post by Kelivesy

It's a measure for the SCHOOL - there is no certificate for the Ebacc and universties don't care about it.

Quick Reply

Latest