The Student Room Group

Student Loan on Dependent Visa Eligibility

Hi! I just want to double check and clarify if I would be eligible for student loan for September 2021. I currently hold a dependent visa. I was declined last year as I haven’t lived in the UK 3 years prior my course. As for this coming academic year. I will have the 3 years but I am still on my dependent visa. When I was a kid I have lived in the Uk for 4 years before but I don’t think that counts since it wasn’t prior my course. Anyhow, my dad is a british citizen. I’m from a non-eu country. I just want to know if I would be eligible for this coming year or not again as I am unclear whether I was declined because I haven’t lived here for 3 years or because I’m on a dependent visa or both. I took a gap year instead but plan to study A level courses again until I get my ILR if I unfortunately won’t get student loan this year. Just want to be prepared as for last year, I would have studied another A level course but it was too late to get a place as the course was full. Thank you

Also, I deferred my course from last year to this year and I was classified with home student fees by a russell group university. I don’t know if that counts but I guess it’s still with the student finance hands and decisions as I and my family can’t afford paying my fees
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Angeli14
Hi! I just want to double check and clarify if I would be eligible for student loan for September 2021. I currently hold a dependent visa. I was declined last year as I haven’t lived in the UK 3 years prior my course. As for this coming academic year. I will have the 3 years but I am still on my dependent visa. When I was a kid I have lived in the Uk for 4 years before but I don’t think that counts since it wasn’t prior my course. Anyhow, my dad is a british citizen. I’m from a non-eu country. I just want to know if I would be eligible for this coming year or not again as I am unclear whether I was declined because I haven’t lived here for 3 years or because I’m on a dependent visa or both. I took a gap year instead but plan to study A level courses again until I get my ILR if I unfortunately won’t get student loan this year. Just want to be prepared as for last year, I would have studied another A level course but it was too late to get a place as the course was full. Thank you

Also, I deferred my course from last year to this year and I was classified with home student fees by a russell group university. I don’t know if that counts but I guess it’s still with the student finance hands and decisions as I and my family can’t afford paying my fees

Hi, based on the new regulations if you have 3 years residency in the UK/ 3 years of valid status and you are under the age of 21 then you should send in your birth certificate, your ID and your dads ID.

I advise you to apply as soon as the application launches by next month and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, based on the new regulations if you have 3 years residency in the UK/ 3 years of valid status and you are under the age of 21 then you should send in your birth certificate, your ID and your dads ID.

I advise you to apply as soon as the application launches by next month and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, I just turned 21 last month does that mean I won’t be eligible? But hopefully my brother will be since he’s only 19. Thank you and we will try again and apply but will also be ready to take study A levels / look for work experience again incase we won’t be able to get student loan because last year, it was last minute and student finance only gave a decision for mine around end of july or august. Also, I have another question. We will extend our family visa by april and decisions can take up to 3 months. Will I be able to still apply for student finance even after the deadline date since I need to have my residence permit or can I apply with my current visa due to expire in april and provide proof of renewal if that makes sense and follow up the new permit once I’ve received it? Thank you for your help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Angeli14
Hi, I just turned 21 last month does that mean I won’t be eligible? But hopefully my brother will be since he’s only 19. Thank you and we will try again and apply but will also be ready to take study A levels / look for work experience again incase we won’t be able to get student loan because last year, it was last minute and student finance only gave a decision for mine around end of july or august. Also, I have another question. We will extend our family visa by april and decisions can take up to 3 months. Will I be able to still apply for student finance even after the deadline date since I need to have my residence permit or can I apply with my current visa due to expire in april and provide proof of renewal if that makes sense and follow up the new permit once I’ve received it? Thank you for your help.

If you are aged 21 or over then we don't class you as a child so you would need to prove you are physically or financially dependent on the parent.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Hi, I currently live with my stepmom who is a British citizen and my dad has an indefinite Live to remain but they are not married. I have a dependent visa but I'm turning 18 this month. I've lived in the UK for more than three years now but I don't know if I'll be qualified for a student loan since I don't yet have an indefinite leave to remain. My course is starting on the first of September but my current visa will expire in October.
Original post by Collar
Hi, I currently live with my stepmom who is a British citizen and my dad has an indefinite Live to remain but they are not married. I have a dependent visa but I'm turning 18 this month. I've lived in the UK for more than three years now but I don't know if I'll be qualified for a student loan since I don't yet have an indefinite leave to remain. My course is starting on the first of September but my current visa will expire in October.

Hi there, You would need to submit an application for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending