The Student Room Group

Which Uni: Newcastle (4yr), St George's (4yr) or QMUL (5yr)

I am trying to decide my fourth and final choice.. and am stuck between the above three.

I am applying as a Graduate with only Chem AS level and my first degree was in Law.. so I am very limited as to where I can apply.

I have thought not Newcastle, because they use a cut-off for the UKCAT and as I only got 580.. doesn't seem like I will meet this cut-off.

Same reason as why I have not thought QMUL.. as they also use a cut-off score for the UKCAT.

Now St George use a cut-off for GAMSAT.. and I am sure that I did absoulutely terrible on the Science paper, probably OK on the other two.. but I really do not think I will be able to reach this cut-off!!

So it almost seems like a lose-lose situation! My only other consideraton is Southampton.. but I had previously discounted this because of the fact that they do not Interview, as I felt I would have to have an absolutely fantastic PS and UKCAT score.. rather than a good one, which would be enough for interview.

So basically I am very confused.. almost seems like a wasted fourth choice.. anybody got any ideas/opinions?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
BL 5 years cut off for the last 2 years has been over 580 (2007: 600, 2008: 620), so it might be a gamble...
Reply 2
what are your other 3 choices? this would help us a lot.

To my knowledge the only schools that take grads with law are:

Kings, Keele, Newcastle, Nottingham, St Georges, Southampton and Swansea.

Really you would be better suited to a 5 year course. You will struggle no-end on a 4 year and although you may relish the challenge and you may be quite capable of doing it, I would impress upon you from my own experiences just how difficult it will be.

I would go for 2 four year and 2 five year courses and get your 4th choice for a 5 year that doesnt use the GAMSAT.
Reply 3
Fluffy
BL 5 years cut off for the last 2 years has been over 580 (2007: 600, 2008: 620), so it might be a gamble...

Yeh that is what I thought. Can I ask how you know this though? I have called up and only been told that they haven't interviewed anyone under 600 and haven't been able to find specific figures in any of their publications etc.
Reply 4
airtones
what are your other 3 choices? this would help us a lot.

To my knowledge the only schools that take grads with law are:

Kings, Keele, Newcastle, Nottingham, St Georges, Southampton and Swansea.

Really you would be better suited to a 5 year course. You will struggle no-end on a 4 year and although you may relish the challenge and you may be quite capable of doing it, I would impress upon you from my own experiences just how difficult it will be.

I would go for 2 four year and 2 five year courses and get your 4th choice for a 5 year that doesnt use the GAMSAT.

My other three choices are: Kings (4yr), Swansea (4yr) and Cardiff (5yr). Yes that is correct - those are the only four yr courses I would be eligible to apply to.

To be honest, I am quite undecided whether I would be more suited for a 4yr or a 5yr. Although I have done a law degree, my A-Levels were quite orientated for Medicine.. so I do think I am capable (I did Maths, Bio and Eng Lit and then Chem A Level) and of course there is the funding issue with the 4yr courses, which is quite important. I appreciate that it would be very hard though.

So based on my other three choices, you would apply as my fourth choice to a 5yr course that doesn't use GAMSAT? So that would be either QMUL, or Newcastle. I am just not sure it is worth the gamble with the cut-off.. as I already know I probably won't meet it. Although there is still chance with the GAMSAT (however, small that may be!)

Thanks for the advice though.
Reply 5
lovelyjubbly

and of course there is the funding issue with the 4yr courses, which is quite important. I appreciate that it would be very hard though.

Funding issue with the 4 year? If anything the 4 year is a lot cheaper than doing the 5 year after a previous degree.

4 year= you pay first year, you get a loan first year, years 2-4 are paid for by NHS and you get a bursary.

5 year= after already having a bachelors degree you will not get ANY student loan or ANY help with tuition fees from Student Loans, as you already had a loan from your first degree. Think NHS still pay your 5th year fees though.
Reply 6
snail_87
Funding issue with the 4 year? If anything the 4 year is a lot cheaper than doing the 5 year after a previous degree.

4 year= you pay first year, you get a loan first year, years 2-4 are paid for by NHS and you get a bursary.

5 year= after already having a bachelors degree you will not get ANY student loan or ANY help with tuition fees from Student Loans, as you already had a loan from your first degree. Think NHS still pay your 5th year fees though.

Sorry I realised that didn't make sense after I'd posted.. I meant that the 4 yr will be much cheaper and so that is a reason for doing the four year over a five year course.. my mistake!
Reply 7
lovelyjubbly
Sorry I realised that didn't make sense after I'd posted.. I meant that the 4 yr will be much cheaper and so that is a reason for doing the four year over a five year course.. my mistake!

Ahh, fair do's :smile:
Reply 8
Fluffy

although i didn't get in after interview, i had an interview with bl 5 year course last year in january with 602.5 ukcat, so i don't think the ukcat cut off is as high as 620.
Reply 9
lovelyjubbly
Yeh that is what I thought. Can I ask how you know this though? I have called up and only been told that they haven't interviewed anyone under 600 and haven't been able to find specific figures in any of their publications etc.

I interviewed in 2007 so know it was definitely 600, and the 2008 was a rumour I've heard fairly consistently...
Reply 10
Fluffy
I interviewed in 2007 so know it was definitely 600, and the 2008 was a rumour I've heard fairly consistently...

Oh right OK thank you.. Still doesn't seem to agree with what the person said above, but Oh well..

Latest

Trending

Trending