The Student Room Group

Thinking Ahead!

Hello, I am Phil and am from Fleet in Hampshire.

I have for a while had my heart set on a career in medicine: notably neurosurgery.

As I am pre-A level I have a lot of time to think about it. I just have a few questions about training and other stuff.

1. If I wish to follow this career I would aspire to go to Cambridge University: Is this possible if I am achieving A grades at GCSE? (Is A at A-level a huge step?)

2. What is it like to train in highly ranked medical universities?

3. How much are tuition and accommodation fees in Cambridge or London? How do you pay the student loan off during the course?

4. What qualities (soft skills) do I need to excel in the course?

5. Are you overloaded with work during the entire course (incl. holidays)?

Thanks in advance,
go on the cambridge webpage and have a read you lazy person , all your questions can be answered there
1. Good on you for setting your ambitions high. From what I've seen, most people who get into Cambridge for Medicine have a string of mainly As and A*s at GCSE, followed by mainly As at AS Level and A Level.

2. No medical school is better than the another one. They all offer degrees which are accredited by the GMC.

3. Tuition fees for 2009 entry are £3,149, I think. However, with the uncapped fees coming into place for 2010 entry God knows how high they'll be.

4. Pretty much the same as the skills as you require at A Level, I presume.

5. I don't know, I'm not a medic!

I hope this helps in some way.
Reply 3
sheffield-person
go on the cambridge webpage and have a read you lazy person , all your questions can be answered there

FYI, personal experience of medical courses are more valuable to me than the contents of this post. I have already read the Cambridge webpage.
Syphro
FYI, personal experience of medical courses are more valuable to me than the contents of this post. I have already read the Cambridge webpage.

if you say so

Latest

Trending

Trending