The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Edinburgh or Sussex

Which one is more fun and easier to make friends at? I don’t need insight on any other aspects of the schools. I would just like to know about the student life.
Original post by bratpitt
Which one is more fun and easier to make friends at? I don’t need insight on any other aspects of the schools. I would just like to know about the student life.

Hello, thank you for your question.

As a current student, I would say it is relatively easy to make new friendship connections at Sussex. Firstly, there are numerous opportunities to sign up for clubs & societies (over 250 are currently on offer). See this link for more information: Sussex Uni Clubs & Societies. Also, multiple social events are organised by Student Union throughout the Year (Student Union Social Calendar), allowing plenty of opportunities for meeting and getting to know new people.

Furthermore, Brighton as a city can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse. Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Thus, at Sussex, you can expect to meet a great diversity of people, making it that much easier to keep a busy social life!

In addition, Brighton provides an easy access to busy city centre, beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, meaning it is always easy to find a place to relax either alone, or with other people.

Of course, attending all your lectures/seminars, etc., and getting involved as much as possible, is a good way of make friends.

Lastly, Sussex is highly active on both Facebook and Instagram, helping you to connect with other students, even before you arrive on campus. Myself, I have been, and am a part of quite few different group chats (housing/course-related), which definitely helps me to stay socially active!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best of Luck,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending