The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Anyone applied to Queen Margaret University?

I can’t find anyone else who’s applying there! Anyone want to chat about it or anything? Or let me know if you’ve got an offer, I’m still waiting for a decision. I love the uni so much but there don’t seem to be many people on TSR who have QMU as their first choice. Thanks! 😁

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heyy i’ve applied here to do psychology and sociology :smile: i’ve got an offer, but it’s conditional so it all depends on what grades i get
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
I am a QMU student, I don't mind answering questions about it.

I'm studying occupational therapy and I am in my second year.
Original post by k.b12
heyy i’ve applied here to do psychology and sociology :smile: i’ve got an offer, but it’s conditional so it all depends on what grades i get

Me too!
Anyone have an idea of the timetable for nursing?
Original post by bunnieboo
Anyone have an idea of the timetable for nursing?

I suspect they won't release it until September, they don't release the occupational therapy one until the start of the academic year.
Hi
I got an offer for radiography. What do you think about the allied health courses in QMU? Do you live in hall?
Original post by TammyLam0329
Hi
I got an offer for radiography. What do you think about the allied health courses in QMU? Do you live in hall?

Our allied health course are really good and interesting, we have really good teaching staff.

I already live in Edinburgh so I don't live in halls, but I have friends who do and they like them.

The campus is a good site and its easy to get into Musselburgh or Edinburgh by public transport.
Reply 8
Original post by ladyasprin
Our allied health course are really good and interesting, we have really good teaching staff.

I already live in Edinburgh so I don't live in halls, but I have friends who do and they like them.

The campus is a good site and its easy to get into Musselburgh or Edinburgh by public transport.

I got an offer for MSc Dietetics 🥳 what is the uni like? And where would you recommend for accommodation? Do you think halls is the best place or is there any other areas that are popular for post grad students?
Original post by TammyLam0329
Hi

I’m in my first year of radiography rn at qmu and I love it! The lecturers are so nice and give u loads of support and the facilities are really good. As for halls they are pretty basic but have everything u need the only annoying thing is that qmu is located slightly outside Edinburgh so it’s a bit of a pain getting home from nights out and stuff
Original post by Sm10012
I got an offer for MSc Dietetics 🥳 what is the uni like? And where would you recommend for accommodation? Do you think halls is the best place or is there any other areas that are popular for postgrad students?

I live in Edinburgh so I never considered halls but there is a postgrad/mature students block that some of my classmates have stayed in and they liked them.
There is a lot of rented accommodation in Edinburgh (and Musselburgh), it would mainly be HMO type and its not always easy to find a site with people who would be compatible with you. There are also sites like Unite or iQ that have flats and studios available in Edinburgh.

If staying off-campus I would recommend looking at the bus routes of 30 + 45 (www.lothianbuses.com) as they both go on to campus (currently re-routed due to a vaccine centre and roadworks).

It takes me an hour or so to get to uni using 2 or 3 buses, depends on which route I take, I live in Leith and sometimes it's quicker for me to head to Musselburgh then head back to the uni.

I would say the main choice is whether you want to live surrounded by other students - uni halls/unite/iq
If not then you need to choose between living in a busy capital city or a small town.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.
Reply 11
I live in Edinburgh so I never considered halls but there is a postgrad/mature students block that some of my classmates have stayed in and they liked them.
There is a lot of rented accommodation in Edinburgh (and Musselburgh), it would mainly be HMO type and its not always easy to find a site with people who would be compatible with you. There are also sites like Unite or iQ that have flats and studios available in Edinburgh.

If staying off-campus I would recommend looking at the bus routes of 30 + 45 (www.lothianbuses.com) as they both go on to campus (currently re-routed due to a vaccine centre and roadworks).

It takes me an hour or so to get to uni using 2 or 3 buses, depends on which route I take, I live in Leith and sometimes it's quicker for me to head to Musselburgh then head back to the uni.

I would say the main choice is whether you want to live surrounded by other students - uni halls/unite/iq
If not then you need to choose between living in a busy capital city or a small town.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.

This is so helpful, thank you very much!! 😊
Do you know anything about funding for post grad degrees for allied health courses?
Original post by Sm10012
This is so helpful, thank you very much!! 😊
Do you know anything about funding for post grad degrees for allied health courses?

Not really, I'm doing a BSc - the last BSc cohort, the current first years are doing a combined masters and getting a MOccTher

Sorry to not be able to help more.
Reply 13

Hi :smile:
I got an offer onto the Master of Dietetics.
I've never been to the campus and wondered if you could tell me how you find studying at QMU since you're doing an allied health profession degree too.

Do you like the fact that it's a small uni? Do they have good facilities for the health care courses?
I'm a mature student so will probably get a flat or something in the city with my boyfriend. Do you find travelling into uni every day a problem?
Are there many mature students on your course?

Any help would be great :smile:
Original post by lola54
Hi :smile:
I got an offer onto the Master of Dietetics.
I've never been to the campus and wondered if you could tell me how you find studying at QMU since you're doing an allied health profession degree too.

Do you like the fact that it's a small uni?

Its really nice to know all your tutors and they know you, you aren't just a face in the crowd.

Original post by lola54

Do they have good facilities for the health care courses?
Any help would be great :smile:

I know the facilities for OT, Physio and Nursing and they are really good. We have a studio flat which we can use to learn about different pieces of equipment. Physio has a room with examination beds and space to work and Nursing has a mini ward. I haven't seen any facilities for Dietetics so I don't know fully what rooms you would be using.
There is a really good technical kitchen and a food tasting lab next to it (I'm a food taster so I have been in the lab)

Original post by lola54

I'm a mature student so will probably get a flat or something in the city with my boyfriend. Do you find travelling into uni every day a problem?

I don't mind the journey, I get the bus as I have a student ridacard - Lothian 30 and 45 come on to campus.. There is also the train, Musselburgh station is actually at the university.
Some people choose to live in Musselburgh and some choose to live in Edinburgh. It is possible to get from the centre of Musselburgh to Princes Street in 30/35 mins (route 26 or 44). I live in Leith which is a really nice area of Edinburgh to live in, it has nice parks and access to plenty of supermarkets.
There is a really good service running on to campus all evening and the 30 runs a night bus service.

Just before Xmas 2019, I got the bus on to campus really early and I had great service as always - I had an exam and I was paranoid I would be late so travelled really early, then sat in the library until exam time.

Original post by lola54
Are there many mature students on your course?

There are a few, the cohort is only 33 students and there are 4 who are 30 or over and probably a further 5 or 6 who are mature students but under 30. Some of the years above mine have more mature students than we do, I think in part for our year covid has played a big part as a few of the mature students ended up doing lots of work on their job over lockdown and one was offered a promotion so she decided not to return to uni.

I'm one of the mature students and I think the support we get is great and the tutors like our real-world knowledge when answering questions

We have sports facilities and we have an agreement with the other universities to use their facilities (not too sure of how it works as I'm not an organised sports person). We also have a lot of societies and I believe there is a Dietetics society - if there isn't you could set one up.

I think I have covered all your questions - if you have more please just ask.
Reply 15
Its really nice to know all your tutors and they know you, you aren't just a face in the crowd.

I know the facilities for OT, Physio and Nursing and they are really good. We have a studio flat which we can use to learn about different pieces of equipment. Physio has a room with examination beds and space to work and Nursing has a mini ward. I haven't seen any facilities for Dietetics so I don't know fully what rooms you would be using.
There is a really good technical kitchen and a food tasting lab next to it (I'm a food taster so I have been in the lab)

I don't mind the journey, I get the bus as I have a student ridacard - Lothian 30 and 45 come on to campus.. There is also the train, Musselburgh station is actually at the university.
Some people choose to live in Musselburgh and some choose to live in Edinburgh. It is possible to get from the centre of Musselburgh to Princes Street in 30/35 mins (route 26 or 44). I live in Leith which is a really nice area of Edinburgh to live in, it has nice parks and access to plenty of supermarkets.
There is a really good service running on to campus all evening and the 30 runs a night bus service.

Just before Xmas 2019, I got the bus on to campus really early and I had great service as always - I had an exam and I was paranoid I would be late so travelled really early, then sat in the library until exam time.

There are a few, the cohort is only 33 students and there are 4 who are 30 or over and probably a further 5 or 6 who are mature students but under 30. Some of the years above mine have more mature students than we do, I think in part for our year covid has played a big part as a few of the mature students ended up doing lots of work on their job over lockdown and one was offered a promotion so she decided not to return to uni.

I'm one of the mature students and I think the support we get is great and the tutors like our real-world knowledge when answering questions

We have sports facilities and we have an agreement with the other universities to use their facilities (not too sure of how it works as I'm not an organised sports person). We also have a lot of societies and I believe there is a Dietetics society - if there isn't you could set one up.

I think I have covered all your questions - if you have more please just ask.

Thank you so much for putting so much detail in. It really helps picture what it would be like at the uni!
Yeah, I've heard a bit about the food tasting lab. QMU being such a health care orientated uni I can imagine that the facilities are really good.

I am choosing between QMU and Glasgow Caledonian for dietetics. Glasgow don't do a masters yet but obviously QMU does. It seems that lots of allied health professions are heading in that direction and I'm just not sure if it will make that much of a difference when applying for jobs.
I kind of like the idea of Glasgow and the hustle and bustle of the big city but in reality Edinburgh might be nicer with all the green space and the beach etc.

It's really nice to hear that there are quite a few mature students on your course. I'm 28 so hoping to meet people who are a similar age to me :smile:

Thank you again!
Original post by lola54
Thank you so much for putting so much detail in. It really helps picture what it would be like at the uni!
Yeah, I've heard a bit about the food tasting lab. QMU being such a health care orientated uni I can imagine that the facilities are really good.

I am choosing between QMU and Glasgow Caledonian for dietetics. Glasgow don't do a masters yet but obviously QMU does. It seems that lots of allied health professions are heading in that direction and I'm just not sure if it will make that much of a difference when applying for jobs.
I kind of like the idea of Glasgow and the hustle and bustle of the big city but in reality Edinburgh might be nicer with all the green space and the beach etc.

It's really nice to hear that there are quite a few mature students on your course. I'm 28 so hoping to meet people who are a similar age to me :smile:

Thank you again!

I'm in the last year that didn't have the masters option (BSc 2019 entry, MOccTher 2020 entry) and do think it's odd that all the unis are switching to masters but they aren't the same as an MSc (as its a 4 year pre-reg masters rather than a 2 year pre-reg or a 1 year post-reg) so I don't think there should be too much difference in finding jobs.

Edinburgh is still a big city and it can be very busy at times.

You might find with the society that you end up finding friends in the years above you as well as ones in your year.

ETA - The post-reg MSc is to gain extra knowledge and skills to improve your practice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
That's strange about the fact they aren't the same as a MSc. Does that mean they aren't a full masters when you leave then?
Original post by lola54
That's strange about the fact they aren't the same as a MSc. Does that mean they aren't a full masters when you leave then?

All I know is they aren't an MSc but they are a masters degree. (It appear what I said wasn't fully clear so I will go back and edit my answer)

I think the main thing is they are always considered an undergrad, while an MSc is a post-graduate degree - especially in terms of funding.

And if I choose to do a MSc post-registration (after my BSc pre-reg) I will have done 5 years of study rather than 4 years and I know I would have a lot of control over what I studied in my MSc.

When you go on any clinical placements, do you go by yourself or in pairs

Quick Reply

Latest