The Student Room Group

Official University of Law Postgraduate 2021 Thread!

Hi everyone :smile:

I thought I'd create a thread for offer-holders/applicants for University of Law on the postgraduate courses.

I'm a current third year at Leeds Beckett studying music industries management, offered a place on the MA Law course (SQE 1) at the Manchester campus.

It's currently my top offer so far in terms of the course I want to do to be successful in applying for vac schemes, but I've had other offers from universities for other courses, such as Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Westminster to name a few. Still waiting to hear back from Oxford, but don't think it's likely I will take an offer if there's no funding available.

Would love to hear other ULaw applicants and offer holders!
Original post by Manclass98
Hi everyone :smile:

I thought I'd create a thread for offer-holders/applicants for University of Law on the postgraduate courses.

I'm a current third year at Leeds Beckett studying music industries management, offered a place on the MA Law course (SQE 1) at the Manchester campus.

It's currently my top offer so far in terms of the course I want to do to be successful in applying for vac schemes, but I've had other offers from universities for other courses, such as Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Westminster to name a few. Still waiting to hear back from Oxford, but don't think it's likely I will take an offer if there's no funding available.

Would love to hear other ULaw applicants and offer holders!

Hi!

Thought I would jump on here because I'm a MA Law student with ULaw. Congratulations on your offer! I'm in my second and final year of the part-time online course- which turned out to be handy considering the whole pandemic thing.

I am funded through the Postgraduate loans from Student Finance England.

ULaw has a brilliant Employability Service which can help with the vac schemes. They did wonders for my CV (and I'm not just saying that because I'm an ambassador either). Lots of contacts through ULaw (because all the lecturers have been in the field). I'm sure lots of other uni's have something similar but definitely check them out as they can be key to securing experience (I'm applying to become a barrister).

If you have any questions about ULaw- just shout.

Nic
ULaw student ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi!

Thought I would jump on here because I'm a MA Law student with ULaw. Congratulations on your offer! I'm in my second and final year of the part-time online course- which turned out to be handy considering the whole pandemic thing.

I am funded through the Postgraduate loans from Student Finance England.

ULaw has a brilliant Employability Service which can help with the vac schemes. They did wonders for my CV (and I'm not just saying that because I'm an ambassador either). Lots of contacts through ULaw (because all the lecturers have been in the field). I'm sure lots of other uni's have something similar but definitely check them out as they can be key to securing experience (I'm applying to become a barrister).

If you have any questions about ULaw- just shout.

Nic
ULaw student ambassador

HI Nic!

Thanks for the post :smile: It's great to hear from another MA Law student!

I was going to ask about the SQE route, but I suppose as a part time student already, you may not know too much on it? Or not, but any help will be great! I originally applied for the MA Law on its own, but with the SQE coming into play, I changed my offer to the SQE 1 prep course route instead. However, with applying for TC's and experience, I'm having a difficult time in deciding which route to take. If I were to be successful in obtaining a TC before I accept my offer and start this year, is it possible for the offer to revert back and possibly be changed to a GDL instead?

I hope this makes sense!

:smile:
HI Nic!

I was going to ask about the SQE route, but I suppose as a part time student already, you may not know too much on it? Or not, but any help will be great! I originally applied for the MA Law on its own, but with the SQE coming into play, I changed my offer to the SQE 1 prep course route instead. However, with applying for TC's and experience, I'm having a difficult time in deciding which route to take. If I were to be successful in obtaining a TC before I accept my offer and start this year, is it possible for the offer to revert back and possibly be changed to a GDL instead?

I hope this makes sense!

Yes that makes sense! :smile:

Have you completed an LLB?

Nic
University of Law ambassador
HI Nic!

I hope this makes sense!

I did consider holding off an starting the SQE route as it wasn't available when I started but then decided I was too impatient! :biggrin: But when I was considering it, I found this really useful:

https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/02032021-The-Solicitors-Qualifying-Exam-SQE-everything-we-know-so-far#:~:text=SQE%20stage%20two&text=The%20emphasis%20on%20the%20everyday,solicitor%2C%20not%20a%20trainee%20solicitor.

Nic
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by The University of Law Students
I did consider holding off an starting the SQE route as it wasn't available when I started but then decided I was too impatient! :biggrin: But when I was considering it, I found this really useful:

https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/02032021-The-Solicitors-Qualifying-Exam-SQE-everything-we-know-so-far#:~:text=SQE%20stage%20two&text=The%20emphasis%20on%20the%20everyday,solicitor%2C%20not%20a%20trainee%20solicitor.

If you've done an LLB already (which is why I asked before), you can still choose either route- GDL or SQE but if you haven't got a law degree and you can only go the SQE route.

Nic

Hi Nic,

Thanks again for this! So sorry, I must've completely bypassed this. I do not currently hold an LLB. I'm a third year in music management looking to move into media and entertainment law. It's been a really confusing time understanding what opportunities are on offer for the SQE route. Alas, I've been applying for TC's anyway to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

Thank you!
HI Nic!

I hope this makes sense!

RE. changing courses after an offer- I know you can change the course any time before you accept the offer (I've going onto the Bar Practice Course with ULaw once I'm finished with my MA Law and I was debating as to whether to do just the BPC or the LLM BCP so had asked the same question!). After you have accepted the offer, it becomes a little harder because it all comes down to whether all of the places on the course (that you want to change to) have been taken up or not.

Nic
Hi Nic,

Thanks again for this! So sorry, I must've completely bypassed this. I do not currently hold an LLB. I'm a third year in music management looking to move into media and entertainment law. It's been a really confusing time understanding what opportunities are on offer for the SQE route. Alas, I've been applying for TC's anyway to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

Thank you!

Having a non-law degree won't stop you from doing law- you won't believe how many barristers that I've met who have been in bands before becoming barristers. The different routes are confusing because of the change over but you will definitely need to do the SQE if you wish to practice as either a solicitor or a barrister.

Kudos to you for applying for TCs too. Before I decided to go down the barrister route, I had secured a TC with TLC. It's a hard process. Any firms that you are applying for normally have TC/graduate twitter pages or facebook pages so it's worth checking those out. Don't forget to set up a linkedin profile too as that is great for getting onto the firms' 'online events' at the moment because so many of them have increased those because of the pandemic.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you TC applications!

Nic
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Nic,

Thank you!

Hi Manclass98- I realised that I got into muddle with the SQE route earlier too! But I have found another article that explains:

https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/Features/11022021-GDL-or-SQE-Preparation-course-A-2021-non-law-students-guide-to-choosin

and here is another guide too:

https://www.thelawyerportal.com/free-guides/what-is-a-solicitor/how-to-become-a-solicitor/

As you have a non-law degree, you don't have to do the GDL (conversion course), you can just do the SQE.

And if you want to double-check anything with Ulaw itself, you can use: [email protected]

Hope that helps!

Nic
Hi Nic,

Thank you!

Hi there!

Just thought I would chime in here and hopefully shed some light on your questions. In particular with the SQE, you may find it helpful to look at this link: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/

There is a very helpful graphic on the link which will explain what courses you may have to study to pursue with the SQE route. Please do let us know if you have further questions about this and we will do our best to answer them for you!

Good luck with your applications in the meantime!

Kishan
ULaw Student Ambassador
Reply 10
Hi How long do you have to wait to hear back from ULAW about receiving an offer after the selection process? Do you get a rejection email or is it an offer only email? Thanks
Original post by Leon 1
Hi How long do you have to wait to hear back from ULAW about receiving an offer after the selection process? Do you get a rejection email or is it an offer only email? Thanks

If you mean how long did I want to hear back from them after sending off my application - 4 hours! Worlds quickest application process lol. I don't really know how or why, but I applied late evening around 11pm and woke up to have received an email and text message to say I had been offered a place at approximately 3:30am, with a follow up call around 9:30am. This was was for MA Law Online course, but I switched to the MA Law SQE 1 at the Manchester Campus with no issues at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
If you mean how long did I want to hear back from them after sending off my application - 4 hours! Worlds quickest application process lol. I don't really know how or why, but I applied late evening around 11pm and woke up to have received an email and text message to say I had been offered a place at approximately 3:30am, with a follow up call around 9:30am. This was was for MA Law Online course, but I switched to the MA Law SQE 1 at the Manchester Campus with no issues at all.

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me so quick... I should have been more clear . I meant for the BPC. I submitted the application, then had the interview stage completed. No wondering how long it takes to hear back for a place on the Bar course and if they let you know if you’ve been unsuccessful too ?
Thanks 😊
Original post by Leon 1
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me so quick... I should have been more clear . I meant for the BPC. I submitted the application, then had the interview stage completed. No wondering how long it takes to hear back for a place on the Bar course and if they let you know if you’ve been unsuccessful too ?
Thanks 😊

Ahh okay! I’m not sure as my process was totally different (I just applied using the usual statement/grades, no interview needed) but they will definitely let you know either way!
Original post by Leon 1
Hi

Thanks 😊

Hi Leon,

ULaw should be in contact with you soon to let you know whether you have been successful or not. You can always contact the Admissions team to get an update on your application via email [email protected] or give us a ring at 0800 289 997.

Good luck!

Kerry - ULaw Student Ambassador
Original post by Leon 1
Hi

Thanks 😊

Don’t know if it helps, but I got offered a BPC place yesterday. My selection event was Saturday.
Reply 16
Hello!
I want to apply for the MA law SQE online. Just wondered how difficult it is to get in? For instance, how good does the personal statement have to be? On par with the undergraduate one?
Additionally, I was wondering what the commitment is like? I’m working whilst looking after a one year old, therefore, will only have a couple of hours in the evenings and some weekends.
Thank you in advance
Original post by Jac1988
Hello!
I want to apply for the MA law SQE online. Just wondered how difficult it is to get in? For instance, how good does the personal statement have to be? On par with the undergraduate one?
Additionally, I was wondering what the commitment is like? I’m working whilst looking after a one year old, therefore, will only have a couple of hours in the evenings and some weekends.
Thank you in advance

I’m doing the same course on campus this year, and to be completely honest, it’s incredibly intense from everything I’ve heard and seen so far. The actual requirements for application will be competitive but totally doable, but I think from reflection of my personal statement, it should be above that level considering you’ll have done an undergrad at this point, so technically should have more to speak of.

Maybe consider a part time MA instead if possible? That way it may be easier for you to juggle and still get the same qualification!
Reply 18
Hello,
Have just applied for a MA law conversion but still wondering if I should do the MA Law SQE1 route?

Have heard that after doing a GDL one should be able to sit the SQE without prep courses so my thinking was to get a dissertation in to start developing a special interest on the CV. And to try to sit the SQE after MA law conversion without the SQE prep course

What were you guys’ thinking process on this? Would love to hear and learn!
Hi everyone, congrats if you’ve applied and been accepted & congrats Nic ULaw ambassador & MA student you are always so helpful & informative. I’ve been thinking of applying to Uni law for a while but different things happen. I really need to knuckle down and apply. I may have to apply to a few courses as it’s a bit confusing MA/LLM the new qualifications… I have law books I read from an old friend who did Uni law. Also want to apply to LSBU as an alumni. Good luck I know I need it Nathalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending