The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Bsc psychology with clinical gcse flexibility

Hi,
I'm currently doing an access course in psychology with the dream of taking psychology at sussex. I'm doing very well on my course so far (15 distinctions & 3 merits), but I'm concerned I will not meet the gcse maths requirement (grade 5). I have a grade 4 in maths. I was wondering if there's a chance of leniency if I overachieve on my access course?

21 distinctions and the rest merits are the access requirements to be accepted.

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I'm currently doing an access course in psychology with the dream of taking psychology at sussex. I'm doing very well on my course so far (15 distinctions & 3 merits), but I'm concerned I will not meet the gcse maths requirement (grade 5). I have a grade 4 in maths. I was wondering if there's a chance of leniency if I overachieve on my access course?

Thank you

afai if u dont meet the basic requirements for a course ur immediately rejected. Universities receive thousands of applications so to them its j a quick way of reducing the applicants.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Thank you

Hey,

It would probably be best to contact the admissions team directly, so they can clarify this matter. You can email [email protected] or call +44 (0)1273 678416 if you have applied. if you haven't applied yet, you can call +44 (0)1273 876787 or ask us a question.

You could alternatively apply for a Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc (Hons). The University of Sussex also makes Contextual Offers, which are slightly lower offers compared to a typical offer. For more information about the application process, please visit here.

I was in a similar situation where my GCSE maths grade was lower than the minimum requirements for the BSc Computer Science (Hons) course. I decided to apply to the Computing Sciences (with a foundation year) BSc (Hons) at Sussex and it gave me great insight into whether or not I wanted to continue studying computer science and I gained valuable experience such as report writing, giving presentations and learning how to program in C++ from doing a foundation year!

In the end, I decided to go with BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (Hons) which I don't think I would have chosen if I did not do a foundation year and had extra time to decide which course was best suited for me. I also had the chance to talk to university staff and current 1st-year students about the different courses to really solidify my choice and I have been happy with my course choice ever since. I was also able to meet amazing people through the foundation year course and as you've studied together for a year already and you would already have familiar faces and a sense of community when you start your 1st year at university. You will also be equipped with the relevant skills you need, so you won't feel so lost when you receive your first assignment during your 1st year which I think is a great benefit from doing a foundation year as you will have a head start compared to your peers.

I hope this helps - If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask :cute:

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending