The Student Room Group

Try a 11 plus exam from the 1950's online: Why is it so hard?

Scroll to see replies

Zayne
It's bitchin'

I do have a gripe with the opposition removal process: eastern europeans are generally much more value for money than their American counterparts :yep:

You've been reading our book :yep:
*Scratches head* Well I did the 11+ (NI version) back in Nov 2000 and it seems quite similar but we have science as well. :rolleyes:
Well, I got 75/80 (94%) in 47 minutes. I'm 15. I don't know what else to say.:frown:
Reply 23
106% (86/80), I guess I'm just too clever.
arson
Well, I got 75/80 (94%) in 47 minutes. I'm 15. I don't know what else to say.:frown:

Good boy:smile: Join labour:biggrin:
It took me 58 minutes:s-smilie:

I got 73, but might have missed a few of the wordy ones as my English vocabulary is more limited than a native speaker...
Reply 26
There was a programme on this. When I checked out old GCSE papers (especially in the sciences) I was like "Wtf?!"
Your score is 91% – that's 73/80. I don't know how long it took me though :/

None too shabby, if I do say so myself. I never want to do one of those "missing number" questions again though, please.
I'm quite confident I got all the mathsy ones right as they were just a bit tedious and I checked them (so wasted some time!).

I don't really feel it's too difficult for a say 12 year old, but the time constraint is relatively strict. It is very biased towards maths/logic, so a very restricted way of measuring whether someone would be a good student at a school.
Lucy Pevensie

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry, I'm more of an intellectual.
Reply 30
nuodai
106% (86/80), I guess I'm just too clever.

86/80 = 107.5% :rolleyes:
Reply 31
g_star_raw_1989
Read my book..... The Dictionary :yep:

You are Samuel Johnson and I claim my £5 :biggrin:
devongirl
You are Samuel Johnson and I claim my £5 :biggrin:

Huh.... :s-smilie:
Reply 33
73/80

It's pretty much an IQ test based on what kids then would have known about.
Reply 34
Lucy Pevensie
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/teachem/test.html

I got 69 out of 80 and it took 50 minutes. Its good, but im 16, and a good grammar school student by todays standards. I found it REALLY hard, I mean the questions werent inherently hard its just messy and the time limit is freaking me out. How could they put 11 year old children through this back then? The eleven year old that can pass the grammar school limit (50%) must be unnaturally smart:rolleyes:

This is because what you have learnt is not as...practical as what was learnt back in the 50's.

also, just out of curiosity, how can you be a "good grammer school student" yet support Labour? Wheres the logic in that?

edit: Only the top 10% of the brightest were sent to university. And rightly so. Why should there be morons at university?
Took me about 45 minutes.

'Your score is 99% – that's 79/80'

Seemed reasonable, to be honest. Maybe required a little bit more subtlety than I'd have expected of an 11 year old in a couple of the English questions.
Lucy Pevensie

Labour, are you taking the piss?
Reply 37
haha...i only did half of it (too late to think) but that was really easy. Ask me 5 years beforehand tho...and i think id have a different perspective.
Reply 38
Your score is 69% – that's 55/80

I find this hilarious considering I'm in Mensa. I always do crap on tests *grumbles excuses*.

Did anyone else notice some of the questions were broken? I think it was on one of the missing numbers questions, I think the second lot, the third and fourth questions down?
Reply 39
BJack
86/80 = 107.5% :rolleyes:

(Smell the irony :p: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending