The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
katechar_X
So many universities offer psychology (c800) so im not sure how to narrow down my choices.
Does anyone know which universities are best to study psychology in achademically -wise?(sp?)

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Psychology&sub=53&x=21&y=10

It depends what year you are applying because they change I suspect. :smile:
Reply 3
open university! You don't have to attend lectures.
Reply 4
Do you want to work as a psychologst (or would you like to keep this option open?) If so, then you'll need an accredited degree.

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/accredited-courses/accredited-courses_home.cfm?action=undergrad

Then think about location. Do you want a campus universty, with everything self-contained but often outside (or on the edge of)the city? Examples include York, Warwick and Exeter. Or do you want a "city" university, with the departments, colleges and other facilities integrated within the city eg. Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham (with the exception of Queens Campus, who offer applied psychology. Durham offer the stronger programme of straight psychology), Cardiff etc.

If the course is BPS accredited then this is some guarentee that the course is of a good standard and that it covers all the necessary areas of psychology required (to be a psychologist).
Reply 5
River85
Do you want to work as a psychologst (or would you like to keep this option open?) If so, then you'll need an accredited degree.

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/accredited-courses/accredited-courses_home.cfm?action=undergrad

Then think about location. Do you want a campus universty, with everything self-contained but often outside (or on the edge of)the city? Examples include York, Warwick and Exeter. Or do you want a "city" university, with the departments, colleges and other facilities integrated within the city eg. Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham (with the exception of Queens Campus, who offer applied psychology. Durham offer the stronger programme of straight psychology), Cardiff etc.

If the course is BPS accredited then this is some guarentee that the course is of a good standard and that it covers all the necessary areas of psychology required (to be a psychologist).

Im hoping to eventually go on to be a clinical psychologist so i'm planning on doing an accredited degree. I dont mind where i go, but i'd rather go to a uni which is very respected for their psychology degree, if that makes sense?
Reply 6
I'd say York and Cardiff are worth checking out, as is St Andrews which was rated highly for psychology last year. Bristol is also pretty good (as is Birmingham!), but if you're not sure about grades I would put Bangor as a back up as their department is very good but doesn't require such high A Level results.
Reply 7
Would i stand a chance at getting int Cardiff uni, ive i got 4 A levels at A grade (Psychology, sociology, english literature and religious studies). Or with those grades would there be anywhere better i could aim for?
Reply 8
St Andrews and York.
Reply 9
katechar_X
Would i stand a chance at getting int Cardiff uni, ive i got 4 A levels at A grade (Psychology, sociology, english literature and religious studies). Or with those grades would there be anywhere better i could aim for?

You could aim for anywhere with those grades in my opinion. Only problem might be the lack of sciences. And yes, you would stand a chance at getting into Cardiff.

Latest