The Student Room Group

Take up a 4th subject for security, or concentrate on 3?

Currently, I'm only doing 3 AS Levels, which are English Lit, Biology, and Geography. With Geography, although I find some of the concepts new and challenging (with the physical side mainly), I am managing to keep my head above water, however, with Biology, I'm really starting to worry. The sheer amount to learn and remember seems daunting and I really do feel a bit out of my depth, as a lot of the others in the class seem fanatical, and just seem to immediately know the answer for things I have to think about for ages. I really don't know what grade to expect in Biology, I would like to think a minimum of a C, but I don't really know how good you have to be to get that. What worries me is, I've been told that a C in Biology is equivalent to an A in softer subjects, and that scares me.

English Lit seems to be the only subject I am managing really well, I am able to produce fairly decent work, and I don't find it too daunting at all. Yes, challenging at times, but never daunting. I really wish I had have chosen subjects which use similar skills to what is required in English, I may do better.

Another thing is, it seems the majority of people are doing 4 ASs, and in general drop the one they did worse in, or particularly dislike at A2. As I'm only doing 3, and one of them is a bit shaky, as security, do you think it would be worth self-studying one in my own time? I was thinking of something like Classical Civilisation, Religious Studies, or maybe History. Something along those lines. How difficult would they be and would it be possible to self study?

Also, if I was to ask the school whether I could sit the exam at the same time their course is, I'm assuming I would have to study exactly the same modules as the school is currently doing in order for it to work?

Thanks
Reply 1
I started my AS year with Bio, Chem, D&T and Maths. Bio was just mad and I wasn't getting very good grades in end of unit tests so I dropped it.
I didn't think that doing 3AS's put me at any disadvantage.. but then again I didn't want to apply for Oxbridge.

If you think you can handle self-studying another AS then go for it, but don't jeopardise your other grades.
I did 4 AS and found the work load crazy and I got BCDE in my first year which I was horrified about. Dropped one and got great A Levels.

3 means you can manage the work load and concentrate and get 3 A's/B's - if you think it will affect your other grades don't do it.
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure History has a lot more facts to learn than Biology, so if you're struggling with Biology I wouldn't take History.. Although I don't take either so I might be completely wrong.

Latest