The Student Room Group

Home fee status based on long residence

Hi, I am asking this question for my daughter. She is 18, been living in the UK for a total of 10 years (that is more than half her life). She studied in UK from year 1 to year 4 and then again from year 7 to year 13. She will get her ILR in a years time. But based on the fact that she has lived here for 10 years, can she claim home student status based on long residence. Since her residence of 10 years is broken into two stints of 3 years and 7 years with a gap of 2 years in between, will there be any issues or will there be any additional evidence to be provided? Also, student nationality is Indian and she did her year 5 and year 6 schooling in India. Her entire stay in UK has been completely legal on various tier 2 child dependant visas. Will the fact that the 10 year stay is not continuous create any hassles. Please provide your inputsThanks
Original post by kdpln
Hi, I am asking this question for my daughter. She is 18, been living in the UK for a total of 10 years (that is more than half her life). She studied in UK from year 1 to year 4 and then again from year 7 to year 13. She will get her ILR in a years time. But based on the fact that she has lived here for 10 years, can she claim home student status based on long residence. Since her residence of 10 years is broken into two stints of 3 years and 7 years with a gap of 2 years in between, will there be any issues or will there be any additional evidence to be provided? Also, student nationality is Indian and she did her year 5 and year 6 schooling in India. Her entire stay in UK has been completely legal on various tier 2 child dependant visas. Will the fact that the 10 year stay is not continuous create any hassles. Please provide your inputsThanks

I'd strongly recommend speaking to the experts about this - UKCISA give guidance to universities on how to interpret the UK student funding regulations and they run a student advice line https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCISA/Contact-us#layer-6404

Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 which is open at the following times:
Monday to Friday (except for public holidays): 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time)

It's busy but they're an absolutely excellent source of advice and support with questions like this.
Reply 2
Thank you
Reply 3
I contacted them. It seems this is a grey area and subject to each individual university’s interpretation. I would be interested to know if anyone in a similar situation got a home fee status and if so, from which university. Thanks.
Reply 4
We are in the same situation. Almost 4 years will be here. GCSE and A-levels are also from UK schools.

Could you share your experience and the final result you got?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending