The Student Room Group

Please help me!!!

I am thinking of applying to universities in the UK but I am a resident of an EU country. However, my father is working in the UK and, as a family member, I managed to receive the settlement status. As far as I know, in order to qualify for home fees at universities, one has to live in the UK for three years before the start of a course at university, but I haven't lived there for such a long time. Can someone help me? Will I qualify as an international student that pays the international fees or home student? Or should I reach out to universities and ask them about this situation?
Original post by Cristina8383
I am thinking of applying to universities in the UK but I am a resident of an EU country. However, my father is working in the UK and, as a family member, I managed to receive the settlement status. As far as I know, in order to qualify for home fees at universities, one has to live in the UK for three years before the start of a course at university, but I haven't lived there for such a long time. Can someone help me? Will I qualify as an international student that pays the international fees or home student? Or should I reach out to universities and ask them about this situation?

UKCISA is a good site that lays out the criteria that unis use when determining your fee status.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/fees-and-money/home-or-overseas-fees-the-basics

It used to be the case that you'd need either 3 years being 'ordinarily resident', (IE not solely for education purposes), or being granted indefinite leave to remain. I am unsure where settled status falls amongst that.

Unis will probably just point you to UKCISA and might not provide much guidance before you apply, (because it's a long-winded process to determine so they won't want to do it for someone that may never apply).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending