The Student Room Group

Dissertation Support!!!!

Hi everyone!

I have a 8000 word dissertation due on 12th of May and I am freaking out.
Alongside two 2000 word essays, which are due on the 10th and 20th.
I should have an accepted exceptional circumstances late claim for 7 days, just waiting now.

History BA - Dissertation focus on Charles Darwin and Victorian Masculinity

I have a pretty solid plan, a large amount of research, a good knowledge of my subject, and have written previous essays on this subject and did well in them. But....
When I sit down to write my dissertation it feels like all of a sudden there is no plan, no research, my brain closes down and I just research in circles with no actual content being written.
When I get started I'm good, I can write 1000 words easily, take a break, and continue but it takes me hours to get started, I shake, panic attacks, stress fever, and complete brain block.

With the 12th May and all other deadlines approaching fast. I need to know if this is possible?!

Tomorrow I have my last meeting with my dissertation tutor and then I know I can get my last questions answered and start but is it enough time?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by amitchell57
Hi everyone!

I should have an accepted exceptional circumstances late claim for 7 days, just waiting now.

I have a pretty solid plan, a large amount of research, a good knowledge of my subject, and have written previous essays on this subject and did well in them. But....
When I sit down to write my dissertation it feels like all of a sudden there is no plan, no research, my brain closes down and I just research in circles with no actual content being written.
When I get started I'm good, I can write 1000 words easily, take a break, and continue but it takes me hours to get started, I shake, panic attacks, stress fever, and complete brain block.

With the 12th May and all other deadlines approaching fast. I need to know if this is possible?!

Tomorrow I have my last meeting with my dissertation tutor and then I know I can get my last questions answered and start but is it enough time?

Hi @amitchell57

So if you plan on hitting the first deadline, you have 14 days. And while I don't know how much you already have written, having a solid plan is a good place to start.

Unfortunately, on a short deadline like this, sometimes we just have to push through the stress, thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel. If you are having panic attacks and the like, I would recommend you contacting your university's wellbeing team and seeing what support they can offer you during or even after this.

If you can push through and you already have a plan, it's plausible for you to do to the work at this time, keeping focused, sleeping eating, and drinking plenty of water will help, and planning you're time.

My advice would be, if you find your self crashing, just write something down, it doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to be the final draft, but getting something down will not only help your brain almost click into action but by having something down and not staring at a blank page can help make it feel like slightly less of a mammoth task.

Good luck,
All the best,
Cat, York St John Univeristy Student Ambassador
Hi everyone!

Hi @amitchell57

im in a similar situation to you! Final year of undergrad with a 10,000 word dissertation and 2 3,000 word assignments and a 1,000 word assignment due in 3 weeks. Ive been struggling mentally all year, and had quite a few family issues (covid wise :frown:) so I decided that deferring would be the best for me. ill have till august to complete my dissertation and one of the assignments. The only downside is ill get my results back in Autumn instead of July and wont graduate with my friends or coursemates, but honestly its better than flopping my degree. Talk to your tutor and see what’s available for you!
I feel that the above response is super good advice. Please, if you can, prioritise your wellbeing. Pretty much all lecturers/markers understand, especially during these times, the necessity of putting your mental health first (panic attacks shouldn't be suffered through). That's not to say that the dissertation is too difficult for you to finish but that please ask your uni for help and extension to the deadline :smile:

(also i love your research title - sounds super interesting), and

I'm in a similar boat. Deadline for undergrad diss on May 26th, I can request a 2 week extension on top of that.
Good luck:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by racheljyne
I feel that the above response is super good advice. Please, if you can, prioritise your wellbeing. Pretty much all lecturers/markers understand, especially during these times, the necessity of putting your mental health first (panic attacks shouldn't be suffered through). That's not to say that the dissertation is too difficult for you to finish but that please ask your uni for help and extension to the deadline :smile:

(also i love your research title - sounds super interesting), and

I'm in a similar boat. Deadline for undergrad diss on May 26th, I can request a 2 week extension on top of that.
Good luck:smile:

Aha thank you! honestly i was stressing over all my work to the point where i was having 2-3 panic attacks everyday, could barely sleep and was losing hair (family issues + covid ill disabled parent + final year uni = hell). This was the best decision for me. Its better to graduate late than not graduate at all
Hi everyone!

Hello @amitchell57,

The last push can be super stressful but try be motivated by the end line!

It sounds like you've got a good plan going on so have some confidence in your ability. It will be hard final push but it sounds like you're more than capable of pulling it off! People have left themselves with far less time to complete their dissertations in the past, don't feel like you're alone in this.

Keep motivated, take breaks when you need it and break your workload down into manageable chunks, you got this!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - Student Ambassador
Reply 6
request an extension on your assignments, to allow you more time to write the best essays you can. If you do apply for extensions, don't wait for them to get back to you to start though. You will need to be organised so you should create plans for all your essays, perhaps using bullet points listing how you are going to write the essay, what is going to go where etc. You should follow your learning outcome, don't waste time on anything that your learning outcome does not specify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending