The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Students houses, life and life cost in Brighton

Hi guys, I have an offer at Uni of Sussex for a masters degree. I want to learn more about the life, and cost of living in Brighton. Are dormitories cheaper than student houses (planning to rent a room)? Is living in Brighton really as expensive as living in London? How is the daily life in Brighton? Is it easy to find a part-time job?
Hi @Seyms,

Congratulations on recieving your offer from Sussex for a masters degree! I am currently studying an undergraduate at Sussex so I can tell you a bit about living there.

From my experience I would say accomodation on campus is more expensive than student houses. However, this depends on if you need accomodation for the full year or for the academic year. If you are needing accomodation for the full year (12 months) then student houses are the cheaper option! Nevertheless, it might be helpful to look at the accomodation on campus price list which shows the different prices of accomodation available on campus. Also, as you are planning to rent a room I would say the University of Sussex House Hunt Group would also be a good place to start to find a room off of campus as this is where people often find housemates!

I would say that living in Brighton can be as expensive as living in London but there is a wide range of different renting prices with some being cheaper and others being on the more expensive side. In terms of daily life in Brighton, I would say that it is a nice and friendly area with lots to do. I particularly enjoyed shopping in Brighton as there is a lot of independent shops.

In terms of finding a part-time job, there are quite a few jobs available on campus and off of campus in Brighton. For jobs on campus like working in co-op or the student union shop you would need to apply a month or so before you arrive however this may have changed . These kinds of jobs advertise on the sussex student union website. There are also other jobs that are available to students on campus such as student ambassador jobs, jobs working within your particular school of study, and other part time jobs which tend to be advertised through the careers and employability centre.

However, if you are wanting a part time job off of campus there are also jobs in Brighton in retail, restaurants, supermarkets and independent shops that would allow you to have regular work.

I hope that this has helped! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask!
Best wishes,
Merade (Yr 3 History and Politics BA)
(edited 2 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending